Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #451
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,228
I'm leaving this friday to stay with a friend in Salida. Could use some good dirt riders. 54 there this morning. Bow Elk season starts 30th also Deer I believe.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #452
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I'm leaving this friday to stay with a friend in Salida. Could use some good dirt riders. 54 there this morning. Bow Elk season starts 30th also Deer I believe.
You suck David, wish I could join you, have a great trip!!!

How are the ribs????

Rich

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #453
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 693

The place is big!

That second mound is where we ate.

Must be a popular lunch spot, ran into a few locals doing the same thing.

This is as far as you can go, private property beyond the tire. And fwiw, these guys were friendlier than they looked : )

There was another side road over a hill to the right, so we checked it out too.

Nice backdrop for the 690, how about it KTM ? wouldn't that make a poster. I can hear ol' Frank singin in the background, "Fly me to the Moon..."

Headin back, got a long ways to go.

Dave says 'hey you guys quit it there's plenty enough room up here'

That's it..

S'alright?

S'alright.

Remember we'd had a minor discrepancy on time and place this morning and I asked these guys to do a little audition for "Hee-Haw". I just wanted to make note of the fact that there is no one you'd rather have watching your back than these two, they are without a doubt, bar none, as solid as they come.

Let's get back down to Earth guys, I know I could use some oxygen!

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350

waybill screwed with this post 08-27-2014 at 11:58 PM
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:40 AM   #454
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheritage View Post
You suck David, wish I could join you, have a great trip!!!

How are the ribs????

Rich
LOL! Ribs are fine for everyday work/play, still cannot sneeze, even while holding them under my right armpit, ends up being a grunt/scream.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #455
roadking99
semper fi

Oddometer: 70
Best group

Bill it's not very often that you get a group of guys together and everyone gets along. The dynamic of our group was great. That made great rides even better. I hope we haven't set the bar too hi!? Thanks for the great ride reports.
roadking99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #456
jdeberry
steelmillquality

Oddometer: 28
Great group fosho!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking99 View Post
Bill it's not very often that you get a group of guys together and everyone gets along. The dynamic of our group was great. That made great rides even better. I hope we haven't set the bar too hi!? Thanks for the great ride reports.

Bill, again great pics. You put together some awesome rides...Thanks bro!!

I almost made the mistake today telling my wife that the Colorado trip was the best vacation i ever had.....that was close, Roadking99 gave me the best advice, He said, tell her it was the best vacation you ever had with your cloths on.....That's what friends are for.

Jimmy D.

#1 goal, stay out of the trees!!
jdeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #457
waybill
cheap thrill

Hey you guys were all great, would be tough to find better riding companions and not just this day, but every day we rode somewhere.

Picking the high point of the week won't be easy either but this day we're on now has to rank up there and it's one of the reasons I'm putting up so many pics. I want to be able to remember how much fun and what a great time it all was!

Old 08-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #458
stucchx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Cool pics Bill. You'll have to give me some good hints on where those roads are. That must have been the day Todd and I went single tracking. We planned on riding four loops that day and never made it through the first one. Mountain-1 .... Boys on bikes-0. Had a great time though. Saw some posts about Hatfield Mccoy ride and talked with Brad and Mark. Got things settled and meeting Brad and his two buddies up there from September 5 to 11. Mark and myself have a small cabin that sleeps 5. If anyone else is interested there is still some room left. I know kind of late notice just been running around a lot. 352-650-6070 fastest way to reach me.

On a separate topic, I am trying to put together a family ride for next year. Early season to Moab then travel back to Monarch spur area. Early June to Moab then 3rd week in Colorado. Beat the Moab crowd. I know it is right on the riding edge time for bikes but really want to get to ride on some, or at least near snowdrifts. My kids are exited about that also. Just some info for thought to you guys.

Sorry I haven't posted any pictures. I do not know how to resize for the site. I tried a couple of times but all thumbs in that arena. I downloaded all my stuff to a flashdrive for Slimy. Get in touch with him if you would like to see my pics and video.

Ok back to work. See ya
stucchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #459
jdeberry
steelmillquality

Oddometer: 28
upload pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucchx View Post
Cool pics Bill. You'll have to give me some good hints on where those roads are. That must have been the day Todd and I went single tracking. We planned on riding four loops that day and never made it through the first one. Mountain-1 .... Boys on bikes-0. Had a great time though. Saw some posts about Hatfield Mccoy ride and talked with Brad and Mark. Got things settled and meeting Brad and his two buddies up there from September 5 to 11. Mark and myself have a small cabin that sleeps 5. If anyone else is interested there is still some room left. I know kind of late notice just been running around a lot. 352-650-6070 fastest way to reach me.

On a separate topic, I am trying to put together a family ride for next year. Early season to Moab then travel back to Monarch spur area. Early June to Moab then 3rd week in Colorado. Beat the Moab crowd. I know it is right on the riding edge time for bikes but really want to get to ride on some, or at least near snowdrifts. My kids are exited about that also. Just some info for thought to you guys.

Sorry I haven't posted any pictures. I do not know how to resize for the site. I tried a couple of times but all thumbs in that arena. I downloaded all my stuff to a flashdrive for Slimy. Get in touch with him if you would like to see my pics and video.

Ok back to work. See ya
Hey Mike, download SMUGMUG and you can use that site to re-size pics and upload to advrider. Unless someone else knows a better way.

Jimmy

#1 goal, stay out of the trees!!
jdeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #460
waybill
cheap thrill

part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucchx View Post
You'll have to give me some good hints on where those roads are. That must have been the day Todd and I went single tracking. We planned on riding four loops that day and never made it through the first one.

On a separate topic, I am trying to put together a family ride for next year. Early season to Moab then travel back to Monarch spur area. Early June to Moab then 3rd week in Colorado. Beat the Moab crowd.
Will do Mike.

Dave and I went to Moab thinking the same thing, the place was jammed in mid-May. Seems Spring is their big season as it's too hot in Summer, it's just 4000' elevation. In mid June you might be ok though but I'd make reservations cause it is a touristy little place.

------------------------

Like the man sez, It's all downhill from here.

This section was like a downhill ski run, a lot of zig-zag, small whoops, some fun stuff! All of a sudden I hear somebody yell, "Bill look out, get out of the way!" I glance in the left mirror and all I see is Jimmy's glove, I veer right into the woods and he veered left, man that was close, really close! The amazing thing about Jimmy is he never crashes, "that's just how he rides"

And then we ran into "the kid"

At the perfect time too, cause I was just about to take the wrong fork which would've made our slab 40 miles back instead of 20. "The kid" (Josh ?) was out celebrating his 21st birthday on a recently acquired 400exc. I don't think he'd ever seen a 690 or 500xc-w before and was gettin all the the low-down from Alex and Dave.

I said, "Josh you lead", Dave gave chase and it was on, we didn't see 'em again til the cattle gates. This section was like an old style motocross course, berms, whoops, ruts, mud, etc, about 15 miles downhill. Dave "said" he could just keep him in sight but I think the kid was just playin him like a fiddle. Regardless, it was memorable stuff for us, and I'm bettin birthday boy too.

Then we parted ways, he went left toward Bonanza where he was vacationing with his parents from California, and we hit the slab back north.

Man, what a day, it just doesn't get much better!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #461
BadassBlaze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
Dave says 'hey you guys quit it there's plenty enough room up here'

Bill, where were these shots from?
BadassBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #462
stucchx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks Bill and jimmy, I will use your advice. I don't want to get out there too early or too late. I have to consider the girls collage schedule. The late notice for Hatfield is because I found out nobody got into the LBL. I was able to retract my entry from Jesse. Very nice guy. I wanna ride with my NEW FRIENDS. Yeah buddy.
stucchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #463
waybill
cheap thrill

Blaze, it's called Antora Meadows. not all that easy to get to. From where you are you'd need to get to Bonanza or Saguache and head up from there. Several ways to do that the easiest is probably from Villa Grove and up thru Spook City but you'll still need 4wd to make the climb, worth it though.

Are you still at the store and how late in the year do they stay open?

Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #464
BadassBlaze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
Blaze, it's called Antora Meadows. not all that easy to get to. From where you are you'd need to get to Bonanza or Saguache and head up from there. Several ways to do that the easiest is probably from Villa Grove and up thru Spook City but you'll still need 4wd to make the climb, worth it though.

Are you still at the store and how late in the year do they stay open?
Awesome, I'll hopefully make it up there this year then.

Still at the store... I'm planning on living here year round so I can snowmobile and snowboard almost every day. The store will be open well into November, but we will have gas and lodging year round.
BadassBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #465
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassBlaze View Post
Still at the store... I'm planning on living here year round so I can snowmobile and snowboard almost every day. The store will be open well into November, but we will have gas and lodging year round.
That's good news I may make it back before the snow flies, I'll stop in.

And after looking, from where you are I think it'd be a good bit quicker to take 114 around, for whatever it's worth.