User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Italian Alps - route input

So we are finally doing it. The Italian Alps. Landing in Milan - we'll ride over to Lago Garda (Passo Nota & Tremalzo).

We're then heading to Verona to see Museo Nicolis, then head to the foot of the Dolomites through Bassano del Grappa for some Grappa & Amaro.

The Dolomites - Passo Fedaia, Cortina, Tre Croci, Falzarego, Arabba, Passo Pordoi, Gardena.

We'll run over to Ponte di Legno, Passo Tonale, Gaiu and up Malga dei Forni.

Next it's Stelvio, Umbrail and heading down around Passo San Marco and then to Lugano.

Looking at 7 days on the bikes (about 250 km / day)

Any ideas on things to see?

Mike
ktmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
budsin1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
That's a great route! Looks like you've found all the best places already - the passes! :)

What is the timeframe of your trip? If it's between June and October, you're gonna love it.

Just make sure you have room for wine and cheese (both in the belly and in the saddlebags)!!

-- and if you'd like a great B&B recommendation just north of Verona (Excellent wine region - Valpollicella), PM me.

tj
budsin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
+1.

I think Gardena and Sella are near Pordoi.

Suggest Gavia on the same day as Stelvio and Umbrail.

I like this site for motorcycle friendly hotels:
http://www.tourenfahrer-hotels.de/
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Tremalzo has been closed for m'cycles for a few years now.
If you stay in/ around Tremosine for a night or 2, your host can help you to get a (written) once-off permit. The road is patrolled regularly and fines for not having a permit have been fairly drastic (speak: expensive!) in some cases.
Nota and the rest of the western approaches are fine.

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 738
See if you can fit in the Passo di San Boldo, my favourite from last year.....

Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

I heard that you needed a Pass for Tremalzo so we've already contacted the local municipality and the hotel we are staying at. We are staying in the area for two nights so I don't see an issue but.... From what I understand it's 75Euro if you get caught without a permit - all things considered this trip has been too many years in the making so as the french say 'c'est la vie'.

Passo San Boldo is one I wanted to do - all depends on how we feel, I have a two hour ride to the hotel from Bassano Del Grappa, going to San Boldo adds 90 minutes so if we fresh it's definitely on the list and the route is already in the gps.

thanks for the input so far

Mike
Old 02-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Since seems that you are not afraid of gravel roads , may I suggest to stop in dolomites inside mountain huts?
exceptional panorama, good food and an experience to remember . If you need advices, just tell me - I rode them all.

Another hint : very near Bassano del Grappa, the museo Bonfanti , as interesting as the Nicolis
http://www.museobonfanti.veneto.it/en/
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,980
Regarding Stelvio. The One side is excellent the other is just not as much fun.

We met some Germans who stayed at the top of Stelvio at the ski lodge. They had had 3 great runs up and down the pass shown in the video before the traffic started.

Here is a link to us riding a bit of the nice side of the pass two up.

http://youtu.be/sq1DsUwPi70
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 AM   #9
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
Regarding Stelvio. The One side is excellent the other is just not as much fun.

We met some Germans who stayed at the top of Stelvio at the ski lodge. They had had 3 great runs up and down the pass shown in the video before the traffic started.

Here is a link to us riding a bit of the nice side of the pass two up.

http://youtu.be/sq1DsUwPi70

It must be me then but I actually like the East Side
Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #10
furbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
+1.

I think Gardena and Sella are near Pordoi.

Suggest Gavia on the same day as Stelvio and Umbrail.
From your note "We'll run over to Ponte di Legno, Passo Tonale, Gaiu "

If you're in Ponte d' Legno (psso d'Aprica') and tonale territory, you're probably looking at Psso Gavia - not Psso Giau. Giau is just SE of Psso Falzarego out of Cortina.

Of the passes around the Sella Mastiff, you've listed the N Pass (Gardena/Grodnerjoch) and the S pass, Pordoi.

Coming from Cortina, I'd skip (or catch last) the Pordoi, and take in the E Pass (Valparola or Campolungo*) then the Gardena, then the W pass (Sella) down into Canazei, S to Vigo di Fassa, take in the Psso Costalunga, then go up to Welchsnofen into Bolzano. Then make your way toward the Psso Tonale & Stelvio area.

And - if you can educate yourself as to WWI history - paritularly on the Falzarego, Campolungo and Tonale passes, the odd statues everywhere will make better sense.

Buon Viaggio sai!
furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali in Austria View Post
It must be me then but I actually like the East Side
Well we did ride it when a 600 bicycle race up the pass was ongoing.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
Since seems that you are not afraid of gravel roads , may I suggest to stop in dolomites inside mountain huts?
exceptional panorama, good food and an experience to remember . If you need advices, just tell me - I rode them all.

Another hint : very near Bassano del Grappa, the museo Bonfanti , as interesting as the Nicolis
http://www.museobonfanti.veneto.it/en/

Love gravel and dirt. Can't wait. Would love visit a mountain hut in the dolomites - can you recommed a few? Greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #13
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmpilot View Post
From what I understand it's 75Euro if you get caught without a permit - all things considered this trip has been too many years in the making so as the french say 'c'est la vie'.
Doubt that the German tourist from Hamburg said the same thing after his bike was impounded for 6 weeks in 2010 or '11. Guess, a local cop just wanted to make a statement as there haven't been anymore incident reports I tripped over in the German-speaking forums since.
Just goes to show that something like that can easily spoil a great ride.
Same goes for other places, particularly in Italy. ( quite a few similar reports from the southern areas/ Piemonte/ Liguria etc.)
If they come down, they come down like a ton-of-bricks and it doesn't matter who cops it.

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
Doubt that the German tourist from Hamburg said the same thing after his bike was impounded for 6 weeks in 2010 or '11. Guess, a local cop just wanted to make a statement as there haven't been anymore incident reports I tripped over in the German-speaking forums since.
Just goes to show that something like that can easily spoil a great ride.
Same goes for other places, particularly in Italy. ( quite a few similar reports from the southern areas/ Piemonte/ Liguria etc.)
If they come down, they come down like a ton-of-bricks and it doesn't matter who cops it.
THANK YOU !! - point taken - the "impounding" didn't cross my mind and appreciate the note - I figured I could live with a fine but you are 100% right and it's not worth risking the trip. Not that we weren't going to get a permit.

We've already contacted the hotel and commune for a permit.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #15
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbo View Post
From your note "We'll run over to Ponte di Legno, Passo Tonale, Gaiu "

If you're in Ponte d' Legno (psso d'Aprica') and tonale territory, you're probably looking at Psso Gavia - not Psso Giau. Giau is just SE of Psso Falzarego out of Cortina.

Of the passes around the Sella Mastiff, you've listed the N Pass (Gardena/Grodnerjoch) and the S pass, Pordoi.

Coming from Cortina, I'd skip (or catch last) the Pordoi, and take in the E Pass (Valparola or Campolungo*) then the Gardena, then the W pass (Sella) down into Canazei, S to Vigo di Fassa, take in the Psso Costalunga, then go up to Welchsnofen into Bolzano. Then make your way toward the Psso Tonale & Stelvio area.

And - if you can educate yourself as to WWI history - paritularly on the Falzarego, Campolungo and Tonale passes, the odd statues everywhere will make better sense.

Buon Viaggio sai!
I'm ex-military so I can't wait to see the structures and monuments