Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #76
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 237
I've been away for work with no riding and no internet. Life's been hard but, here's a short portion to get started.

Originally I had planned a ten day adventure around the Grand Canyon and a trip to the Wallowa Valley Adventure Jamboree but, work decided to get in the way. Plan B was a trip to Sequoia National Park on 4th of July weekend. I had wanted to take off on the second after work to beat the weekend crowds. We were going to make our rounds of Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP then get out before the crowds showed up.

I got out of work late and it was 7:30 PM before we were ready to go. I decided to wake up and leave in the morning instead of hunting for a camping spot at 11:00 pm. It didn't turn out too bad. We took off around 9:00am and headed for the parks taking the I-5 North and entering the parks at Three Rivers. Temperatures around the foothills were around 105*F.

We showed up at the park around 2pm. Traveling with the support crew adds up to a few stops for lunch, restrooms, stretching the legs. We stopped and filled up on gas in Three Rivers then started up into the mountains. We stopped for some photos at the sign, then wound our way up and up and up. After making our way to Lodgepole we found a camping spot and pitched the tents. We ended the day going to see the Sherman Tree and planning for day two around the camp fire.
Searching for Sanity: Newest Chapter- Sequoia National Park
AKMotorbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #77
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

I'm back!

I'm back after running around the South West, burning the candles at both ends. I started my bike after a month of wasting away in the garage and instant joy returned! A few days ago I received my Sena SMH-10R in the mail and I managed to wash the dirt from Sequoia off my bike today. I will be working to get the last trip completed as well as a quick review of the Sena after using it this week.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #78
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Time to get started...again. I already covered the night before and the departure last month. I love maps, I need them. I couldn't find a map that I could work with. Either they had the terrain and not the roads/trails or vise versa or they only had a portion of what I needed which would of caused me to buy six different maps. So, I printed some maps and jigsaw puzzled them up on the wall. I also made use of Google Earth and some map apps to plan.

Sequoia planning

These are the printed version of the motor vehicle use maps. When I got to the park they didn't have any available.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #79
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

We arrived at the park in the afternoon on the third. There was a rider in front of me from Great Brittian (I'm pretty sure). I saw her a few times later in the day at the same campground and at the Sherman Tree. We started up the mountain of twisting road towards elevation, cool breezes, and Sequoia trees! The worst parts were the slow moving traffic but, it wasn't too bad for a Thursday.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #80
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,890
How do you get that blue line around your photos ?
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #81
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

We passed by several campgrounds that were already filled,

a rock tunnel

the turn off to Crystal Cave

Giant Forest

the Museum

a black bear, the Sherman Tree, and finally we found a spot to camp at Lodgepole.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #82
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
How do you get that blue line around your photos ?
Gas Guy, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you see a blue border around my pictures or are you talking about my route pictures with the color lines to show my routes? If you see blue borders, I don't see them and do not know why they are there.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #83
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMotorbiker View Post
Gas Guy, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you see a blue border around my pictures or are you talking about my route pictures with the color lines to show my routes? If you see blue borders, I don't see them and do not know why they are there.
Every one of your photos has a thin blue line framing the picture.
Maybe only other viewers see it or certain computers,I dont know,but once in a great while i see this on someones posts.
It actually looks pretty good.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #84
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Once we found a spot, we pitched the tents, then headed over to see the Sherman Tree.

Stephanie's IPhone 2988

The parking area was above the tree and there was a very nice walkway down the hill with benches along the way to rest, reflect, or both.

(A constant battle to get a picture with everyone looking)

(Trying to keep everyone on the path)

There was also a shuttle drop off/ pick up at the bottom adjacent to th main road. This was substantially closer to the tree whereas the walk down the hill was 3/4 of a mile I believe.

(Pine cones abound)

The General Sherman

A walk through of a dead fall sequoia (the shuttle and main road are about 50m behind this tree)

The same deadfall tree.

Someone could stand in this black section of the tree.

My wife brought the kids here four years ago, while I was working, and to hear her tell it the hike was a scramble up and down clawing your way, dodging death. She was carrying one on her back and holding another in her arms most of the way though.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #85
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

It was wonderful being up in the mountains again! The sequoias were immense and beautiful. Not to mention the mountain air. The contrast of these giant trees to everything around them is amazing and makes you feel miniature standing there among them, a true national treasure.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #86
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

The bears!

On the way back up we were getting reports of bears along the trail. No problem. This isn't my first encounter with bears, we are from Alaska after all.

We did reign the kids in closer. About halfway up the hill the bears appeared. A sow with two cubs were meandering down the hillside.

This was one of the most bizarre encounters I had seen. I kept our distance but, not many people did. These bears were completely desensitized to humans.

The mom was tagged and they continued along their way oblivious to all the crowds. Most other places someone would have been mauled. I took the kids up the trail some more and my wife got a safe distance with the big camera to take a few shots.

My mind was drifting to pepper sticks, sausage, and burger while she was getting the pictures. After the bears continued down the hill we continued up to the parking lot and back to camp.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #87
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Back at camp we had to plan day two. I had hoped to leave the previous evening and start the day early. Since that didn't happen according to the original plan we had to adjust. The only scheduled event was to visit Crystal Cave.

The planning circle

The planning food

The ticket sales were same day only and began at 8 am. The tours began at 10 am. I arrived at the Lodgepole visitor center at about 7:15. Originally I was told they start selling the tickets just after opening, so I had a few minutes to spare. I bought tickets for the 10:30 tour. I'm sure you ็an realize that this tour now ate up a significant portion of the day. We had the same issue with ""Scotty's Castle" on our Death Valley trip and we opted to skip that tour in order to see the "Racetrack". After getting the tickets I rode back to the campground (adjacent to the visitor center). We had to get packed up and drive the estimated 1.5 hrs to the cave parking lot.

The turn off was seven miles from the visitor center.

Once we turned off on the road to the cave it was fun time! That was a great road to ride. The sign said 45 minutes, but it wasn't that long since there wasn't a line of cars yet.

We were there in time to see the 10:00 group head down the trail. 30 minutes later it was our turn.

You had to get briefed two times going into the cave. Once when you buy the tickets and again at the trailhead.

The trail down was paved, but broken up with missing chunks and roots traveling under the walkway pushing up and contorting the asphalt.