ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How many days long should the ride be?
4 Days (BC Day long weekend plus a day) 10 83.33%
6 Days (BC Day long weekend plus 3 days) 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Oddometer: 116
2014 Western Canada Summer Ride & Camp (KTM 950/990/1190)

A thread for planning the event first brought up over in Orange Crush. Let's talk dates and routes and get this thing happening!
I'll put a few ideas out there to get the discussion started:

Duration: 4 days? Means 3 nights camping and, if we keep it central, most of 3 days of riding, with enough time for getting to and from home for everyone.

Dates: Aug 1-4? The 4th is a stat. holiday in BC, so for us here in this province, only one day off would be required. It's late enough in the year that higher terrain will be snow free.

Where: I like the idea of an West-East traverse across the lower portion of the province. That would mean chances to explore the Southern Okanagan, Kootenays and maybe the Purcell/Crowsnest regions, all very cool areas with very different scenery and fun riding.
On dirt, of course. I also like the idea of having easy / hard routes for the whole ride. Thoughts?
kelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 930
Tcat

I am on the wrong coast or Onterrable as some call it from the west. But check out www.gravel travel.ca for the TCAT that was made but some of the riders on this forum. It is free to download the maps etc..it is designed to be doable with big bikes and some tech sections. It stretches from east coast to the west coast 18000km of road and trails. Here are a few pages to read up on it http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594395.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
I am in for this and August is fine, should be great weather.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
BCBelstaff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
This sounds like it would be a blast! Maybe we could incorporate some KVR in to the mix if we wanted to stay on the lower part of the province?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
This is a great weekend to be off highway too , lots of red plates (as if there needed a reason to keep it off-road )

Subscribed
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelds View Post
A thread for planning the event first brought up over in Orange Crush. Let's talk dates and routes and get this thing happening!
I'll put a few ideas out there to get the discussion started:

Duration: 4 days? Means 3 nights camping and, if we keep it central, most of 3 days of riding, with enough time for getting to and from home for everyone.

Dates: Aug 1-4? The 4th is a stat. holiday in BC, so for us here in this province, only one day off would be required. It's late enough in the year that higher terrain will be snow free.

Where: I like the idea of an West-East traverse across the lower portion of the province. That would mean chances to explore the Southern Okanagan, Kootenays and maybe the Purcell/Crowsnest regions, all very cool areas with very different scenery and fun riding.
On dirt, of course. I also like the idea of having easy / hard routes for the whole ride. Thoughts?
4 days is too short, your better off doing a big off road loop through the Chilcotin, maybe out to Chilco lake...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Just might be able to make it.

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

This little snippet off Hwy 3 from last July is an example of some of the kinds of riding that I enjoy.

I'd like to string together a route out of a bunch of pieces of riding sort of like this; abanodoned, rough FSR combined with steepish/loose quad trails, great views, alpine passes, few people and the occasional burnt out mining exploration camp, lol. Singletrack is good. Nice camping spots along the way are a plus.

Hopefully lots of us across the province have an interesting section that can be incorporated. I don't mind trying to weave together a route from the bits if people start putting them forward.

I'm going to focus on figuring out a fun "blue" route. Please don't bother with posting easy route stuff for now - I'll work toward figuring out the general riding plan for the blue and post a draft with in the next month or so, providing enough suggestions come in. Then hopefully somebody will step forward to tackle a parallel "green" route.

Here's a few pics.

photo ClaimstakeMtn_zps1ca9a5bb.jpg

photo 2013-07-01184744_zpsa20a5000.jpg

photo 2013-07-01184050_zpsc2fb7c09.jpg

photo 2013-07-01184217_zps8051da9a.jpg

photo 2013-07-01190541_zps817b5966.jpg

photo 2013-07-01184750_zpsf40dc836.jpg
Old 02-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #9
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
4 days is too short, your better off doing a big off road loop through the Chilcotin, maybe out to Chilco lake...
Agreed, but people have busy lives. I'm flexible to a point, but others may not be as much.
I'll go with the consensus on this question, though I think 4 days total (3 days planned, 1 day for travel to/from the starting point) is really the minimum to get a decent amount of riding in......maybe I'll even try to figure out how to do the poll thing.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
FROG950SE
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Big Loop and overnight or evening ride .

Good day Locals .

I live in North Vancouver and do allot of evening ride Squamish / Cat Lake ect
Or do the Big Loop Pembeton,Mud Lake .china Head ,Lillouet ect and Back .
There is a 12 of us on 9xx but always challenging to go for overnight .
I usually ride solo but always better to ride with a buddy .We should make a list of rider with there information ? or maybe have beer / coffee one of those days ? Will be busy for the long weekend but love to ride and explore .Claude
FROG950SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
This sounds great ! I like Claude's idea of a get together to chat about routes, etc…
And perhaps a (shorter) pre-ride (China head) to get a feel for the groups abilities, preferences, etc… This can be done in a day, or via an overnighter.
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #12
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
2014 Western Canada Summer Ride & Camp (KTM 950/990/1190)

This is gathering steam , I'm happy about that as I'd rather be riding than up at 11:30 downloading and looking at gpx files on ADV rider.

I would sooner be making them than looking at them.
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #13
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 541
If someone was to paint a little patch of orange on their ride ...or already have some orange.......would you consider allowing them to tag along and watch?

OceanMtnSea screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 04:56 AM
OceanMtnSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
If someone was to paint a little patch of orange on their ride ...or already have some orange.......would you consider allowing them to tag along and watch?

I don't see why not. The only reason this is called a KTM ride is because it started over in Orange Crush with some 950/990 owners.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROG950SE View Post
Good day Locals .

I live in North Vancouver and do allot of evening ride Squamish / Cat Lake ect
Or do the Big Loop Pembeton,Mud Lake .china Head ,Lillouet ect and Back .
There is a 12 of us on 9xx but always challenging to go for overnight .
I usually ride solo but always better to ride with a buddy .We should make a list of rider with there information ? or maybe have beer / coffee one of those days ? Will be busy for the long weekend but love to ride and explore .Claude
I'm usually up for an evening ride. A get-together to ponder routes would also be good. Maybe I'll suggest a date /place.