Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
2014 CADS Colorado Wagon Train

CADS Colorado Wagon Train

July 25/26 to Aug 3/4

Just a small taste from the last trip. Sorry for the date change but due to a number of conflicts the dates were pushed back a month. I know this will upset some folks and we are sorry.

The "Plan" is for us to organize a number of trailers going out to Colorado from the North Florida area to enjoy a week of riding in the mountains. We will target the Wagon Train arriving in the Salida, Co. area on the evening of Friday July 25th.

We plan to ride day rides out and back from Salida on Saturday through next Saturday. We plan to camp at the Heart of the Rockies Campground and Monarch Spur Campground. This means you will not have to plan riding a loaded bike each day. Smaller bikes would be advisable.

Currently we have 21 folks going/meeting up out in Colorado. The current plan is to stay in Salida for the week. Everyone seemed to want to focus on riding rather than moving relocating etc. Of course several groups going out for 2 or 3 days and camping in the remote areas is also a possibility. Some folks are not staying the entire week so basing out of one location will make those logistics easier as well.

We will try our best to organize everyone schedules to make the logistics as streamlined as possible. As an example if 6 folks are arriving into Denver on Friday afternoon, they could coordinate a car rental and have the flexibility to join up and return to the airport sharing the expense of a car rental. There might be a small group that can not arrive until Saturday morning, they could coordinate similar plans etc.

Option A- you put your bike on one of the trailers and fly out to meet your bike and the group.

Option B- you put your bike on the trailer and ride out in one of the vehicles going out to the Colorado Wagon Train.

Costs of bike transportation, we tried to devise a fair way of allocating costs. Basically we are looking at 4,000 mile round trip. A truck pulling a trailer will get around 10 miles to the gallon. So gas expenses are estimated at $1,600 per truck. Rather than have each person chip in for the cost of the particular situation they find their bike in (example on a truck/trailer with 4 bikes would be $400 a bike) Meanwhile a truck trailer with 8 bikes would be $200 a bike. We divided all bikes equally amoung the expected trailers capacities of 26 bikes and the average cost is around $325 per bike. This may actually end up to be a little lower, but for now we are guessing high to avoid surprises.

Accomodations- tent camping will be the least expensive. There should be plenty of space for this option in both Locations. There are also Hotels available in both Cities. I checked in Salida and the Holiday Inn Express was about $100 a night, divided by 10 guys you get the idea...

Flights from Jacksonville, cheapest is Southwest into Denver, if you book now is around $232 round trip.

If you have a trailer and truck and would like to join in and have space for other bikes, then please join in and let us know. We will likely fill up fast, so more space will likely be needed.

IN

Wagon 1 - Kaosrider

Kaosrider bike 1
Kaoswife bike 2
cgollmd bike 3

Wagon 2 - Tim

Tim bike 1
recrazyjax bike 2
rheritage bike 3
Hamkman bike 4
Mr Guns bike 5
Paul bike 6

Wagon 3 - Day13

Day13 bike 1
bradluke0 bike 2
Roadking bike 3
mnewall bike 4

Wagon 4 - Slimy

Bobby Ginger bike 1
Slimy bike 2
Stucchx bike 3

Meeting Out There (on their Own)
SamIam
Cotton
Waybill
Milkyway +1

kaosrider screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 08:17 AM
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
roadking99
semper fi

Oddometer: 70
In

IN!!!!
roadking99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,460
Well that's a month too late for this Manfu but....... only time will tell. I was thinking last week in June again. Wonder how divorced I would be if I took a 2nd trip.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,380
Suggestion for less transport drama

Many of us have trailers, but when was the last time the wheel bearing were inspected ? Adjusted ?
When were they repacked ?
If you are pulling a double axle trailer then the law requires you have brakes on the trailer. Your short trips to the local forrest may not require much concern from you, but have a spring break on the road & you could lock up a wheel. Suggest you have them enspected by an trailer brake expert.

NOTE: when your wheel bearings go bad on the open road, they have really gotten hot & likely too the spindle could be damaged plus the grease seal.

