Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 464
The Video Series - Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Fron

Many have gone before, and we have read many stories of others. One can find videos and descriptions of countless others. Nothing new about that.

For us, that was not enough. To dream of "someday" and couch surf the net just wouldn't do. For us, "someday" was now. We wanted our own stories; our own adventure. For us, it was about VALIDATION and jumping through that portal to manhood together as father and son.

I hope you enjoy our story and someday can claim your own.

////////////////////////////////////////
Trailer – Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Frontier (The Video Series)
////////////////////////////////////////
In the summer of 2013, a unique opportunity for both a father and his 17 year old son to ride BMW GS Adventure motorcycles north to British Columbia, the Yukon Territory and the state of Alaska to the farthest roads on the North American Continent presented itself. Our route was non-linear and we rode some of the most amazing and lonely roads of the north with the furthest point north being Alaska’s Prudhoe Bay. Along the way we interacted with indigenous people, met old friends, made new friends and encountered wildlife from a vantage point few get to experience.

We documented the trip extensively with pictures and video footage of that magical trip. In order to tell the story, we have put together a video series titled, “Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in the Northern Frontier”.

The video documentary has been divided into several distinct episodes to tell the story and depict our experiences on a personal level. This trailer serves as a brief summary and a teaser for the resulting episodes to follow.

As usual, the video is best enjoyed with headphones and a fine wine or a good beer. Hitting replay is optional and recommended to soak it all in.

Our documented Trip Report on ADVRider: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898115

We personally invite you to ride along and join us in our adventure.
As always, "Adventure B4 Dementia"

Thanks for Riding along. ~ GrizzLee & Yukon Johann

See our Blog - RubiKon Adventures for more of our life experiences: http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.com/
RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
richh
Rich H.

Oddometer: 2
Very well done and thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
richh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
gozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Outstanding video! My dad and I are currently planning a similar trip for this summer. Can't wait to see the rest of the episodes.
gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Norrie
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Great video look'n forward to the rest of the adventure

Norrie
Norrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
curlesw
05 RT n00b

Oddometer: 27
Fantastic, simple fantastic.

As a father of a 7 year old boy, I hope I am posting a similar video in 10-12 years.

v/r
Wayne C.

curlesw screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 06:25 PM
curlesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Fantastic indeed.
I streamed it thru my AppleTV to the big screen. The cats perked up at the fox.

They like MotoGP too.

...more

An odd thing; I tried to re-play the video off my YouTube App on my iPad. I get a message that the content is blocked due to HFA content on copyright grounds.

Mr Head screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 08:22 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Fantastic indeed.

...more

An odd thing; I tried to re-play the video off my YouTube App on my iPad. I get a message that the content is blocked due to HFA content on copyright grounds.
Yes, it seems that one of my favorite local artists here in Seattle, Michael Gettel, is popular enough now to have his digital rights enforced for no play on mobile devices. Fair enough. He has fantastic music, and I use it a lot in my videos. I wish I had his kind of talent. I hope you all like it as well. You can always play the embedded video on your phone, iPad,etc.

And thanks to every one else. Go ride with your son or your dad and don't forget, some even have daughters and moms... Don't wait for someday... Take that chance to ride with them. I hope to read your stories. Add some "Validation" and experiences to your portfolio

Stay tuned... Next episode is getting the final touches. And I warn you, more Michael Gettel

GrizzLee screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 06:45 AM
Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I guess I'll have to figure out how to play it off the HP notebook. It's not real mobil, but I can lift it..
When you're all done, burn a blueray. I'll buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
Yes, it seems that one of my favorite local artists here in Seattle, Michael Gettel, is popular enough now to have his digital rights enforced for no play on mobile devices. Fair enough. He has fantastic music, and I use it a lot in my videos. I wish I had his kind of talent. I hope you all like it as well. You can always play the embedded video on your phone, iPad,etc.

And thanks to every one else. Go ride with your son or your dad and don't forget, some even have daughters and moms... Don't wait for someday... Take that chance to ride with them. I hope to read your stories. Add some "Validation" and experiences to your portfolio

Stay tuned... Next episode is getting the final touches. And I warn you, more Michael Gettel
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Again, another great Rubikon production! Thank you and looking forward to more adventures. Your videos are a great inspiration for me as I will be following the same roads soon.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgee View Post
Again, another great Rubikon production! Thank you and looking forward to more adventures. Your videos are a great inspiration for me as I will be following the same roads soon.
Take me with you! I could be your son ... or maybe even your dad. I feel young at heart.

Thanks for the kind words. I wish I had time and money to go again.... Mostly it is the time. Please take your "time" and stop to smell the roses so to speak. Ride safe my friend.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Thank you Grizzlee, I will smell the roses and be thinking of your adventures too!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

The Nisga'a Lava Beds - "Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son..."

The Nisga'a Lava Beds -
"Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Frontier"

One of the places we wanted to visit was the Nisga’a Lave Beds Memorial Park.

We had briefly visited this area on our return trip back home from our Donjek Expedition in 2011. We liked what little we saw and vowed to come back. In my research of rides to Alaska, very little mention is made of this area. Riders traveling to Alaska are advised to visit this wonderful part of the world. Who knows, you may encounter a "Spirit Bear". We wanted to see the area before the Northern Gateway Project Gets full approval. From a personal level, I wished to see this part of the world before big development moves in.

The area contains Four Villages, represented by one nation. The Nisga’a people live to the north of Terrace in the Nass Valley. The area is unique and beautiful. Snow capped mountain peaks surround a valley where large rivers flow, deep fjord lakes, vast lava fields and the ocean.

Over 200 years ago a catastrophic lava eruption resulted in molten lava filling the Nass valley and killing over 2000 indigenous people. As a result, 2 of the 4 villages are located up and away from the valley floor.

The Nisga’a highway leaves Terrace and a side detour down to Ginglox is a must. The winding road through the lush rainforest made for a fantastic ride. Once at Ginglox, one can see the entrance to the Portland Canal (Alaska).

The Nisaga’a Hwy rejoins the Cassiar beyond the village of New Aiyansh. Pavement quickly gives way to gravel for about 30 miles. This is where having a dualsport bike pays big dividends. The gravel portion can be a little rough, and caution must be taken as there are mining and logging trucks on the road with many areas of pot holes and large gravel rocks. There was lots of dust on the day we rode through the area. We had to space ourselves to avoid eating each others dust. This was my sons second experience on the trip where he rode a bike in the dirt. With all the gear loaded, dust, potholes and trucks, I was proud to see him do very well.

Enjoy this Episode as we try and capture the magic of this place known as the Nisga’a Lava Beds Memorial Park.

As usual, headphones and a fine wine recommended. Hit replay to soak it all up.

GrizzLee screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 11:08 PM
Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #13
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Off to the wine shop on the way home.

Thanks GrizzLee!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Off to the wine shop on the way home.

Thanks GrizzLee!

I should mention, it goes well with that first morning cup of coffee as well. Get that day started on a positive note.

I don't want to encourage anyone to "fall off the wagon".
It can be hard enough to avoid troubles with the bikes as is.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Grizz,

Awesome job, yet again, on the videos you are producing! I may have to do Alaska all over again with my new-to-me GoPro! The pics I took are great memories, but what you're able to do with video - to recapture the beauty of the North - is fantastic. I can almost hear the waters rushing!

Sean
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote