User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Otis357 OP
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 413
Riding and fishing

Starting to think forward to this summers ride. Considering riding north from Oakville and finding a remote fishing lodge to spend a few days at. Temagami, Timmins, Kap, Elliott Lake.... something we can ride to and get a cabin. Fish in the AM and PM, and maybe explore some logging roads during the day. Lots of hits on Google but wondering if anyone has a recommend for a good lodge with good fishing

Cant wait... this winter is really dragging.....
Otis357 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,102
No recommendations, but listening in for some. Got here last year and my daughter and I take a few weekends together to camp and fish.
I have a collapseable rod and lightweight reel that rarely leaves the bike. Looking forward to this season.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Critt
Gathering info

Oddometer: 115
This trip sounds like a good idea. Best of both worlds (lake+woods)
Critt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #5
Otis357 OP
Dirty Hippie

Yeah, we took the rods on the James Bay Road last year, but down time was not as plentiful as we hoped and between the weather and the bugs fishing from shore was just not very enjoyable.

A cabin and use of a boat would be great... don't care much about the lodge itself, as long as the fishing is good with lots of lunkers
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 179
Here ya go.

Check out Biscotasing. Only if you like pickerel fishing at it's finest. rent a houseboat, lodge or canoe.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Loved the name of this thread! I can't help with your question but can tell you last June I rode for 3 weeks in the NWT's and fished everyday, it was fantastic. A license for a non resident is only $20.00, for a year!!!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
gonnagetthere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I like the concept but can't offer any recommendations as I haven't made a similar trip. Did fish a neat spot along a logging road north of Kenora several years ago for pike and walleye. Was on a business trip, and used the rental car to get there. Had a good day.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and join in if possible. Sounds like it could be a fun trip.
gonnagetthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
Otis357 OP
Dirty Hippie

Been reading through sites for a number of lodges - most sound pretty good. Even found one that will fly you in to a cabin at a remote lake for an overnight at a pretty reasonable rate. Biscotasing looks interesting - thanks Kevy. Fits the bill nicely too. Lots of roads to check out and a huge lake... should be plenty of nice bays to try.

Planning for late June\early July so Bass is open.... likely a Thursday - Tuesday trip. Not opposed to tenting either, but at that time of year the bugs will be nasty so a cabin would be a little more enjoyable.

If only we could get rid of this f*&!%$g snow....
Old 02-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,810
Chapleau won the Ultimate Fishing Town contest a few years ago. This area is noted for walleye, northern pike, lake trout, small mouth bass etc. There are several good lodges. Some you can drive to some are fly-in. I go fishing often. If you want to include Chapleau in your trip I can make some suggestions.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
CSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Might be a bit far... but I've been toying with the idea of riding up from Toronto (leaving very early some morning) and staying one one of these:
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit...ger-cabins.php

If you dig through there are a couple there that are land access... and probably lots of good fishing.
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
Forest Cop
Forest Cop

Oddometer: 14
Places to fish near Kirkland Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis357 View Post
Starting to think forward to this summers ride. Considering riding north from Oakville and finding a remote fishing lodge to spend a few days at. Temagami, Timmins, Kap, Elliott Lake.... something we can ride to and get a cabin. Fish in the AM and PM, and maybe explore some logging roads during the day. Lots of hits on Google but wondering if anyone has a recommend for a good lodge with good fishing

Cant wait... this winter is really dragging.....
Hey Otis,
Itès been years since I was up there, but...North of Kirkland Lake is a small town of Sesekinika and a lake with the same name. Great fishing and there has to be a lodging around town.
Also, I believe the road going East from Hwy.11 is called Hwy.66 (east into Kirkland) but if you go West from Hwy 11 on 66, there is a road about 20 minutes west, which heads North to Watabeag Lake, nice ride, good fishing, lots of logging roads... Have fun.
Forest Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
DirtVader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Waterfalls lodge is in behind spannish, on the way to elliot lake, and has lakes right on the lodge, and you can rent boats for the day (I believe). They even have remote lakes that they quad out to, but if you're confident and ride a decently nimble bike you could probably take that instead! I've been back on most of the trails with my super sherpa, so it's possible, but then again I have a tiny bike.

Also, there's quite a few logging roads to explore in the area. I would know, as I've explored most of them already

My parents have a camper set up there during the summer, if you're planning on making a stop there, or even passing by and want to take a short jaunt down one of the logging roads in the area, leave me a PM and hopefully I'm free so I can give you a tour around

The owners of the lodge are really nice people, and they've got a nice camp set up. Here's their website: http://www.waterfallslodge.com/
DirtVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
Flueger
Wandering

Oddometer: 117
I'd suggest the Chapleau area as well. Horwood Lake Lodge on the Hardiman Bay portion of Horwood is remote and can be accessed from Gogama by fire access roads, its about 70 or so KM as the crow flies from Gogama/The Watershed.

But then there are too many places to mention in the region.

F.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #15
RForestR
In the Woods

Oddometer: 162
+2 on Chapleau.

The fishing in the area is fantastic. Scenery is classic Northern Ontario too.

But then I may be biased, since I have a place there for "Cottagin"