Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #16
TrailFire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I was thinking of something similar this summer. Mattagami lake area 40 min south of timmins is great and there are endless logging roads with some great lakes for fishing. As easy or as difficult to access we want. If anyone has kayaks, or canoes, i may be able to arrange to have them trailered.

Kevin
TrailFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #17
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
When I lived in Alberta I used to fly fish quite a bit and in some pretty remote areas. 4x4 accessible only. When I started looking for a bike to buy I found the world of dual sport riding and was lured into it with the idea I could reach my fishing holes by bike. I remember loading my bike with my fishing gear countless times, only to reach my destination.....stop for a few minutes to take in the scenery....and get back on the bike and ride.

Haven't been fishing in a long time.

I've got some pretty decent fly fishing gear if anyone's interested.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
When I lived in Alberta I used to fly fish quite a bit and in some pretty remote areas. 4x4 accessible only. When I started looking for a bike to buy I found the world of dual sport riding and was lured into it with the idea I could reach my fishing holes by bike. I remember loading my bike with my fishing gear countless times, only to reach my destination.....stop for a few minutes to take in the scenery....and get back on the bike and ride.

Haven't been fishing in a long time.

I've got some pretty decent fly fishing gear if anyone's interested.
I took up fishing as a complimentary activity to riding my GS. Seems more motivating to have a destination for the ride. Sadly, many good fishing spots near Calgary are off limits for riding to and a long hike is still required. Haven't tried fly fishing, I'm mostly just spin casting. Also finding a need for waders or a float or something so I can get out to where the fish are. Working from the shores or banks has limits.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #19
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Ed! I used to head down to the Oldman often. Used to camp down there just west of 22 when it was permitted. Used to be just ranchland, then the Gov took it over and spoiled everything. The Crowsnest was another fav. as was Highriver.... get yourself a flyrod, boots and waders and you'll never pick up another spinrod. Something about the streams and rivers and watching that trout rise to the surface and snatch that little fly floating....jeeze, maybe I'll hang on to my gear! lol
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #20
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
Fly Gear for sale

......and I was just about to ask what you had for sale? The beauty of fly fishing is you really only need a 4 piece rod in a tube, a reel, box of flies and some boots and you are good to go on any stream you may cross in the summer/fall no real need for bulky items like waders and a nice way to cool off on a hot day!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #21
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
......and I was just about to ask what you had for sale? The beauty of fly fishing is you really only need a 4 piece rod in a tube, a reel, box of flies and some boots and you are good to go on any stream you may cross in the summer/fall no real need for bulky items like waders and a nice way to cool off on a hot day!
I've got Orvis lite-weight waders. So the bulk thing wassn't an issue. And all my flies and even the reel fits nicely into my vest which also has all my other goodies. But ya gotta have the net to land the big one...or at least not over handle the fish once you get them at your feet. I always released the fish I caught....

I sure do miss those warm afternoons on the Oldman.

Kinda small, but this was one of those proposed fishing days that never saw my feet touch the stream.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #22
scmiata1990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flueger View Post
I'd suggest the Chapleau area as well. Horwood Lake Lodge on the Hardiman Bay portion of Horwood is remote and can be accessed from Gogama by fire access roads, its about 70 or so KM as the crow flies from Gogama/The Watershed.

But then there are too many places to mention in the region.

F.
I have hunted and fished this area for my entire life as both of my parents are from Timmins. I help with a trap line every fall so I have been down every back road in the area. Fished Horwood Lake and have been through Horwood Lake Lodge numerous times.

The lodge consists of small, well kept cabins and a main lodge where meals can be purchased if you dont want to cook. They have a fleet of aluminum boats with Yamaha motors for rent. Fishing is good.

There are unlimited roads in the area to ride on. My nephew rides a YZ250 and neice a CF250 everywhere up there.

You would not be disappointed.
scmiata1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #23
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
Fly gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
I've got Orvis lite-weight waders. So the bulk thing wassn't an issue. And all my flies and even the reel fits nicely into my vest which also has all my other goodies. But ya gotta have the net to land the big one...or at least not over handle the fish once you get them at your feet. I always released the fish I caught....

I sure do miss those warm afternoons on the Oldman.

Kinda small, but this was one of those proposed fishing days that never saw my feet touch the stream.
I keep the gear to a minimum, for me "the tug is the drug" and never take a fish out of the water unless its a brookie and I plan to eat it right away. If they get off its not a big deal as I am too old to get excited about a trout that I plan to release and I always fish barbless which makes it easy to not have to handle the fish
Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #24
redjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Chapleau

I almost ran out of gas after leaving Chapleau and going south. No gas stations between Chapleau and the Trans Canada ! I should have filled up in Chapleau.
redjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #25
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I almost ran out of gas after leaving Chapleau and going south. No gas stations between Chapleau and the Trans Canada ! I should have filled up in Chapleau.
There are at least two gas stations on Hwy 129 between Chapleau and Thessalon. They might not all be open in winter, but in summer I have used them often.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote