Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #76
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Thanks for the info on the campground Bill, that place looks really nice. I'm flying in and not sure where I'm camping yet, I guess wherever my gear shows up on the trailer, LOL.

Another question for you veterans:

My WR450 has a stock tank, with a usable 2.5 gallons, I would estimate range to be 70 to 80 miles, will I need to pack additional fuel for day trips or will there be fuel stops available???

Rich

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #77
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheritage View Post
Thanks for the info on the campground Bill, that place looks really nice. I'm flying in and not sure where I'm camping yet, I guess wherever my gear shows up on the trailer, LOL.

Another question for you veterans:

My WR450 has a stock tank, with a usable 2.5 gallons, I would estimate range to be 70 to 80 miles, will I need to pack additional fuel for day trips or will there be fuel stops available???

Rich
This is a good question, so I will try and give as good an answer as I can. Colorado is BIG. Meaning we will cover vast areas of the mountains. Whether you have a 300 mile range or an 80 mile range your trips will be dictated by fuel management. An 80 mile range means your are limited to a 40 mile trip from whatever gas station you can identify. Sometime they may line up in the direction you want to go and sometimes they do not. This "limitation" can be frustrating . So to give you a little further insight. I have a 2.2 gallon tank on my 350. I am guessing around a 100 mile range. I also have a 5 gallon tank. Should I install that tank? It would give me a lot of range. However if everyone I am riding with can only go 100 miles, does it really help?

This is the situation we will find ourselves in. It may also evolve into guys with long range ride together and guy with short range ride together. As a minimum, you may want to figure out a way to carry an extra gallon.

Cheers
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #78
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Rich,

Thanks for the reply, I figured my tank would limit me, so I think the best thing to do is plan on hauling at least an extra gallon in a rotopax.

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #79
cottons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
campsite

Bill,
Campground looks nice- went to their website. Are you or Rich reserving their "group camping" area. Or should we make our own reservations for a campsite ? Their sites with elec were not that expensive.
Cotton
cottons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #80
cottons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
OHV Permit- Not Needed

CADS
Here is a link to the information pamphlet on OHV Requirements.
It is for Bikes and ATVs that do NOT have a TAG.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Tra...amBrochure.pdf

Cotton
cottons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #81
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottons View Post
Bill,
Campground looks nice- went to their website. Are you or Rich reserving their "group camping" area. Or should we make our own reservations for a campsite ? Their sites with elec were not that expensive.
Cotton
It is pretty decent. Hadn't planned on reserving a group site, just everyone get what they needed on their own, although Dave and I were just talking about the possibility of a riverside tent sight for evening campfire and BS sessions, it's a scenic spot.

Quote:
CADS

Cotton
That was my assumption also but Dave just got off the phone with THE MAN in Denver (actually it was a woman) who indicated everybody needs one, tag or no tag! I'll probably grab one there, dang, last six years and never even knew it!

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #82
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 676
I actually called one of the numbers on the page Cotton linked to. It was the one in Littleton. She was very emphatic that residents and non residents alike were required to have the permit regardless of whether or not your bike is tagged.
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #83
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Just reserved a tent site at Monarch Spur down by the river, thanks for the heads up on this place Bill. Looking at the other campground down the road, I prefer trees instead of an open field for tent camping, the stream will make it that much nicer.

Bill, no need to reserve and extra tent site for gatherings at the river, just use mine.

Now it's time to go over the bike and see what needs to be added for this adventure. I will be ordering the larger rotopax 1.75 gallon tank instead of the 1 gallon, if I have to haul fuel it better be enough, LOL.

Really getting excited about this trip, I need to make it down to one of your Wednesday night meetings again. Meet up with the crew who's driving out with the bikes, need to know when to bring bike and gear down, etc...

Rich

Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #84
shrederscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
CADS

Cotton
Hey all

colorado changed ohv rules 3 years, ago now everybody needs an ohv sticket. That includes plated bikes and plated jeeps

last 2 season were educational no tickets. The word is this season there will be tickets.

that said living and riding in colorado the last 10 years, I have only been inspected for an ohv sticker 1 time.

if anybody goes to utah you do not stickers on platted bikes there, but non platted do and they have active enforcement especially in the moab area.

hope that helps.

oh on the gas issue small tanks should be ok, even in the tyler park area there is fuel available for a price
shrederscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #85
cgollmd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thumb Rideshare to from Denver Airport

I just booked my flights. I arrive in Denver at 8:10 PM on Friday 7/25 and fly out of Denver at 6:15 PM on Tuesday 7/29. Anyone with similar travel is welcome to share a ride with me.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #86
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,455
Oh the power of the interweb..........

I've been gathering info about trails to check out in Taylor Park (my 2nd stop on Fu's Colorado Dirt Bike and Brew Tour 14) - never been and from what I've been told it's some of the very best back courtry exploring that Colorado has to offer. Single track, ATV trails, fire roads and passes leading to Aspen and Crested Butte. Most the trails that have been recomended come with a GoPro vid via a Google search. Fun to see what I'm in for.

So for todays viewing pleasure - Block and Tackle Trail in Taylor Park. Single track stoke at it's highest level .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50rEM7eBnik&safe=active
Old 05-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #87
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

That trail looks like a blast, it took a lot of time and effort to lay those blocks to keep the trail base solid, nice work.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #88
shrederscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Laugh maps

Hey

been following ur guys trip prep from here in colorado.

I used to live j ville I went to Jacksonville univerity.

Just want to suggest u look at purchasing the following 3 maps

all latitdue 40 maps available from REI.

1 crested butte taylor park

2 telluride silverton ouray

3 aspen snowmass

I like these maps better than nat geo maps. And they should give very good coverage of most of the area ur going to ride.

the colorado gazetteer by delorme is great full state topo map book but the scale is a little course.

Lots of snow here still very little is open yet.

gonna be a big white water year, u guys should think about rafting the ark one day. Take the royal gouge trip for max adventure, or browns canyon trip for lots of fun more remote feel, but smaller rapids.

a-basin is still open for skiing likly to be through june given the current snowpack.
shrederscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #89
mr_guns
Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer: 751
Now that was quick.
08 Piaggio MP3
mr_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #90
recrazyjax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Fuel

Hey Guys,

I bought 2 x 1 gallon roto's for my KTM690 because I don't want to be terribly limited by fuel. That should give me 5 good gallons of fuel. See you guys wed at the meeting. I've been in NC, KY, TN & VA for the last 8 days riding so have missed the last 2. I'm getting excited about the CO trip!!! That single track video looks awesome...gotta sharpen my skills! :)

T
Todd
recrazyjax is offline   Reply With Quote