ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
bduke OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Prattville,AL
Oddometer: 49
Perry Mountain Fire Tower 150 Dual Sport ride

Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club will be putting on a Dual Sport ride on April 12-13, 2014. This will be a no fee ride with free camping at Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club (Reynolds Pasture). Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club will accept a donation if anyone wants to donate. PMMC helps support local charities. The Saturday ride will be approximately 150 miles of logging roads, fire breaks and National Forest Service roads and the Sunday ride will be approximately 75 miles. The riders will be broken in to three separate groups by riding skills level, a fast burn group, an intermediate group and a slower group. Each group will have a guide and a sweep rider. The Dual Sport ride will be challenging but not difficult. There will be very little pavement but yes there will be some asphalt. Since we will be riding on public roadway the motorcycle should be street legal.

If you will let me know who is coming and what you are riding we will have a better idea what to plan for.

Thanks and I hope to see everyone April 12 and 13th.
bduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Hatch
PAR OG
 
Hatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Montrose, Co
Oddometer: 2,904
In

If I can get off work...

would a titled/tagged 200exc be too dirt oriented?

I have been riding sera enduros a few years now, B class rider..

very cool yall are putting on a DS ride!
__________________
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
bduke OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Prattville,AL
Oddometer: 49
Hatch, a tag 200 EXC will be fine, the way it looks now, there will be very little pavement, mostly National Forest dirt roads and fire breaks. We will make gas available around 40-50 miles if needed
bduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
motomike14
Thumper Crusader
 
motomike14's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,620
In. I'll roll in early Saturday AM. Probably be in the fast burn group on my WR.
__________________
"The bold adventurer succeeds the best. - Ovid

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder
 
Bobby Ginger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: N.E. FL
Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by bduke View Post
Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club will be putting on a Dual Sport ride on April 12-13, 2014. This will be a no fee ride with free camping at Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club (Reynolds Pasture). Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club will accept a donation if anyone wants to donate. PMMC helps support local charities. The Saturday ride will be approximately 150 miles of logging roads, fire breaks and National Forest Service roads and the Sunday ride will be approximately 75 miles. The riders will be broken in to three separate groups by riding skills level, a fast burn group, an intermediate group and a slower group. Each group will have a guide and a sweep rider. The Dual Sport ride will be challenging but not difficult. There will be very little pavement but yes there will be some asphalt. Since we will be riding on public roadway the motorcycle should be street legal.

If you will let me know who is coming and what you are riding we will have a better idea what to plan for.

Thanks and I hope to see everyone April 12 and 13th.
Are you planning route sheets/GPS tracts or just the three lead rides?


Sounds like a fun time!
__________________
2009 GSA 2008 Husky TE450 2013 Husky Terra
IBA 50407
Bobby Ginger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,548
Yea Baby!!!

Count me in of course.

Ive always wondered what it would be like to ride up there and NOT be racing.

Really looking forward to this.

GPS tracks are the way to go! Lot less hassle for everyone!
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
bduke OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Prattville,AL
Oddometer: 49
I don't have a GPS at this time that will store routes and download them. I will see if any club member has one. What is the best kind to get that will download the routes to everyone else GPS?
bduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
bduke OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Prattville,AL
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ginger View Post
Are you planning route sheets/GPS tracts or just the three lead rides?


Sounds like a fun time!
I will try to get a GPS that will download the route and we will have a leader for each group and GPS routes.
bduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder
 
Bobby Ginger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: N.E. FL
Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by bduke View Post
I don't have a GPS at this time that will store routes and download them. I will see if any club member has one. What is the best kind to get that will download the routes to everyone else GPS?
I believe most modern Garmin units have that ability.

I watched some youtube video of enduros from past years. Looks like perfect riding!
__________________
2009 GSA 2008 Husky TE450 2013 Husky Terra
IBA 50407
Bobby Ginger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by bduke View Post
I will try to get a GPS that will download the route and we will have a leader for each group and GPS routes.
bduke: I will pm you on GPS unit. I have an extra you can use to create tracks.

Thanks for doing this.

As a side note: I believe am one of the remaining few who actually rode the Fire Tower Hill. My first Maplesville Enduro (now Perry Mountain) was in 1968 and boy to I have a love hate relationship with that place.

Cant wait.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Gimmee
Adventurer
 
Gimmee's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Chumuckla Fl
Oddometer: 92
maples ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Thanks!
I'm coming from Pensacola.
I would like to join the intermediate group.

I ride a DRZ 400 with knobbies.
Riding offroad since 1971, and have ridden enduros, hare scrambles and poker runs many times in that part of Alabama.
Maplesville, Clanton, Rockford, Jemison, Talladega and Pell City areas.

Looking forward to this event!
tony u can ride n the powder puff class with me
Gimmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 1,968
Work schedule permitting, I'm in with my DR350.
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
bduke OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Prattville,AL
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
bduke: I will pm you on GPS unit. I have an extra you can use to create tracks.

Thanks for doing this.

As a side note: I believe am one of the remaining few who actually rode the Fire Tower Hill. My first Maplesville Enduro (now Perry Mountain) was in 1968 and boy to I have a love hate relationship with that place.

Cant wait.
Thanks Vico1. We will be going by the Fire Tower, I wish we could still get to the hill coming up to the tower. They have a fence and gate around the tower now. They used to tell me if you were able to climb the hill you would have a good finish because so many people got stuck on the hill. I did not start riding at Perry mountain until 1989 so I never got to climb the hill.
bduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,548
Firetower Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduke View Post
Thanks Vico1. We will be going by the Fire Tower, I wish we could still get to the hill coming up to the tower. They have a fence and gate around the tower now. They used to tell me if you were able to climb the hill you would have a good finish because so many people got stuck on the hill. I did not start riding at Perry mountain until 1989 so I never got to climb the hill.
If I might add to the story, at some point, I forget when, they stopped climbing Firetower Hill, but I did not get the message and during the enduro I climbed Firetower Hill only to find I didn't have to. Kenny Royster and all the folks at the top told that story for years.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
bduke OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Prattville,AL
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
If I might add to the story, at some point, I forget when, they stopped climbing Firetower Hill, but I did not get the message and during the enduro I climbed Firetower Hill only to find I didn't have to. Kenny Royster and all the folks at the top told that story for years.
I hope Kenny Royster will be there to tell all the good stories from good ole days. When I joined PMMC I did not have a club shirt and he gave me his off his back at the first race I worked, He said "everybody knows I am a member but they do not know you so take this shirt and hat and everybody will listen to you because they will know you are with the club."
bduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014