Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #31
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 228
Thanks for the comments RatPatrol! As far as water I can set up a solar still or desalinize some seawater if necessary. Even get some sea salt in the deal. I'm not a crowds person either, which is why I head for the hills every chance I get. I'll be heading to the Wallowa jamboree in June and planning a Death Valley and Grand Canyon trip too. Once I get my engine guards on you'll be getting more dirt out of this report. Don't forget the random day trips. Anything to keep you guys from cabin fever, I know how it feels.
Searching for Sanity: Newest Chapter- Sequoia National Park
AKMotorbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #32
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

6000 miles!

Yesterday I hit the 6000 mile mark. In honor of that I'll say that I love this bike more each day and here are some pictures of my Anakee 3 tires so far (original set).

Front tire

Rear tire

Comments welcome as I've never dealt with motorcycle tires before. I'm guessing halfway worn? A few people that have seen them appeared impressed with the wear.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #33
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Storm Warning!

Try not to laugh too hard, this is Southern California. So, we have a wind, surf, coastal flooding, and flash flood warning. I miss the days when it just snowed or rained, nothing special or over dramatic. Anyway, a change in weather! Sunny all the time is soooooo boring (I know everyone outside of California is cursing me for this statement). Ride to work or drive? Sorry that's not a real question.

The first downed tree of the day.

A blustery day!

This guy raised the bar for Harley/ cruiser riders everywhere.

This guy getting his run on.

Every street is a river.

The rain just runs along the ground without absorbing into the dirt.

I like this one because the raindrops are suspended in mid air.

A little wind.

Here is an unusual picture. The pacific when it's not blue, sunny, or pleasant.

In weather like this you really need to watch out for sink holes...

And landslides...

I joke but, some peoples lives and property are in danger, I hope no one gets hurt but, when you build your house on the side of a cliff, on ground like this, you have to expect that it might not want to stay put.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #34
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Monday 3 March 2014

Today I had to ride down to San Diego. I decided to leave early and enjoy my ride then check out Balboa Park if I had time. I ended up with an hour to look around.

The main reason for today's stop was to get some pictures of this building. I love the contrast to the surrounding community. You could spend two days walking around this park and visiting the museums. Throw on another day to see the San Diego Zoo next door.

This is a view of the arch into the courtyard from the inside of the park.

Here is the archway entering the park from the bridge (which is undergoing restoration until the summer). The figure to the left represents the Pacific Ocean and the figure on the right represents the Atlantic Ocean with the road entering the park representing the Panama Canal.

The bridge in question.

The building from inside the courtyard. This houses the museum of man. A fantastic display inside on Mayans, Egyptian Mummy's, an area for children with dress up clothes and toys, which my kids loved last time they came.

These two subject will require me to return and investigate when I have more time.

Another angle...

And the back side...

And last one of this building...

AKMotorbiker screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 03:44 PM
Old 03-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #35
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Then there was this guy down the street.

Another arch...

That's all the time I had today. Like I said, you could spend a few days in the museums, botanical gardens, and walking around. Five of the museums were closed at the time so, maybe one day in that case.

Here are a few sunset pictures to wash away those rainy images from earlier.

Proof that a bike was involved.

Hang in there, spring is on the way!

AKMotorbiker screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 04:02 PM
Old 03-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #36
RatPatrol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wow, beautiful sunset! Thanks AK.
In a few weeks I will get a 5 day reprieve from our gorgeous Oregon sunfest, yes I'm kidding about the sunfest. I get to fly into beautiful downtown Ontario, CA for 3 days of business meetings and then 2 days of required relative visits in Buena Park and Redondo Beach. By then I will be ready to click my heels three times and come home. Hoping to hear from Spring pretty soon. Getting anxious to wake the bikes up from hibernation and get going.
RatPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #37
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Thanks again for the comments. I try to keep in mind not everyone gets to see the sun setting on the ocean and not to take normal things for granted. All the snow bound inmates also reminded me that when I go back to Alaska my year round riding will be no more. Unless it's four wheelers and sleds. With that being said I'm taking advantage of my time here.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #38
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMotorbiker View Post
Try not to laugh too hard, this is Southern California. So, we have a wind, surf, coastal flooding, and flash flood warning.
The first downed tree of the day.

