Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #16
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 472
Glaciers and Bears - "Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern F

Glaciers and Bears - "Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Frontier"

Enjoy this Episode of our trip as we try and capture the magic of this corner of the world as we ride through Stewart, Hyder and up to the Salmon Glacier.

Highway 37a is a spur road off of the Cassiar highway (hwy 37). Approximately 40 miles from the turn off is Stewart, Canada. The ride to Stewart is incredible, as we witness glaciers, bears, rivers and tremendous mountains. These are only superseded by the road beyond Hyder, Alaska, were one can pass a bear viewing platform and witness both, black bears and grizzly bears, fishing together for salmon. Assuming of course, the salmon are indeed running. Continuing further up the road, one will pass by active mining sites and finally find themselves in the high alpine area above a huge glacier, the Salmon Glacier. It is no doubt the closest one can drive to glaciers of this magnitude on the north American continent. The summit of the road is a wonderful picnic spot. To ride beyond, is a dream, as the road is lined with cascading waterfalls and multiple glaciers come into view. I hope you enjoy this video as much as we enjoyed making it.

As always, fine wine and headphones recommended

RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #17
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Thanks again for another great video. Looking forward to others.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgee View Post
Thanks again for another great video. Looking forward to others.
Glad you liked it.

I am very fortunate to have this footage. Much of the footage for this portion of the trip was nearly lost. My hard drive got corrupted and my back up USB drive when south on me in Fairbanks. I was really bummed.

Fortunately, I have a great friend at MicroSoft who took everything and was able to recover quite a bit using "in-house" tools and techniques. Probably the same software the NSA uses.

I still lost much footage from the trip. However, we were able to recover about 80% of the footage from this leg of the trip.

Bottom line is, in the future, I will travel with a laptop that has a solid state drive. Hard Drives and off road adventures don't mix.

Oh and one other word of advice. Make sure you format your GoPro SD card before using it.

GrizzLee screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 04:03 PM
Old 02-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Talking

Big shout out to my dad! he has been working very hard on all of his videos ever since we got back from our trip. Thanks Grizz for putting all the time and effort into these excellent videos and preserving our memories for the years to come.
Yukon Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 144
Absolutely fantastic! You are BOTH very lucky. Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to future instalments.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Johann View Post
Big shout out to my dad! he has been working very hard on all of his videos ever since we got back from our trip. Thanks Grizz for putting all the time and effort into these excellent videos and preserving our memories for the years to come.
Did my son just post here? I'm going to have to take his cell phone away more often

Seriously, thanks buddy. I can't tell you how much these trips with you have meant to me. Someday you can share these with your kid(s). I hope I am there to see it. VALIDATION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
Absolutely fantastic! You are BOTH very lucky. Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to future instalments.
Lucky ... Absolutely!!
Thankful ... Every single day.

Sometimes, as a father I feel like this is our father-son relationship.
I guess it is the same for dads every where.
Someday. Yeah, someday, I hope it is more like this. (I'll be the one on the right).

Thanks...

Teaser Alert
Up next. Telegraph Creek and the Stikine Canyon. One of Johann's favorite parts of the moto expedition. He took to the dirt like a magnet.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #22
YetiHunter
2 Wheels & Flyrod

Oddometer: 55
A Real Treat

Great videos, truly beautiful footage. And Grizz....I'm nominating you for best Dad ever award.
YetiHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #23
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiHunter View Post
Great videos, truly beautiful footage. And Grizz....I'm nominating you for best Dad ever award.
Best Dad award??
You now know that my son is reading this thread.
I suspect there will be a refutation of that nomination.

However, thanks for the mention. The nomination is the award.

Now I'll go see if my helmet still fits my big head.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Telegraph Creek - "Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Fron

Telegraph Creek - "Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Frontier"

Enjoy this Episode of our trip as we ride the awesome Stikine Canyon to telegraph Creek. The place is sometimes referred to as the “Grand Canyon of the North”.

Tucked in the northwestern corner of British Columbia, following the Stikine river is BC HWY 57, a 75 mile dirt road with 36 miles of 'steep mountain roads'. To call it a highway is a joke. Trailers and RVs would have a tough time on this road and during times of rain, it can be quite dangerous. It is a perfect road for big dualsport adventure riders.

This road, also known as the road to Telegraph Creek, is a rough gravel road, steep gradients (up to 20%) with narrow passages along canyon walls, no guardrails, and sharp-angled switchbacks. The road should be ridden with caution and awareness. On a sunny day, one will wonder what all the fuss is about. But ride it in the rain and your disposition will quickly change.

The Telegraph Creek town site and area has a colorful history dating back to the Yukon gold rush era known as the Yukon Gold Rush. Gold was discovered in the Stikine River in the late 1860’s and was also the route of the failed Collins Overland Telegraph Cable. There is a rumor that the Telegraph Trail has big 265 km stretch that hikers have completed.

Riders travelling the north should not miss this gem. The ride to Telegraph Creek may very well be the highlight of their northern trip. We happened to arrive during a fundraiser event and were invited by the Tahltan natives to join them for a salmon bake. We met the Chief and were invited to stay the night on his land next to the Stikine River. It was a memorable experience and a highlight of our motorcycle expedition north.

It was at this point in our moto expedition north where Johann remarked that he liked the dirt riding more than the pavement. He wishes there was more and really gave him a hunger for the Dalton Highway up to Prudhoe Bay. I place we were to travel in a few days.

Get some headphones, grab that morning cup 'o' joe and enjoy. Or better yet, grab a good beer and/or fine wine, watch in hi-def on the big set and enjoy the sound track. I think you will find Schiller to be very relaxing. Take a mini-vacation and ponder your next adventure. Thanks for riding with us. ~Grizz

Old 02-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #25
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,795
Thanks...
darmahman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #26
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

The Beauty of the Cassiar - "Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Nor

The Beauty of the Cassiar - "Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Frontier"

Enjoy this Episode of our trip as we document some of the beauty we experienced along the Cassiar highway.
The term “Super Natural” as used in the British Columbia slogan is exemplified in this part of the world. And to state that this is the “Best Place on Earth” is a gross understatement. I personally like to describe this part of the world as “sacred”. It has been one of the north’s best kept secrets. Traveling the Cassiar highway is one of the greatest rushes of excitement I’ve ever felt. Somewhere between the start of the highway at the junction of the Yellowhead highway at Kitwanga and through to Watson Lake in the Yukon, there is a divine power at work.
The Cassiar highway is a temple and like any temple, one enters it feeling humbled, small and enlightened. It may not contain the grandeur of the rockies, but it harbors something more. Along the edges lie true wilderness containing huge tracts of wilderness which contain some of the last road less areas in North America; a complete and diverse eco system teaming with wildlife, fox, bears, caribou, moose and other animals can be found in abundance here. Unfortunately, the Cassiar highway 37 corridor is undergoing infrastructure enhancements as resource extraction activities increase in the Northwest region of British Columbia. Damns, power lines, mines, etc.. are now being developed and threatening this region as nature is exploited. It won’t be long and this magical corner of the world will be changed forever. As for me, I am glad I got to see it with my son before the big transformation. We will take with us memories of what once was.

I hope you enjoy this video as much as we enjoyed making it. The beauty of the Cassiar… Truly, an adventure not to be missed.

Set some time aside and put the headphones on. Enjoy!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #27
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Iv’e said it before, sure enjoy your videos. The music and landscape go together very well. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #28
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Another great video, dude! You're like the bear whisperer. They seem to find you!

The Salmon Glacier was beautiful. Thanks for bringing it to us!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #29
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgee View Post
Iv’e said it before, sure enjoy your videos. The music and landscape go together very well. Thank you!
Thank you sir.

Hope you get some ideas to inspire you. You have to let me know how your trip goes.

GrizzLee screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 10:57 PM
Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #30
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
Another great video, dude! You're like the bear whisperer. They seem to find you!

The Salmon Glacier was beautiful. Thanks for bringing it to us!
I think johann enjoyed it more than I did. I had to make him leave

He told me he loved the dirt part. 2 days later we were on telegraph creek road. When we finished that he said that it was even better. From then on, all he wanted to ride was dirt. He was ready for the Dalton.

Bear Whisperer... I dunno about that. I ride slow to soak it all in and constantly have my head on swivel looking for signs of wildlife. BTW: One of those bears, the brown bear, started getting close enough that he could hear my whispers... Then he heard the load roar of my engine! I really wish folks wouldn't feed them. I suspect that particular bear may eventually end up dead from hanging around the road or getting into trouble in one of the villages. Makes me sad.

I typically see 7-10 bears here in the cascades every year. On the Cassiar, I can see that many in 2 days. Sometimes in one day. It is an amazing place. In fact, I saw more wildlife on the Cassiar than any other part of our trip. It is an astounding place.