User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Need Some Airhead Help in New Smyrna

Need some help with airhead right perch removal and replacement.
Anyone able to lend a hand? I'm happy to pay, provide refreshments, lunch. Have enclosed semi-cooled garage. Nothing major just need someone familiar with airhead wrenching. Anyone available to lend a hand?

CaptMako screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 03:19 PM
CaptMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,779
I'm on the other end of the state, but what are your issues w/ perch removal? With cables etc removed it is straightforward to loosen the 5mm clamp screw and pull the perch off

If you have difficulties going on post up to the ADV Airheads subforum here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
I'm on the other end of the state, but what are your issues w/ perch removal? With cables etc removed it is straightforward to loosen the 5mm clamp screw and pull the perch off

If you have difficulties going on post up to the ADV Airheads subforum here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Hi Mugwest - thanks for the help. I'm just concerned about the heated grips removal. I have a Clymer, but nothing in the book about pulling the perch and grips off that I find.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,779
Heater grips whether original BMW or aftermarket are bonded to the twistgrip/throttle tube. Find the connector (under the tank if stock BMW heated grips) and unplug it, disconnect throttle cable/s, remove perch.

If these are aftermarket heater elements, the previous installer may have some creative wiring in there--- you'll need to see what you have and trace/map the wiring scheme. Once the grips are disconnected the perch pulls off

Again, post this to ADV's Old School Airheads sub and you'll get 500 more eyeballs on this
Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you. Just posted-up in the airhead area. I'm going out to pull the tank and see if I can locate the connection to the heated grip. Keeping my fingers crossed. Cheers.