User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #31
shrederscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Lol

I am in Florida right now( vero beach). That is why I was checking out the sandbox area.

I went to jacksonville univerity. Still have friends there. Any of of you ever been out to victory lake on the west side ? Had great times skiing on that lake.

shrederscott screwed with this post 03-28-2014 at 09:36 AM
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #32
Motomilky
Not So Fast

Oddometer: 35
IN for Colorado (with likely Utah extension)

I'm IN for the Colorado ride for sure.

Likely will go out early or stay late so that I can ride the UTAH section of the TAT. I will either do an out (west) and back from Moab with no SAG (if another prepped rider or 2 joins me), or I would just do a one way to Baker, Nevada (if I can get my beloved Wife to run SAG again). If any CADS guys are interested in adding in the Utah TAT, call me to discuss (so as to not clutter up this Colorado ride link with Utah talk).
Motomilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #33
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrederscott View Post
Hey grettings from colorado

I have a few suggestions/ideas for ur trip.

check out the rainbow trail. My understanding is It is the only ohv trail to cover an entire mtn range the san de cristo range (blood of christ range). The trail starts - end basically in salida. The trail is like 150 miles long each way. Gas availabe in westcliff sorta halfway. Lots of stream crossing on this trail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by recrazyjax View Post
Scott, awesome! Thank you and i think local help is awesome!
Yeah, just head on over the Rainbow Trail, it's a piece of cake guys!

and about 5 miles up hill of this..

Words of wisdom from a guy that's ridden it.

HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,480
Yeah, I could do it on a WRR.....with a rather large rear sprocket. But the fun factor wouldn't be anywhere near what we experienced on the Bergs.

Its an issue of how hard do you want to work at it, considering the long exposure to high elevation (above 10,000 ft). Depending upon your physical conditioning, the WRR scenario could pose a problem.

Riding on the Rainbow Trail is not the same thing as riding the Rainbow trail.....as in the whole thing end to end.

Lots of people claim to have ridden the Rainbow. But in reality, they have only rode portions of it. Those parts usually being the easiest accessed, best groomed, and not so difficult sections. A WRR would be just fine for many portions of the trail like that.

However, it wouldn't be very desirable on one of the long, narrow, steep, overgrown climbs littered with baby heads, bowling balls, and wet tree roots. The WRR is too heavy without enough low-end torque to make a 3 mile climb at 10,000 ft very enjoyable in that stuff.

The trail is really ideal for a plated dirtbike. But you better have good riding skills and great slow speed balance, with no fear of heights. You can't afford to panic in a tight situation with severe vertical relief. I've been up there with good riders who discovered they couldn't handle it. Just didn't have the nerves for it. That develops into a dangerous situation fast, because its difficult to turn around safely on the slope in a 10" wide shelf trail to backtrack.

If the idea of that thrills you, Go For IT. You won't be disappointed! Just don't go off the trail. At the least, you're bike won't be coming home with you.

HF

Just want you all to be thinking about the reality of riding in Colorado, it's not like here at all.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #34
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,057

All you need is a trials bike. Oh, & some skillz.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #35
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post

All you need is a trials bike. Oh, & some skillz.
Closer than me, you're half way there.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #36
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
Closer than me, you're half way there.
Tain't that hard.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #37
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 528
You guys are going to have a GREAT Time.!!!!!

Went to CO last August and had a blast!

Wish I could go with you all.

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #38
recrazyjax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Gettin' Ready

Ok Peeps....

1) ordered 2 x 1 Gallon Rotopax gas tanks for extra fuel and associated hardware...check...
2) about to book plane tickets...

Dates are set right?? Don't want to have any plane ticket issues :))

T
Todd
recrazyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #39
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by recrazyjax View Post
Ok Peeps....

1) ordered 2 x 1 Gallon Rotopax gas tanks for extra fuel and associated hardware...check...
2) about to book plane tickets...