I carry & use a lazer hub gun. HF sells these for 29 USD. At every refueling I check each wheel hub thru the wheel spokes. Mine usually run from 105 F to 115 F. You will see an increase in temp before damage starts.

You may think it strange but low tire pressuer may increase hub temps so keep psi equal & what you trailer tire side wall suggest.

YOU have to check the temps right away & let someone else pump the fuel.

Should you see an increase…check wheel play & usually a bit of adjustment will do it. Keep a small single hand grease gun full of grease during you high speed runs.

If you start out w/ wheel bearing in the best condition & correctly lubed & adjusted then that is one less thing that will stop you from the ''hyway drama''.

Tires are another issue & can & should be inspected before your trip & during your fuel stops. Have a good spare. Have a ''T'' lug wrench handy for snugging up recently replaced wheel or tires. You should have wheel choks & a trailer jack.

Your light should all be working including your tag light. Some little local LEOs are get real picky about equipment failures.

I know this sounds like a lot of BS worry wort crap…..& who knows maybe you'll get lucky w/o the preparation.

You folks are headed into some great riding country but a trailer break down could easily change all of these plans & serious injury may lay waiting for someone. A fish tail trailer at 60-70 mph is more than a little pucker power event.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Tires are another issue & can & should be inspected before your trip & during your fuel stops. Have a good spare. Have a ''T'' lug wrench handy for snugging up recently replaced wheel or tires. You should have wheel choks & a trailer jack.
Waybill knows a thing or three (or was it four? I forget ) about this.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
Waybill knows a thing or three (or was it four? I forget ) about this.
Who do you think he's talking about? Next time you get to ride with Wolfgang.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 940
Meags is probably out for this trip, but I am (fingers crossed) probably in.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
Who do you think he's talking about? Next time you get to ride with Wolfgang.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Hi all ! After the fun we had at Polar Bear , I'm in .
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 AM   #10
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,380
Actually…..

Hey, take it easy on yourselves….not talking about anyone but keeping things rolling on the long road is what I do. Seeing broke down trailers (private) is usually tire or hub area related.

Watching a boat trailer fish tail across two lanes of freeway speed traffic from a rapid deflation…that's a blow out for some of ya'll, was enough to make me give up fishin.

Joking aside, what is being under taken is done everyday.
I know most of you jokers & damn sure don't want to learn of anyone not returning, unless you too fall in love w/ the west & find a roof.

Riding way up in the mts & way out there is not my real concern.
It's going down the long roads (freeways) at high speeds w/ limited equipment.

Just hope some have better trailers than some bikes…….., &
By the way, how is ''hop along'' doing ?

It really is amazing what grease, in the right places can do…….

As far a riding w/ me, any of you guys are welcome…..just get there before Carson.

Ok, enough JAXing of dis thang
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
HenryFL
Old: Molly

Oddometer: 98
in

in in in in in in in in!!!
HenryFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Getting Organized

Some more tease shots

The Wagons....look like this...

Colorado looks like this

Water crossings

Start getting your time off now....

kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #13
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,460
I dig these CO pix......

Wheeler Trail - 9 miles south of Breckenridge. http://www.staythetrail.org/maps/vie...ail_id=59&sv=0

Here is a quality CO trail info site.
http://www.staythetrail.org/maps/
Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
cgollmd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
In

Not sure about dates yet but this looks like an amazing trip. I'd be a fly out to meet you participant.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #15
saddlesore904
Saddlesore904

Oddometer: 11
Finally Looked at This

Looks like fun and something I might try to join in progress. The BMWMOA rally is July 24-26 in MN. I've got a brother and childhood best friend who live in Dillon/Silverthorn area. BTW, Rawhyde has a new GS training facility in Salida these days. Been out there skiing since 1969, but have never done much in the Summer out there. So, I might ride down to CO from Minneapolis if I can get my XR250 in the wagan trail. She's very light and won't talk back to the driver. It's never been on any hills ?? According to Streets & Trips it's only 567 miles, an easy day trip. Will think about seriously and try to commit soon. I'll have camping gear with me. Larry M.