Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Oddometer: 829
To Super Tenere...Orrr NOT to Super Tenere...

Howdy, I am in the market for a new adventure bike. I've owned an R1200GS Adventure and a newer Multistrada. I do a lot of long distance riding and ride through the winter here in New England, so wind and weather protection (and protection from noise/buffeting) are important to me. The Multistrada is an amazing bike in many ways, but its too sensitive/expensive for much off pavement work and riding in salty/sandy roads for my tastes. Its also loud as hell from a wind noise standpoint.

I have the chance to buy a leftover Yamaha Super Tenere from 2012...yes 2012. Their asking price is $12,800 or so. Retail blue book for this vintage is $11k and change...and assumes 2800 miles I'm drawn to this bike in part because of the price (do you think it should be even less?) and also because of their reputation of being drama free. I'm just worried I will be bored or underwhelmed by its performance. I did test ride one for a short 15 min about 2 years ago...felt nice, but not mind blowing. The new 2014 BMW GS Adventure is amazing both performance and looks-wise. But is it that much more so to justify the $10K price difference? I can afford the BMW, but do I "need" it? These are the questions I wrestle with.

Many say to "buy what moves your heart". I dunno. I'm not sure what I'm asking you guys in this post...maybe just thoughts and opinions to help move me in one direction or another.

Also, how many miles are you getting out of a tank of gas? That's another annoyance for me with the Multi....I'm only getting 170-180 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post
Howdy, I am in the market for a new adventure bike. I've owned an R1200GS Adventure and a newer Multistrada. I do a lot of long distance riding and ride through the winter here in New England, so wind and weather protection (and protection from noise/buffeting) are important to me. The Multistrada is an amazing bike in many ways, but its too sensitive/expensive for much off pavement work and riding in salty/sandy roads for my tastes. Its also loud as hell from a wind noise standpoint.

I have the chance to buy a leftover Yamaha Super Tenere from 2012...yes 2012. Their asking price is $12,800 or so. Retail blue book for this vintage is $11k and change...and assumes 2800 miles I'm drawn to this bike in part because of the price (do you think it should be even less?) and also because of their reputation of being drama free. I'm just worried I will be bored or underwhelmed by its performance. I did test ride one for a short 15 min about 2 years ago...felt nice, but not mind blowing. The new 2014 BMW GS Adventure is amazing both performance and looks-wise. But is it that much more so to justify the $10K price difference? I can afford the BMW, but do I "need" it? These are the questions I wrestle with.

Many say to "buy what moves your heart". I dunno. I'm not sure what I'm asking you guys in this post...maybe just thoughts and opinions to help move me in one direction or another.

Also, how many miles are you getting out of a tank of gas? That's another annoyance for me with the Multi....I'm only getting 170-180 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

Lots of owner love their Super Teneres but I found it too boring -- too look at and ride. So, for me, that price would need to be a lot lower...like free. And, as your suspect, there isn't really justification for the GS to be so much more more $$ but my local Yamaha shop has 1-2 left over STs and it seems as though left over GSs are a rare occurrence...
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,942
Quote:

Amazing? No. Stunning? No. Competent, great long distance traveller, competent on the dirt as well. Drama free? Absolutely. Ride, add gas, repeat. 26k mile valve adjust a plus. Competent out of the box suspension. For the 10k difference you can fix anything that bothers you and still have a lot left over. BTDT with the BMW's. 1150GSA and a 1200GSA. Great bikes but too many issues for my taste. For ME, the Tenere' is much more stable, planted and confidence inspiring on a dirt road. Amazing ABS that works great in the dirt. Never needed to turn it off. Don't do single track on big dualies so can't address that. For me, the power is more than adequate though many swear by a reflash of the ECU. About $300 IIRC. I get between 200/220 out of a tank. Depends on load and conditions. I always carry a ton of crap along with my fat ass... YMMV....
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,879
This may help....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...tenere+threads

The somewhat boring nature of the Tenere is an easy fix with an ECU reflash.

The 'non drama' aspect of it is the best part and should be left alone.

Owner rating,

Owner dislikes,

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Ah love this site....thanks for the responses so far, guys.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
. Depends on load and conditions. I always carry a ton of crap along with my fat ass... YMMV....
"Yes your Honor, the defense does have photo evidence we would like to submit as exhibit A."

Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Holy smokes.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
ADKMAC
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Super Tenere

I would think that owning a Super Tenere after owning the Mutistrada you would get bored. You seem to want a lot out of one bike and I don't see the Yamaha doing it for you. The new adventure BMW and the Stelvio have the biggest gas tanks but you might not want to flog them in sand/dirt. I think you need to build a big garage and buy a few bikes. One bike will not fill all your needs.
Enjoy!

Mac
ADKMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:

Holy smokes.
That's just a start. Forum members Ray and Karen just finished a North and South America
tour doubled up on their Tenere out of England. 45,000 miles and hasn't even adjusted the
valves! Did have to replace the rear wheel bearings I assume due to a constant load far
over the bikes load rating. Did have the rear rim crack at the spoke mount do to over tightening
after market stainless steel spokes. After returning to the stock spokes and settings no further problem.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
The Tenere is a great bike. I bought mine about one month ago from new old stock at the local dealer, (2012 model with zero miles on the odo.) I only have 1800 miles on it so far due to the snow and ice, but it is becoming a favorite. I've been riding for over 40 yrs, and am convinced that we are living in the golden age of motorcycling. The handling and performance of modern bikes is far better than what came before. I have enjoyed every bike that I've had, and have not ever been bored on one. If I ever am bored with a 100 hp bike that handles great, and makes me regret the end of the riding day, I'll be ready to give up riding. I've had faster bikes, but none that I have enjoyed more. The track record for reliability of a bike is a major factor for me. I like to ride far and prefer riding to working on my bike. YMMV.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
my local Yamaha shop has 1-2 left over STs and it seems as though left over GSs are a rare occurrence...
This is an interesting observation that can't be overlooked, but riding the new GS and the ST on the same day will likely be the only way to see which one suits you the best.

$12,800 seems high for left over ST though. I'm sure the dealers with two year old stock would be very open to lower offers.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
This is an interesting observation that can't be overlooked, but riding the new GS and the ST on the same day will likely be the only way to see which one suits you the best.

$12,800 seems high for left over ST though. I'm sure the dealers with two year old stock would be very open to lower offers.
Ya, no doubt the ST is a great bike. If it 'speaks to you', buy it!

I had a gen 1 Multi for six years. Kind of odd looking... But was super reliable for me and I rode it from Mexico to Canada three times... It spoke to me but not the right bike for a lot of people...
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #13
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Seems high priced. Dealers are selling new 2013 Teneres here for $12999. If you're not in a rush, the new 2014 Tenere might be coming to the USA this spring with upgrades that may appeal to you. I would ride the new GSAW as well before making a decision.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Drama

If boring equals riding instead of working or wrenching; I'll skip the drama of working on a bike so I can take a boring ride. I'm a rider not a mechanic. Most of my Yamaha's have been drama free. But the price is still better than all the drama that comes with fuel pumps, shocks, final drive issues, and rims.
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I just bought a new 2013 for $12,990.......

And the dealership has more at that price.

I'll weight in here....I had narrowed my search down to the Tenere and the Guzzi Stelvio NXT.

After riding them back to back I choose the Tenere. Yes, the Guzzi is BEAUTIFUL, and has real personality, but it failed to give me the warm fuzzy "I'm good for 100.000 miles" kind of feeling. I'm coming off a 72.000+ mile KLR, I expect longevity and durability.

My $0.02 worth.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote