Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #61
cottons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Probably IN

Rich,
I am planning to tag along for this Ride. However my plan is a little different. Will drive up with my wife pulling my single bike trailer and WRR. Wife and I will leave early and do the tourist thing on the way up. On July 25, wife will catch a plane back to Jax (she does not camp) I will meet you all at the campground. Will have all my camping gear so you will not have to haul anything for me. Have smaller auto now so no room to haul stuff for others. Will be flexible on my return to Jax as retirement gives me plenty of time. Did not ride much last year but rode the DDS everglades adventure in March and had a great time. Thought it was easy. The trails/roads up there look a lot like Mexico or the Big Bend of Texas. All the roads I feel comfortable on. More fun than deep sand.
Cotton
cottons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #62
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottons View Post
Rich,
I am planning to tag along for this Ride. However my plan is a little different. Will drive up with my wife pulling my single bike trailer and WRR. Wife and I will leave early and do the tourist thing on the way up. On July 25, wife will catch a plane back to Jax (she does not camp) I will meet you all at the campground. Will have all my camping gear so you will not have to haul anything for me. Have smaller auto now so no room to haul stuff for others. Will be flexible on my return to Jax as retirement gives me plenty of time. Did not ride much last year but rode the DDS everglades adventure in March and had a great time. Thought it was easy. The trails/roads up there look a lot like Mexico or the Big Bend of Texas. All the roads I feel comfortable on. More fun than deep sand.
Cotton
Welcome to the party We were wondering where you have been
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #63
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,129
Any thoughts of heading towards Moab/Green River area instead of Meeker on Wednesday?

This looks like fun...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962942

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #64
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,454
2014 CADS Colorado Wagon Train

Got my sticker in the mail today! Fast turnaround, ordered it online Thursday.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #65
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Permit

Hey, thanks for the reminder FU. We need to order ours.

DrZ - next train to MOAB?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #66
mr_guns
Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider View Post
Hey, thanks for the reminder FU. We need to order ours.

DrZ - next train to MOAB?
Rich can you fill us in on how to get this on Wednesday? I remember someone bringing it up but no idea where to get it.
08 Piaggio MP3
mr_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #67
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 676
CO OHV permit

This looks to give some instruction. The section for out of state OHV's in particular.

http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Page...ationsOHV.aspx

I guess we just got lucky last time! Ignorance of the law is no excuse! It usually works on everything else!
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #68
mr_guns
Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer: 750
Thanks. ORDERED
08 Piaggio MP3
mr_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #69
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,454
Sorry should have added the link.

https://parksstore.state.co.us/p-6-ohv-permit.aspx
Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #70
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Sorry should have added the link.

https://parksstore.state.co.us/p-6-ohv-permit.aspx

Thanks Fu, that was easy.

Now for the update. We have 20 folks "signed" up so far either going on the train, flying out to meet their bike, or getting out there on their own and meeting up with us.

I have updated the front page to reflect the current plan. That plan is to stay in Salida and use it as a home base for the week. We have some folks going for just 4 days, some for 5 days and everything in between. So to make logistics easier the plan is to stay put. I will add the fact the no one was really interested in spending any more time traveling than absolutely necessary, "let's just ride" was the central message.
This does not preclude folks from venturing out for several days on their own to explore the outer reaches etc.
So things are forming up nicely.

Cheers
Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #71
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Anyone bringing their fishing gear? Thinking of bringing my fly rod and take one or two days to explore the Arkansas River, the bike will make a great expedition vehicle.

Rich

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #72
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 704
Now that the wagon train is back on track toward it's original and intended destination we'll be putting up some random info about the area and trying to answer any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheritage View Post
Anyone bringing their fishing gear? Thinking of bringing my fly rod and take one or two days to explore the Arkansas River, the bike will make a great expedition vehicle.

Rich
Rich, I don't fly fish (wouldn't mind a few pointers tho) but regularly see fishermen up and down the Arkansas so it must be good. Here's a tributary (one of many) that runs right thru the campground I usually stay at (Monarch Spur), looks like it would have fish to me.

Don't remember if I mentioned it yet but this campground has nice tent spots alongside the creek not too far from the restrooms and showers. Also there are several cabins up on the hill plus a largish suite next to the office for the luxury-minded : ) Plus I should have at least one (or two) smallish RV's there and can probably sleep an extra 2 or 3 people.

The main reason is it's proximity to some great riding (River Suites is just down the road too where Kaos got rooms). Some nice trails to get warmed up on literally out the back door and across the street.

A little further up the hill

These are some of the close by passes we'll want to ride, something for everyone, easy, mediocre, and challenging.

OHV stickers available onsite too, although with a plate I've never had one or been questioned so not sure of the necessity.

Great place to eat and refuel just over the hill.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #73
roadking99
semper fi

Oddometer: 70
Fly Fishing

I am planning on bringing a fly rod or two. The Arkansas is a pretty decent river. Bill, I can give a few pointers. I know a thing or two about fly fishing.
roadking99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #74
waybill
cheap thrill

I like it Scott, should be plenty enough to go around. One for you..

and one for me.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #75
waybill
cheap thrill

Here's an idea if anyone wants to do a 2 or 3 day mini expedition over to the San Juans, Colorado's other famous D/S area. There is a fairly direct route (major shortcut) on an old stagecoach route (pretty sure it's part of the TAT too) from Monarch RV Park to Lake City over Los Pinos Pass.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...53675,1.820984

It's a little over 100 miles to Lake City so should take about 3.5 to 4 hours, leaving the afternoon to ride over Engineer or Cinnamon Passes to Ouray or Silverton. Then there are four ways to get to or from Telluride; Ophir, Black Bear (one way west), and Imogene Passes, and Last Dollar Rd. Then return a different way.

Engineer Pass

California Gulch