Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmpilot View Post
I'm ex-military so I can't wait to see the structures and monuments
Then don't miss Piz Laguzoi, take the cable car from the top of Falzarego and spend a couple of hours in those rock-formations which have been hollowed out like a beehive "for tactical warfare".

Just a little blurp of the 3-week ride-report.

#########################################

September/ October

3 weeks and a bit.

T1 had switched things from bad to worse...there was a yearning for those alpine roads and places that'll just never let us go for the rest of our lives, the hook was in.

Same time of year again....Temps are down, tourists are out, autumn colours and low-season prices are on, roads empty.
Lots of blue skies and occasionally some fresh snow overnight for the perfect dream-finish to the whole package.

Main targets were any roads and tracks of the Eastern Alps that didn't exceed a lane-and-a-half in width.
Or had gravel.... and/or led to some spectacular places waaaayyyy up there.

From the Old Town of Aarau/ Switzerland....

...to the cobblestones of the Grossglockner/ Austria...

....meeting up with Hans (Asphalt), Elisabeth and Michael (Castle-of-Teck)

Rode the Vrsic Saddle and Mangart in Slovenia

Dined like kings

The Radovna Rd., gawked at Lake Bohinjsko

Took the Slovenian Border Ridge Rd. (slobber)

Casson di Lanza, a night at Granny's at Paularo in the Friuli

Saw wild horses on The Panoramica delle Vette

Many others in between that brought tears of pleasure to minds and souls, before the quirky San Boldo appeared from no where

Spent a day climbing around the Piz Laguzoi and WW1 trenches and dug-outs before getting jelly-kneed on the descent to the Falzarego-Saddle

Passo de Manghen on the way south

The Kaiserjaegerstrasse above Lake Caldonazzo makes you stammer and stutter

The little town of Storo at night

Passo Maniva, Vivione..

....the Gavia

For the whole yarn and the rest of the ~1600 pics, most of them quite exceptional:

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2645

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
Sparke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
More suggestions

I too highly suggest Maniva, it was a highlight of my 2011 5 week tour. Mangart was also excellent.

The permit to ride Tremolzo and Nota is available free of charge if you are staying in a local hotel, from the municipal office in the town square in Pieve.

The route from the lakeside of Garda to Pieve is unique.

In Pieve stop in a hotel Paradiso for a coffee on the balcony. It's the second best place to sit in the Alps. The best place is ON A MOTORCYCLE!
Sparke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
Curveball
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Congestion

There is big annual motorcycle event in Sondalo 26-29 June and therefore lots of bikes going up and down Stelvio. It may be advisable to avoid that region during those dates.
Events or not, summer weekends in Stelvio are packed with people on all kinds of wheels, not to mention bicycle races - so planning is essential.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:51 AM   #19
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
...before the quirky San Boldo appeared from no where

GREAT pic of the San Boldo - I've never been there with a wide enough lens

The pass in 1976-ish - no guard rails (to speak of), 2 way traffic (no taking turns) and no lights in the tunnels. Back in the days when men were men and women were glad.

You Tube video: Once through the tunnels from July of 2006.

If you do ride the San Boldo, you're at the top of the Prosecco wine area and are just a bit north of Conegliano, home to Italy's oldest and most prestigious wine school, the Scuola Enologica.

Just sayin
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #20
TrattoRAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Tremalzo requires pass. Pass can be issued by select hotels in the area to guest that spend three days/two nights in the area. Being stopped without a pass will definitely result in a fine. Authorities will only sequester your bike for serious offenses (no insurance, lack of required safety equipment, equipment that does not meet EU requirements, etc.). Of note is that the Tremalzo cannot be done with knobbies... so if you don't have a pass and you're using knobbies, you can pretty much count on getting more than a ticket. Logistics are a bit complicated for Tremalzo if your timeline is not flexible. You could substitute with Passo Dordona, which is longer and the pass can be obtained at the local city hall or tourism office, without any obligation for hotel stay. Not sure what the fee is, but last year it was EUR 5.00 (about $6).

Looks like you have a very nice route planned. Not sure when you lan on taking this trip, but keep in mind that many mountain passes don't open until May/June.

Bassano del Grappa is a beautiful area and also very close to the historic towns of Marostica and Asolo. Passo San Boldo is already open (went last weekend) as snow line is above 14/1500 meters.

Enjoy your trip. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions about the area or the dolomites.
TrattoRAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #21
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrattoRAZ View Post
Of note is that the Tremalzo cannot be done with knobbies... so if you don't have a pass and you're using knobbies, you can pretty much count on getting more than a ticket.
Don't seem real . if you have a tire with dimensions and speed marking equal than reported on bike documents , or even a lower speed rating but the M+S marking, nobody can fine you for this , knobbies or slick.

Even the "N.H.S" marking have absolutely no meaning in Italian and EC road code.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #22
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Thanks to all for their input

Were going the first 8 days in sept

Any suggestions on getting the pass - I've sent some emails with no responses to date

Mike
ktmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 AM   #23
TrattoRAZ
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
Don't seem real . if you have a tire with dimensions and speed marking equal than reported on bike documents , or even a lower speed rating but the M+S marking, nobody can fine you for this , knobbies or slick.

