Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I think the designers of the S10 had in mind that at a certain point the adventure itself becomes the source of excitement with the bike receding into the background as an unsung piece of solid kit, particularly when heavily laden on a long tour.
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #17
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by de Vaca View Post
The Tenere is a great bike. I bought mine about one month ago from new old stock at the local dealer, (2012 model with zero miles on the odo.)
Do you mind sharing what you paid? Thanks!
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post

Many say to "buy what moves your heart". I dunno. I'm not sure what I'm asking you guys in this post...maybe just thoughts and opinions to help move me in one direction or another.

I've never really quite understood this statement. How could Kawasaki have ever sold a KLR?

Sounds like it's not your first rodeo and you have had a chance to own enough to know
what really works for you.

To me it's a matter of deciding what I'm really going to use the bike for and what do I expect
of it? I think most can afford more if needed or will do what's needed to buy it.

Piece of mind has become a large factor in what I buy anymore. I want to trust the bike.

Sure a nympho coke whore sounds fun for a day, but in reality I want to come home to
a clean house, the laundry done, dinner on the table and a woman who loves me.
Day after day.

I've never owned a bike I couldn't sell if I didn't like it. A Honda RC51 was about the only one
I can remember regretting buying. 6 months later that regret was gone.

How could you go wrong with either bike? One will leave you with a lot of travel money in your
pocket be just as capable as the other and have the best proven track record for dependability.
Gee, tough choice.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I've never really quite understood this statement. How could Kawasaki have ever sold a KLR?
The statement isn't meant to claim that everyone only buys based on "what moves their heart"...its simply what some people say is a good way to decide which bike to buy.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #20
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Find the bike not boring, love it on dirt roads, get 250 - 280 miles from a tank.

Got a R1 & a Suzuki B-King and hardly ridden them since I got the ST last May boring I do not think so.

Only 2 major niggles for me (might not be an issue for you at all) the screen which i fixed and handlebar vibes which I just try to learn to live with and not really noticeable on bad roads.
Great bike!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #21
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
The statement isn't meant to claim that everyone only buys based on "what moves their heart"...its simply what some people say is a good way to decide which bike to buy.

Yeah, I know. The same with "Moves your soul". Like someone is going to get a life altering
experience riding it or something.

It's pretty simple.

Sport bikes should scare the shit out of you with their performance.
Dirt bikes should have great suspension.
Trail bikes should have nice tractable mid range power.
Touring bikes should feel like a convertible car.
Large D/S bikes should have comfortable ergos and give you 'Horizon Fever'.

Of course I generalize.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #22
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_mgb View Post
i think the designers of the s10 had in mind that at a certain point the adventure itself becomes the source of excitement with the bike receding into the background as an unsung piece of solid kit, particularly when heavily laden on a long tour.
Exactly!!

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 02:39 PM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #23
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Do you mind sharing what you paid? Thanks!
Dealer was selling his last two 2012's for $11,500 and his 2013's for $13,000. OTD price.
de Vaca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #24
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Stole my 2013 for 12,500. OTD with 5 year YES. Flashed ECU, power not thrilling but, solid and super usable. 6500 miles so far and only issue is that it is past due for third rear tire! Bang for Buck factor real high on this bike!!
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #25
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
You mention that the Multistrada has poor, noisy wind protection. I tested a Super Tenere and can't imagine how anything could be worse (the FJR that I rode the same day was almost as bad, though).

Of course wind noise is a very personal thing.
MacNoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #26
Crazy Legs
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 68
I know I'm late for the party but I read in many posts about "ECU Flash". Is there someone that can explain what it is and why you would need it? Is it done by the dealer? Is it a adjustment that is missed in production?
I would like to understand more please.
Thank you in advance.
Crazy Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #27
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Legs View Post
I know I'm late for the party but I read in many posts about "ECU Flash". Is there someone that can explain what it is and why you would need it? Is it done by the dealer? Is it a adjustment that is missed in production?
I would like to understand more please.
Thank you in advance.
It's reprogramming the ECU. The factory setting neuters the first three gears and there is
some FI fueling issues of low speed hiccups and some flat spots on acceleration. The reflash
gives a very impressive performance improvement. Gives more definition between the T mode
and S mode. Dyno shows a horsepower increase and the seat of the pants dyno is very noticeable.

To me it was well worth the cost and in my opinion the first change I would do.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #28
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
It's reprogramming the ECU. The factory setting neuters the first three gears and there is
some FI fueling issues of low speed hiccups and some flat spots on acceleration. The reflash
gives a very impressive performance improvement. Gives more definition between the T mode
and S mode. Dyno shows a horsepower increase and the seat of the pants dyno is very noticeable.

To me it was well worth the cost and in my opinion the first change I would do.
Here in Canada, Where or who can do that modification? Please help!! I'm not complain about HP but if I can get a little bit more...why not!! Thank you!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #29
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,962
Quote:
"Yes your Honor, the defense does have photo evidence we would like to submit as exhibit A."

What kinda asshole would load their bike like that.....

Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #30
polishadam82
black sheep

Oddometer: 106
dude get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't even think bout it twice it's a almost zero maintenance bike just change oil put gas and ride it there is few guys on super T forum with over 100k on them and not a single problem and as you know when Yama builds something they build it right the first time