Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #31
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 502
The Road to Fairbanks - Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern

The Road to Fairbanks - Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Frontier

Enjoy this Episode of our trip as we travel the Alaska Highway from Watson Lake in the Yukon to Fairbanks Alaska
Things really get rocking once we finished the Cassiar highway. We looked at our schedule and realized we had used 10 days of our allotted 3.5 week vacation. No time to lose. We head over to Alaska via the Alaska Highway passing through many towns and villages, including Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Haines Junction and pass through Delta Junction, the end of the famous Alcan and arrive in Fairbanks just in time to dry out. This is where we ultimately prepare ourselves for the Dalton Highway out to Prudhoe Bay.

Facts:

• The town of Whitehorse is the city with the least air pollution in the world. So take a deep breath.
  • Haines Junction is the Gateway to Kluane Park.
  • Kluane Park includes the highest mountain in Canada, Mount Logan 19,551 ft. Combined with Wrangell St Elias, these parks contain the largest non-polar ice fields in the world.
  • Delta Junction is the terminus of the Alcan Highway
  • The population of Fairbanks Alaska is nearly the same as the population of the entire Yukon
  • The Yukon Quest is a 1,000 mile dogsled race between Whitehorse and Fairbanks. It is considered to be the "most difficult sled dog race in the world" and some even claim it to be "toughest race in the world".
  • A dorm room at the University of Fairbanks rents for $37/night during the summer months
  • Summer rain can be freezing cold in the north, especially at 60 mph on motorcycles
  • You meet the nicest motorcycle folks on the Alcan
Enjoy this episode as a prelude to the big event. Riding the Dalton Highway (the Haul Road) to the edge of a continent coming up next.

RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars

GrizzLee screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 11:27 PM
GrizzLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #32
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,770
Great video and tunes to accompany.

We took that same ride (opposite direction) from Tok on the way home in 2012 and like you we hit hard cold rain pretty much from the Alaska border to Haines Jct, right through some of the most pretty spots around Kulane Lake. What is with that area?

Your video was great to refresh the memory but there is so much we missed because of weather. Must return one day I suppose
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #33
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 137
My Son and I made this trip together in 2012 as well. Your video brings back many fond memorys. Thank You
I do recall many wet and cold days. It just seems to be part of the adventure.

Ride Safe everyone!
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #34
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Great video and tunes to accompany.

We took that same ride (opposite direction) from Tok on the way home in 2012 and like you we hit hard cold rain pretty much from the Alaska border to Haines Jct, right through some of the most pretty spots around Kulane Lake. What is with that area?

Your video was great to refresh the memory but there is so much we missed because of weather. Must return one day I suppose
Great area for sure. I've been there a couple of times before. The drive along Kluane in great weather is probably the most scenic part of the entire Alcan highway. We were looking forward to it. Unfortunately, mother nature had other ideas for the 2 days we road to Fairbanks

I've trekked in Kluane park in 2011. One of the most incredible places on the planet. Very physically demanding terrain. No hiking trails, tundra, muskeg and brush.

Best campsite eva (see our tents just left of center here).

Notice the rams horn holding the tent stake in the glacial silt.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #35
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbercat View Post
My Son and I made this trip together in 2012 as well. Your video brings back many fond memorys. Thank You
I do recall many wet and cold days. It just seems to be part of the adventure.

Ride Safe everyone!

Correct. Any traveller north, car, bike, hike, etc... must always plan and account for rain and cold. When the sun is out, it is pretty warm. Get some rain and, oh boy, it gets cold very, very fast.

What a great experience to do with your son. It will be etched forever in my memories.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #36
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,738
Thumb Yea baby...

GREAT stuff Grizz!!! Parepin and I met in 2010 at Westfest in MT... then road through BC and up the Cassiar Hwy to the Salmon Glacier to the Signpost forest and then into Ross River, the Dempster (ooooh yea), Top of the World (after hours ) then the Dalton and back past Denali to Anchorage.

Thanx for the memories and great videos brother!

Looking forward to more.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #37
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
GREAT stuff Grizz!!! Parepin and I met in 2010 at Westfest in MT... then road through BC and up the Cassiar Hwy to the Salmon Glacier to the Signpost forest and then into Ross River, the Dempster (ooooh yea), Top of the World (after hours ) then the Dalton and back past Denali to Anchorage.

Thanx for the memories and great videos brother!

Looking forward to more.
Dempster and Dalton... WOW!! A double dose of mud.

A midnight crossing of the Top of the World. Hmmm... might be fun in the dusk. Do tell.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #38
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Thanks again Grizzlee for another great video! Keeps me excited when I can do that trip along with many more. Keep em comin...
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #39
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
Dempster and Dalton... WOW!! A double dose of mud.

A midnight crossing of the Top of the World. Hmmm... might be fun in the dusk. Do tell.
Yes ol' buddy the Dempster bit my butt as I was doing near 70mph in a muddy grated zone after a fresh rain! (yea not reeeaal smart) Went down hard but bounced back up. When back in Dawson we hung around a day and then left at dusk... met some German hikers at the campground across the river... spent a bit too long there sharing our energy. Then by the time we hit the guard shack it was after hours and had to make a decision. Out of the three of us two went for it.
The story has never been full told due to the lack of complete legality buuuut needless to say it was a BLAST!

Link to that part of the story here on page 22: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...659820&page=22

The crash site...

Just before the shack on the Top of the World...

The campground delay...

Safely over to Fairbanks to ride the Dalton...
Old 03-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #40
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Yes ol' buddy the Dempster bit my butt as I was doing near 70mph in a muddy grated zone after a fresh rain! (yea not reeeaal smart) Went down hard but bounced back up. When back in Dawson we hung around a day and then left at dusk... met some German hikers at the campground across the river... spent a bit too long there sharing our energy. Then by the time we hit the guard shack it was after hours and had to make a decision. Out of the three of us two went for it.
The story has never been full told due to the lack of complete legality buuuut needless to say it was a BLAST!

[B]
That sir, is quite the tale. Loved it... I dove head first into that RR and only stopped to come up for air.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #41
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgee View Post
Thanks again Grizzlee for another great video! Keeps me excited when I can do that trip along with many more. Keep em comin...

You betcha...

The Dalton is next...
Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #42
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
That sir, is quite the tale. Loved it... I dove head first into that RR and only stopped to come up for air.
Thank you for the peak... didn't wanna side track your RR but figured I'd give a short explan about it. Should do a separate story someday on just that night. T'was a rush.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #43
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

The Dalton Dance - Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Fron

The Dalton Dance - Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Frontier

Preamble.... Sorry it has been so long between the episodes. Sidetracked by work and other life interruptions. Many asked if I was going to finish posting the videos in the series. The answer is yes.

If you have ridden the Dalton Highway, you may very well be envious of our trip as we had 4 days of absolutely wonderful weather. Warm, dry weather and perfect road conditions. In fact, it was too hot, as you will see. But we never complained, because it could have easily been rainy and slippery. As a father, I was happy that the conditions were what they were... PERFECT!!

If you have never ridden the Dalton and plan to, don't be fooled by this video account. The road can be a fickle beast at best.

With that said.....

//////////////
Enjoy this Episode of our trip as we travel the Dalton Highway (also known as the Haul Road) from Fairbanks Alaska to the edge of the continent at Prudhoe Bay.

In the far northern reaches of the United States, there is a highway, which directly parallels an oil pipeline for 500 miles to the Arctic Ocean. It is one of the most isolated roads in the United States.
The road is very primitive in places. Riding a motorcycle in this land carries significant risk. It has been stated that approximately 1 in 50 motorcycle riders on the Dalton will crash. The nearest medical facilities are in Fairbanks and Deadhorse, 500 miles apart. Weve read that anyone embarking on a journey on the Dalton is encouraged to bring survival gear and a stiff upper lip.
This is where I took my son, who at 17 years old, took on an adventure to ride more 6000 miles with me.

The Dalton is considered, by many, to be the epitome of motorcycle adventure. To ride it with your son is even more special. While my son and I have had many adventures in the north, starting with him paddling 500 miles in his own kayak on the Yukon River at 11 years of age and trekking through trail less areas in the bush through glaciers and bear infested country, this was to be the final chapter of his childhood. In a few months he will turn 18, he is a young man who will have to find his own path and live his own adventures through adulthood. The Dalton, would be a final test for the boy and the last adventure for dad with his boy. From this time forward, we will share adventures together as men.

Enjoy this Episode of our trip as we try and capture the magic of riding in the most northern road in the United States, the Dalton Highway.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #44
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Once again, another great video from Grizzlee! I worked on the pipeline in 75 and 76 north of the Brooks mountain range and did a fair amount of cross country skiing there. Your video brought back many good memories. Thank you again. Im planning a trip there soon as I can muster up time off from work on my GS. Sure would be nice to have the weather you guys had! Lucky Id say, lol.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #45
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Cool,
Glad you liked it. I bet x-country skiing was a dream up there.

I still don' t understand how one can work up there with all the bugs out on the tundra. Coldfoot wasn't too bad, but once we exited the Brooks Range onto the open tundra... man oh man they were bad. I think I'd rather work in the cold than deal with them critters.