Even the "N.H.S" marking have absolutely no meaning in Italian and EC road code.
Giorgio XT,

I don't believe its a matter of having legal/omolugated tires. Here's the excerpt from the paperwork I received last July: "č fatto divieto assoluto al passaggio di moto da cross e moto con pneumatici tassellati" This translates to" it is absolutely prohibited to travel with motocross bikes and motorcylces with knobbie tires". Enduro or street tires are required... I used Pirelli Scorpions which are considered a 60/40 enduro tire. The way it was explained to me is they prohibit knobbies as aggressive riding with the knobbies increases the amount of trail maintenance and the added traction of knobbies encourages riders to ride more aggressively.

Personally, I believe that if you have a pass and ride responsibly (even with knobbies) you will be ok. However, if you don't have a pass and rip up the trails with knobbies you will run the risk of a fine and perhaps sequestration of the bike. There are always fewer mountain trails available to enduro/dual sport riders (especially in Italy).

Ciao
Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #24
TrattoRAZ
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks to all for their input

Were going the first 8 days in sept

Any suggestions on getting the pass - I've sent some emails with no responses to date

Mike

The pass is only issued by hotels in the town of Tremosine. Try this hotel: http://www.stelladorohotel.it/en/

Early September will be great. All the passes will still be open and the temperatures are still very comfortable. Last season I rode with armor and light shirt through late September. Less chance of rain than June-July timeframe. Good plan !

Ciao
Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #25
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrattoRAZ View Post
Giorgio XT,

I don't believe its a matter of having legal/omolugated tires. Here's the excerpt from the paperwork I received last July: "č fatto divieto assoluto al passaggio di moto da cross e moto con pneumatici tassellati" This translates to" it is absolutely prohibited to travel with motocross bikes and motorcylces with knobbie tires".

Classico esempio di disposizione comunale fatta in assoluta ignoranza della legge … non č certo l'unica , ma questo non vuol dire che sia valida , se venissi multato per questo farei ricorso e sarei certo della vittoria. E' purtroppo un brutto esempio di come ci si attacchi a pretesti per creare problemi alle moto pensando di averne vantaggi politici o di pubbliche relazioni…

Typical example of local administration law ignorance … not a lone example of a rule wrote despite laws (and thus in reality un-enforceable) for political/public relation reasons.

In the specific case : all Tremalzo roads have an hard gravel/rock ground that really won't be damaged by any number of bikes, with knobbies or road tires …

All the bike limitation is ridiculous , because car transit is allowed and free - and a 2WD car is much more prone to ruin the surface.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #26
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Permit for Tremalzo

I contacted

Ufficio Iat Lago d'Iseo e Franciacorta
Lungolago Marconi 2c-d
25049 Iseo (BS)
tel. 030 980209 fax 030 981361
iat.iseo@provincia.brescia.it - mcalzi@provincia.brescia.it
www.provincia.brescia.it/turismo

an they say cars, trucks, 4 wheels drive and bikes are not permitted

Everything I read says 'just get a pass' - can anyone help in who I should be contacting, likely some office much more local.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I contacted

Ufficio Iat Lago d'Iseo e Franciacorta
Lungolago Marconi 2c-d
25049 Iseo (BS)
tel. 030 980209 fax 030 981361
iat.iseo@provincia.brescia.it - mcalzi@provincia.brescia.it
www.provincia.brescia.it/turismo

an they say cars, trucks, 4 wheels drive and bikes are not permitted

Everything I read says 'just get a pass' - can anyone help in who I should be contacting, likely some office much more local.
its the wrong one , and wrong lake too …
This is the right address
Associazione Pro-Loco - Piazza Marconi, 1 25010 Tremosine (Bs) - Lago di Garda - Tel 0365 953185 Fax 0365 918670 - P.I. 02091170981 info@infotremosine.it
Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #28
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
its the wrong one , and wrong lake too …
This is the right address
Associazione Pro-Loco - Piazza Marconi, 1 25010 Tremosine (Bs) - Lago di Garda - Tel 0365 953185 Fax 0365 918670 - P.I. 02091170981 info@infotremosine.it
Thanks Giorgio - that was the address I was given by the local hotel - too funny

I will contact these folks

I also wanted to ask about gravel in the Dolomites as per your offer earlier

Mille grazie. l
Old 05-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #29
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Jackets for Trip

We are wearing this type of adventure jacket for Early September - alps, dolomites, etc.

Looks like this or equivalent is what most guys wear, it is too heavy or appropriate.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #30
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Seems more than OK,
But, I grow riding with in time order : A- Old military anorak , B-Belstaff trial master waxed , with two woolen jumpers beneath when in winter, or a flannel shirt in summer… So I'm not choosy.

Best thing is to have a rainproof one, since downpours could be frequent, particularly in the hottest summer days where mornings are clear and sunny, but then the humid air from the plain arrives and produce in the afternoon thunderstorms .