Dates are set right?? Don't want to have any plane ticket issues :))

T
Todd
Just something to check before you buy tickets, Colorado Springs is about half the distance to Salida as Denver Intl and in many cases is only slightly more to fly into, could be worth a look.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #40
recrazyjax
Adventurer

Hey Bill. Thanks. I plan to check both once I know dates are good and let others know the plans so we can share a rental if there is interest. T

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #41
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,454
Set some dates for my CO14 Dirtbike and Brew Tour. June 21st is go time. 15 hrs to St. Louis and I'll be in Buena Vista by dinner Sunday night after another 15 hrs behind the wheel. I booked a site on the river at the end of Four Mile (Ruby Mt on the AK river) for 2 nights and on 24th I'll go over Cottonwood Pass and spend 3 days exploring Taylor Park.

A view from above the camp in BV, you can see the road leading up to the pass and on the other side of the range is TP. The camp site is right at the entrance to Four Mile so you can ride from camp directly onto the trail.

I'll explore Taylor Park for 3 days and camp near Dinner Station - free primative camping that's right near some killer trails - Block and Tackle, American Flag, Lilly Pond. I ran Timberline last summer but it's close as well. Lots of single track and vistas - oh yea!

Then it's over to Woodland Park through Leadville and stop at Breckenridge Brewery on my way to the staging spot for a big ride on Saturday.
Brecktreck from Woodland Park to Breckenridge is looking like the 28th. Had a blast last year. Departed at 7 am and got back to camp at 10 after 240 dirt miles. The King of All Manfu is on the left with his Freedom Machine. 16 of us finished .

I want to check our Rampart 29/30 - home of the trial pictured a few posts up. It's between Woodland Park and Denver. May meet some guys I rode with on TN3 Day -a Wanker ride at Carter Mt TN a few summers back. Mrs Manfu flys in on the 30th and we'll spend July 4th in Ouray and she fly out of Durango on the 5th. Ouray will be a great town for fireworks - true Americana. Mama don't camp so those few night in a hotel will be niiiiiiiiiice! We'll stay in Colorado Springs for 2 nighs then down to Ouray.

The below pix is were I stayed last year but they wanted a 4 nigh min - understandable with the popularity of the town and limited number of rooms, so we got a room in an old western hotel with a balcony facing the fireworks. And across from Ouray Brewery. http://www.historicwesternhotel.com/

Hermosa Trail System on the 5th and am meeting a local on the 6th to show me the best Montrose single track as a pre run for a rally at the end of the month. I'll stay a few more days before heading back.

Colemanfu screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 03:37 PM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #42
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Set some dates for my CO14 Dirtbike and Brew Tour. June 22nd is go time. 15 hrs to St. Louis and I be in Buena Vista by dinner Sunday night after another 15 hrs behind the wheel. I booked a site on the river at the end of Four Mile (Ruby Mt on the AK river) for 2 nights and on 24th I'll go over Cottonwood Pass and spend 3 days exploring Taylor Park. Brecktreck for Woodland Park to Breckenridge is looking like the 28th. I want to check our Rampart 29/30 - home of the trial pictured a few posts up. Mrs Manfu flys in on the 30th and we'll spend July 4th in Ouray and she fly out of Durango on the 5th. Hermosa Trail System on the 5th and am meeting a local on the 6th to show me the best Montrose single track. I'll stay a few more days before heading back.
Don't for get the camera we will be looking forward to your reports
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #43
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,454
Will do - I'm a proper photog geek.
I feel a bit more focused this time around. Focused in terms of places I want to check out. Last summer was a real eye opener. Questions were answered for sure.
I think I wasted a few mornings wandering around wich was not all that bad but........ I don't want to spend an hour each morning studying maps. I'm not super ridged about the schedule and enjoy the tips from locals about stuff to check out, just want to maxamize the time out there. I also want to prevent searching for sites to camp after dark. Lessons learned only through experience .
Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #44
recrazyjax
Adventurer

Plane Booked~

Whoo hoo...Time off taken care of and just bought plane tickets! :) Gettin' excited to go back to Colorado and this time on 2 wheels.

T
Todd

recrazyjax screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 07:50 PM
Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #45
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 938
My flight is booked, ready for this one! I can wait though, with Perry Mt, and a few other trips coming up, it is going to be an awesome spring!