A blustery day!

Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #39
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post

I thought of this exact picture after I posted mine. Another came to mind also. A cup of ice knocked over with, schools closed in (insert city/state). We crack ourselves up!
Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #40
nadredrum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
For cold hands I use a set of waterproof windproof riding gloves, I can go as low as 10* with them the stock hand guards and heated grips. If you need more and don't want the balk try some heated glove liners. I have to say I love my 2014 more every time I get to ride it, but it has been a long cold and icy winter. Great picks and keep the riding up for us poor sole stuck inside.
nadredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #41
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadredrum View Post
For cold hands I use a set of waterproof windproof riding gloves, I can go as low as 10* with them the stock hand guards and heated grips. If you need more and don't want the balk try some heated glove liners. I have to say I love my 2014 more every time I get to ride it, but it has been a long cold and icy winter. Great picks and keep the riding up for us poor sole stuck inside.
Good info to know. I'm trying to stay away from anything with electric for now, no promises. The gloves sound good and hippo hand style gauntlets work well on the snow machines, although I'm a little hesitant to put those on a bike for some reason. Fortunately winter here is basically over, if you want to even say it was here. The one time I needed more warmth I threw on my mountain hardware gloves and it was bulky, but warm. I trust you feel the same about your bike as I do about mine. I have some multi day trips planned this year I will be testing the limits of my gear and going through some tires and (hopefully not) repair items.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #42
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Altrider crash bars ordered!!! I can't wait to get back in the dirt with a little protection this time!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #43
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Finally!!

I received my Altrider engine guards today! I was expecting a longer wait and was shocked to see them today. I tore open the box, did a quick inventory, assembled the tools and mounted them straight off.

These should prevent some of the scratches and dings I picked up on my first off road adventure.

Now I need to hit some dirt again!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #44
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

I feel like I'm in a prison!

I feel like I'm in a prison! A prison unlike the conventional one you might think of when one says prison. Mine is more like "Hogan's Heroes". This is a reference to a TV show where a group of American Soldier's spent the war in a German POW camp during World War II. They were there for a purpose and operated from there to accomplish their true mission. I compare my life in the same way. My prison is my job. I like my job and it provides me the means to accomplish my true mission. My escapes from this prison are adventures where I ride, hike, bike, and camp to fulfill what I truly need in this life, freedom. None of the daily things that pass day to day matter one bit. It's the breaks from daily life that matter. Getting off on a trail to a mountain lake or river, a meadow, a desert, a prairie, seeing nature and not hearing the wail of sirens, car alarms echoing off buildings and ambient noise cluttering my mind and fighting to overwhelm my senses. There are two places where I'm at peace. One is on my bike, the other is in the middle of nowhere.

I plan escapes and take them every chance I get. For the first time in my adult life I can plan things out years in advance if I want to now. Next up is a trip to Death Valley NP. Now that I can plan things instead of spur of the moment trips, such as I have three days off lets go!, I have an infinite list with finite time. How do I prioritize what to do and where to go? It doesn't really matter as long as I go somewhere and do something.

Now my next problem is, why do I feel rushed? It goes against what I'm trying to do, which is to slow down and enjoy life. Yet, I'm constantly planning as if time is running out. "I need to do this, see this, experience this!" I want to go to a rally and ride with people like me, I want to ride on back country discovery routes, hit the farthest points, the great divide trail, the TAT, ride in Russia. They're just items on a checklist. The truth is I just want to be away and isolated where I can turn of my engine and hear nothing of man. This is the sanity I'm searching for and my days are filled with thoughts and plans of the next escape.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #45
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Went on a milk run and got this pic.