Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #61
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Back in the intro to this report you showed us your DR-Z (?) shod with nobbies. Have most of your travels been on paved surfaces? Have you changed tires yet? Is finding the necessary sizes an issue where you have been?
I'm thoroughly enjoying you photos and report.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #62
fortrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
damn bud, sounds like you r having too much fun. Enjoy your ride and keep the good photos coming. I know you are missing the beautiful CO snow about now. Be safe and let me know if you need anything from this end.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #63
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
Back in the intro to this report you showed us your DR-Z (?) shod with nobbies. Have most of your travels been on paved surfaces? Have you changed tires yet? Is finding the necessary sizes an issue where you have been?
I'm thoroughly enjoying you photos and report.
Thanks... glad you're enjoying the report. My bike is a DR650, not a DRZ. The tires currently on the bike are Dunlop 606's, and they are knobbies. At the time of purchase, I was planning a Baja trip. I've put about 3K on them and hope they'll make it home with about 7K on them... we'll see. Dual Sport tires would be better suited to the riding I'm doing. And that's what should be on my bike. Best of luck with your tire choice.
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #64
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortrider View Post
damn bud, sounds like you r having too much fun. Enjoy your ride and keep the good photos coming. I know you are missing the beautiful CO snow about now. Be safe and let me know if you need anything from this end.
Hey Steve, Yes I'm having a great time. I am definitely not missing the snow, or the cold temps. Thanks for watching out for me... it's appreciated.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #65
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Day 11 - Family Day in el D.F.

Natalia has lots of family in Mexico City, and some members are coming over today (Sunday) for lunch. It was a great opportunity for me to meet and to see them interact.

Everyone is helping with meal preparations.

Matt and Natalia's family will grow by 1 in April.

I didn't need to understand what was said (no hablo español) to know that there was a ton of laughter, conversation, and love shared between them... and it lasted for hours.

The kids attend private schools, where half of their classes are in Spanish and the other half in English. We talked... and they even gave me some Spanish lessons.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #66
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Day 12 - Mexico City to Oaxaca

I was up early and on the road. My ride across the city in Monday morning commuter traffic had me a little nervous. But it went much better than expected.

About 100 miles north of Oaxaca, I stopped to take a few landscape pics.

Bienvenidos a Oaxaca,

The Hostel Don Nino, my spot for the night.

Oaxaca is a magnificent colonial city. I took a walk after dinner to check it out.

The food vendor in the park across from my Hostel is catching some late action.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #67
m_p_w
Unfunempolyed

Oddometer: 35
Jim,

Was awesome to catch up in DF. While the Sunday lunch was a bit unexpected, I'm glad I had another gringo to share the experience that is a family lunch in Mexico.

Can't wait to see where your trip goes. Stay safe bro!

All the best,

- M
m_p_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #68
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_p_w View Post
Jim,

Was awesome to catch up in DF. While the Sunday lunch was a bit unexpected, I'm glad I had another gringo to share the experience that is a family lunch in Mexico.

Can't wait to see where your trip goes. Stay safe bro!

All the best,

- M
Many thanks to you and Natalia. I had a fabulous time. Again, thanks for the good wishes!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #69
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Day 13 - Oaxaca to Zanatepec

While I was packing my bike in the Lobby this morning, I had another one of those small world experiences. Uti, Matt's brother-in-law walked in from the dinning area. Last winter, Matt, Uti, and I rode together from el D.F. to Oaxaca and on to Puerto Angel, down on the Golfo de Tehuantepec. To be surprised by an old friend... what a great way to start the day!

About an hour or so out of Oaxaca, I began to climb up into the mountains. The road was motorcycle heaven... and the views weren't too bad either.

Continuing eastward on 190 toward San Cristóbal de las Casas, I crossed the narrowest section of Mexico, the Istmo de Tehuantepec. The expansive wind farms confirm that the wind blows here... it was blowing, but not too bad. I soon came upon traffic completely stopped. So I did what all moto riders do in Mexico, I went to the front of the line. What I found was unexpected, a large group of people were sitting in chairs and blocking all vehicles from passing. I mimed my request to go around... and they let me pass. The moto Gods have smiled again! The protest was a momentary flashback to the 60's... minus the tie-dye and reefer. I rode on!

It was a huge traffic mess.

So after a no-so-demanding day, I took to the hammock. Life is good!

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 06:27 PM
Old 02-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #70
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Great report....

I'm in....
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #71
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
Great report....

I'm in....
Thanks PlznMySoul. Welcome!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #72
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Hi Jim, Cool RR as usual! Great to see you on the road again, Looks like your on about the same route I took last winter, I did a short jaunt down to Cabo and back on the Sherpa a few months back, but no mainland riding this time.
I see Matt, (Hi Matt!) got a 660 Tenere, another bonus of living in Mexico, wish we could get them here in the US.
Glad to hear you got the camera fixed, You take some really amazing pics.
Stay safe.
Dan
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #73
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Hi Jim, Cool RR as usual! Great to see you on the road again, Looks like your on about the same route I took last winter, I did a short jaunt down to Cabo and back on the Sherpa a few months back, but no mainland riding this time.
I see Matt, (Hi Matt!) got a 660 Tenere, another bonus of living in Mexico, wish we could get them here in the US.
Glad to hear you got the camera fixed, You take some really amazing pics.
Stay safe.
Dan
Hey Dan. I share your wishes on the Tenere. Good to hear from you. Jim
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #74
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,417
Best of luck!
No way in hell I would ride in Mexico with a camo bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #75
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,417

always a good time there.
spent the winter there 2 ago.
working on heading back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
Didn't make it to Puerto Vallarta. Just didn't want to stay in the big city, so I stopped short. I left Mazatlán after breakfast at Machado Fish Taco on the Plaza... around 9. The first several hours were unexciting road and scenery, but it was nice to be back on the bike. Had lunch at a stand by a Pemex, after fueling up. I think I was justified being a bit concerned about the food quality... check out their setup. Not to worry though, the chile was good... chunks of pork in red sauce, with rice and beans... fresh tortillas. Serious fuel for me!

Took 15 south, staying on the libre when there was an option. The riding got interesting once I turned off for San Blas. The town of San Blas is worthwhile checking out. Unfortunately, I didn't stop for pics, feeling like I had to make some miles. But I did film it with my new toy, a GoPro. So when I get it together, I'll post some videos. The riding from San Blas to Sayulita was fun... in and out of the jungle/forest with some twisties and sweepers as the road cut through the some hilly areas. Again, I took some video.

I had some expectations as to what I'd find in Sayulita, a beach town with quite a few Canadians and U.S. But I was disappointed to see what appeared to be more whites than Mexicans. Yes, the town is colorful, with narrow cobbled streets and pleasing architecture, but damn, this place feels too familiar. I nearly got back on my bike after stopping by the plaza for a break. But the decision was made to stay once I found a hotel recommendation just around the corner. It was last afternoon and I was tired... I soon realized I made the right choice. Here are a few pics of the streets and beach.

I'm staying at Petite Hotel Hafa, just around the corner from the plaza. It's quite nice and over my budget... but every once in a while it's nice to mix it up. And for dinner I had the absolute best Pollo Enchiladas Mole at Yeikame, an authentic Mexican Restaurant. I not a big fan of food pics, but I'm breaking the rules.

And finally, here are my tracks for the day. I can't explain why some are spaced so far apart... I wasn't riding THAT fast!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote