Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #31
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
Sorry, I was making a smart assed comment about what passes for off road to a lot people.
I am a trials rider, stuff that looks impassable to other people looks like a slightly interesting section to me.
What I am getting at is that most people consider a "road" hardcore offroading.

In some places like West Virginia it might just take a trials bike to traverse a few of those overgrown paths that show as roads on some maps. Been there seen it!

Then there was the time in Ohio where the wet weather caused some serious ground slips. I remember one where I tried the trials method to lift and hop a bit to get the bike up over the sheer face... no dice, the back wheel sank in a serious soft spot and I'm on a bike that's standing at about an 80 degree angle from horizontal!

You are right though. It really gets relative too. When I was younger riding the Sherpa T I'd try about anything. On the MXers I'd blast around anywhere and loved catching what air you could with 5/8" travel. Then after about 15 years road only I was trying to get back off road with a CR250 and made a serious error in judgement that nearly cost my life when I stuck a double, hit the bars bursting a lung, and shattering my C6. Now I am going back off road a bit over 20 years later. My version is now much milder. I'm looking at some decent trails until I get better skills back. No doubles not much air.

I do envy you guys with the new trials skills. I did ride my brother's Sherko "Bultaco" 370 one time. It would have been a blast to play with that for a while. Made the old M27 feel like a 350 Honda!

Ya still gotta consider what "might be off road".

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #32
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
If you don't need a license plate, it's offroad.

Technically true! Road racing and such are closed circuit racing and considered off-road by the likes of the government (read as DOT and EPA). And you can run trick exhausts - except in California. Glad I'm in Ohio.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #33
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
While we're at it, can people stop calling the engine a "motor"? The only motor on most motorcycles is the starter. (Or is that enginecycles? Oh, damn. People use the wrong words so often.)

Too technical. Ain't gonna happen. Don't see the charm in the term "enginecycle" either. "I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my enginesickle"... nah! Ain't gonna work! Arlo would never approve...

Mark - klx678
Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #34
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,462
Quote:
While we're at it, can people stop calling the engine a "motor"? The only motor on most motorcycles is the starter. (Or is that enginecycles? Oh, damn. People use the wrong words so often.)
Electric motorcycles actually do have a motor.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #35
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
As far as tires are concerned...It's about paved to non-paved...categorizing the tread capabilities, (not the rider's).
Old 02-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #36
MGV8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
So this might be considered off road, but then there is pavement, so on- road? It is a race so off-road? Probably been posted before but thought it was appropriate for this discussion

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LEECE2PRTnI

Brian
MGV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #37
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Sometimes you get traffic
Those are different beaches? Where is that at? Not many places in the US where you can ride on the beach so Mexico, So. America?
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #38
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Those are different beaches? Where is that at? Not many places in the US where you can ride on the beach so Mexico, So. America?
Both beaches in Australia .
One beach is in the West the second at the mouth of the Murray River.
There are beach riding oportunities in most states though they are all hot spots for tafffic on a long weekend.

In most cases the beaches that allow vehicle access are gazetted roads and are subject to traffic regulations.

The beaches get graded twice a day resulting in the pristine surface in the first photo and the rutted condition of the second after holiday traffic.

Sort of blurs the line of off road / off pavement / on road.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #39
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:

No.

mo·tor (ˈmōtər) noun 1. a machine, esp. one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #40
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Quote:

I don't ride an enginecycle.

Motor IS a correct term. i.e. Ford MOTOR Company... General MOTORS...

Now be a good sport and fetch some beer.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #41
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I don't ride an enginecycle.

Motor IS a correct term. i.e. Ford MOTOR Company... General MOTORS...

Now be a good sport and fetch some beer.
Although I agree that the argument is silly. I think silliness is appropriate here.

When someone asks a ridiculous question like, "What's off road" then all arguments, big or small and no matter how satirical, are up for grabs (especially when OP backs this up with his giant internet balls proclamation that he's a badass trials rider).

What's reality? What's the nature of man? What's the ratio of actual dirt to sand and gravel? Is there rocks and does that alter the fact that trials bikes don't have seats? Where do I put my ass? Does my ass matter? What's the nature of my ass beyond propelling shit?

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 08:31 PM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #42
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
motor trend,motor magazine, motorsports,Indianapolis motor speedway,motocross, Bavarian Motor Works,Harley Davidson motor company,
a motor can be electric or i.c. however i have never heard a steam engine referred to as a motor.

oh yeah almost forgot. OP is a douche
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #43
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,193
Off-road is when somebody gets off the motorway on a big ADV behemoth, and goes to a camping ground, and then has to ride the last 50 yards on the grass in order to park the bike next to the tent... that's the most off-road those bikes usually ever see (yeah I know, there are exceptions)
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #44
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Most people who say "off road" simply mean "off pavement".
This is it, everything else is over-thinking like someone mentioned already.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #45
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I don't consider a gravel road off road no.
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote