User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
apg7 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Oakland to Ashland

Hey all -- I recently took a trip from Oakland CA to Ashland OR that lasted ~1200 miles and four days. Thought I'd throw up some details and pictures. I rode my DRZ-400SM, and yes my butt is seriously sore. Link to full picture album (~100 images) is here - http://imgur.com/a/Mq5j5#0

Pre-ride selfie:

The bike:

Day 1: ~250 miles

I took off from Oakland mid morning, and took Sir Francis Drake to the Hwy-1 and pretty much just ripped up that all the way to Leggett. It's a cliche, but the 1 is such great riding when you don't catch traffic, and I didn't. Last 20 miles or so into Leggett was just unreal carving through the Redwoods. Great way to end the first day where I camped at Standish Hickey SRA. Awesome little restaurant across the street as well where I smashed a tri-tip sando for dinner.

Point Area Lighthouse:
Redwoods by Leggett:
Campsite:
Sunset:
apg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
apg7 OP
Adventurer

Day 2: ~320 miles

I messed around in the Redwoods a bit before getting all the way out of town on the 101, until I got off on Petrolia Road, which was superb riding, tons of twisties, climbs, and drops through the redwoods, and then through desert scrub type mountains until the town of Petrolia where I gassed up and headed out to Mattole Road which took me to Point Mendocino which had the most amazing 15-20 miles of pavement switchbacking up the coastal hills, and then down the backside into Ferndale CA. From there I blasted the 101 to the 199 to the 99 into Ashland. The 199 was a great road up until about 20 miles into Oregon at which point it turned less awesome, but still really good. I crashed on a friend's couch in Ashland and showered.

Redwoods:
Petrolia Road:
Pt. Mendocino:
Pt. Mendocino:
Oregon on 199:
Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
apg7 OP
Adventurer

Day 3: ~250 miles

This day was the best of all four days. With the large amount of forest fire activity going on in the area, my orignal plan to ride through the Klamath forest was nixed by Cal Fire's road closures, so I pretty much improvised and am really glad with how it worked out. I think the pictures with the burned out skies are pretty awesome. By the map this was only 200 miles, but a missed exit or two and gas station searching brought up the distance.

The first part of this day was just ripping down the 5 to Yreka, where I decided to be brave and take some offroad sections a bit down the road. I'm on Pilot Road 4's here, and my dirt experience is limited to about 30 minutes lifetime, so this was a bigger deal for me than I assume almost all of you. I took CA-3, and then exited to Scarface Road, a car width dirt and rock trail with no one around for many many miles. Sheer cliffs on one side, and rock face on the other.

Start of Scarface:
Scarface:
Scarface Selfie:
Bottom of Scarface

From there, I took Gazelle-Callahan to Callahan, a very very tiny town pretty much at the intersection of that road with CA-3. Grabbed some more water, and then took CA-3 south to Trinity Place.

Callahan:
All of Callahan:
CA-3:
CA-3:

From Trinity, I rode to Whiskeytown, tried to camp there, but was booted by the Park Rangers for not having a reservation (did not know you needed one at the primitive camp sites...whoops), and then kept riding until Redding, where I stayed for the night.

Whiskeytown:
Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
apg7 OP
Adventurer

Day 4: ~400 miles

Leaving Redding, I took A-16/Platina Road to Platina, another tiny tiny town out in the middle of nowhere. A-16 was an INCREDIBLE road, although the risks of going wide and the very blind turns made me keep the pace pretty pedestrian.

Platina Road:
Platina Road:
Platina:

I then took CA-36 to the 101. CA-36 was one of those roads you could just rail corners with good pavement, clean lines, and awesome views. Probably did my best technical riding on this stuff. I will add that the sections heading out of Dinsmore are super super tight and with no dividing line are pretty scary if you don't want to take a truck in the face coming around a corner. I let a car pass me and used it as a shield for a few miles.

CA-36:
CA-36:

I took the 101 the rest of the way home due to a suddenly urgent work issue, which completely destroyed my butt, but got me home quickly. Had a nice lunch in Garberville and met two guys who were clearly pretty experienced riders who gave me some suggestions on roads to take next time I'm in the area.

Lunch Guy's Bikes:

This whole trip was incredible for a variety of reasons, and I'll definitely be doing another adventure soon. I'll likely be throwing on some knobbies and crash protection and doing some more (easy) off-road stuff.

Gear:

Jacket: Icon Patrol
Pants: Scott Dual Raid TP Pants (+ Sas Tech hips)
Armor: Alpinestars Race Back Protector
Gloves: Alptinestars SP2, Icon Patrol
Boots: Moose Racing M2
Helmet: Speed & Strength SS2500 Hell N' Back High Viz
Goggles: Thor Enemy Splatter
Bags: Kriega US20, Kriega R25

apg7 screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 04:44 PM
Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
That is great area to ride.
I did some of your day one route and day 4 route last year with a group.
Fabulous rodes and even better mid week with little car traffic. I think we saw more CHP's that other vehicles
Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,585
Tell me about the Petrolia and Point Mendocino area: are those roads all paved? I'm sport touring down that way in a couple of weeks.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 AM   #7
yumerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
ReAlly nice. You went thorough one of my favorite areas in Nor Cal - the 3/36/299/96. Those roads are so much fun, and I never got stuck in traffic the times I was there.
yumerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
apg7 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw View Post
Tell me about the Petrolia and Point Mendocino area: are those roads all paved? I'm sport touring down that way in a couple of weeks.
They're definitely paved, just there are lots of potholes, bumps, and crumbly parts. Very tight sections as well.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
madmax237
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hey, looks like a great ride! I'm a somewhat new adventure rider also, based out of SF, and i'm looking for more people to ride with if you're ever interested in planning a ride!
madmax237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
apg7 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax237 View Post
Hey, looks like a great ride! I'm a somewhat new adventure rider also, based out of SF, and i'm looking for more people to ride with if you're ever interested in planning a ride!
Will do. I'm likely limited to 24-36hr rides for the next couple months, but I am trying to plan a longer one (headed South) to the Los Padres forest area for December if you're interested.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by apg7 View Post
Day 4: ~400 miles

Hey apg7,

Nice ride ... love the maps!

Thanks for posting a ride report,
will look forward to your Los Padres trip!
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
fchavez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax237 View Post
I would like to meet up and ride as well. I have been looking for people to do some adventure riding with as well. Most of the time I do day trips and try to mix it up with road and dirt. I live in Richmond close to Pinole but I'm willing to go anywhere. PM me or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg7 View Post
Will do. I'm likely limited to 24-36hr rides for the next couple months, but I am trying to plan a longer one (headed South) to the Los Padres forest area for December if you're interested.
Hey! great posting of your ride. I have done that ride before along the coast and the scenery is just breathtaking. My favorite ride was the one you took from Redding to the Coast! If you enter that road CA-36 from Red Bluff there is a sign that says "winding road next 136mi" I'm sure you remember how crazy some of those turns are. They get really fun once you get the hand of it. I got into Brookings,OR around 10PM and at night those roads are DARK. Fortunately i have some BAJA lights on my GS which helps with the visibility. The fog was also relentless you can only see 100ft in front of you. Just like madmax237 said if your ever interested in doing a ride let me know.
Attached Images

fchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
fchavez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Just one other pic with my fiancé. This was in the Shasta area.
Attached Images

fchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
leftfield123
leftfield123

Oddometer: 35
Thanks

I spent years living in Mt. Shasta and it was nice to see pictures of the area. Go back when you have time. There are so many great roads in the area that you'll need a few days to even ride a portion of them. Oh, and don't worry about your butt. At your age it'll heal, so keep piling on the miles.
leftfield123 is offline   Reply With Quote