Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #31
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsavard View Post
Here in Canada, Where or who can do that modification? Please help!! I'm not complain about HP but if I can get a little bit more...why not!! Thank you!
I'm not affiliated with AF-1. They are who I used and they came very highly recommended
and I can see why. First class group to work with. You might want to contact them first.
Each ECU reflash is separate and they will need your bike serial # as well as the ECU
serial number. Several threads on ECU removal. It's easy except for the the hidden allen
bolt on the fork side of the fairing.

Honestly it really wakes the bike up and makes it the Beast it was born to be.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/contactUs.asp
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #32
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,973
So......Pluric.......

How do you feel about the ECU reflash?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #33
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
So......Pluric.......

How do you feel about the ECU reflash?

I've always been the poster child for the reflash. That's no secret.
Why wonder what's behind door #3 when we already know?

Aren't you suppose to trying to out one more bag on your bike or something???
Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #34
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I've never really quite understood this statement. How could Kawasaki have ever sold a KLR?

Sounds like it's not your first rodeo and you have had a chance to own enough to know
what really works for you.

To me it's a matter of deciding what I'm really going to use the bike for and what do I expect
of it? I think most can afford more if needed or will do what's needed to buy it.

Piece of mind has become a large factor in what I buy anymore. I want to trust the bike.

How could you go wrong with either bike? One will leave you with a lot of travel money in your
pocket be just as capable as the other and have the best proven track record for dependability.
Gee, tough choice.
KLR - for the same reason Toyota is the largest auto manufacturer in the world (I think that's still true).

It's about priorities. What seems obviously important to you may not apply to me or the OP. Doesn't means one or the other is right or wrong - just different.

Oh ya, there is no chance in hell I'll ever own a Toyota...
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #35
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
KLR - for the same reason Toyota is the largest auto manufacturer in the world (I think that's still true).

It's about priorities. What seems obviously important to you may not apply to me or the OP. Doesn't means one or the other is right or wrong - just different.

Oh ya, there is no chance in hell I'll ever own a Toyota...
I do have a KLR. It certainly doesn't "Move my soul".
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #36
BaldKnob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
36,000 miles on my S10

...and still lovin' it! I would try to talk them out of another $1000.00 for that '12 but what do I know?

The questions you should ask yourself are, 'How much offroading do I really plan on doing?' and 'How committed to my screen name am I?'
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #37
k woo
308Master

Oddometer: 83
41,000 trouble free miles on my S10. Two cross country and back trips, some sand and gravel. I bought a bike to ride, not work on. I'll take boring reliability, low cost and low maintenance any day.
k woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #38
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
I own 2 GS's and a Super Ten...my BMW's are older {'86 and '96} but I have ridden many newer GS models and GSA's. My riding buddy ride a newer GSA and we trade a lot.

I have not ridden the new WC so I can not speak to that particular model, but, a horse is a horse is a horse of course...

The Ten may not be every ones cup of tea and I must admit that I bought even without riding it before just on its reputation because I am sick of BMW repairs and the associated cost with that....
When I rode the Ten home I was a bit disappointed, it seemed lethargic, large and docile, until I put a few break in miles and started pushing it...the harder I pushed it the more I liked it.

After 2 months and a couple thousand miles it has done nothing but impress me more and more and does so with NO fear of failure....even if I have a failure I got the full Y.E.S. warranty for 5 years of worry free unlimited mileage...all for $13,300 OTD.....not + tax and yada yada....out the door...best money ever spent. I think I have spent half that on BMW hard parts over 3 years.

Buy whatever you want and what twist your nipples...but the TEN is not boring or Vanilla....if anyone thinks it is, they are not riding it hard enough.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #39
Old Broken Marine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Its time to give it a try!

Picking up mine Fri or Sat. Its a 2012 with bags and a Sales Managers bike with a little over 3K. Trading my Wee and not looking back.
12 Super Tenere (Raven)
Old Broken Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #40
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,973
Quote:

Aren't you suppose to trying to out one more bag on your bike or something???
....as long as they're yellow....and BIG....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
I own 2 GS's and a Super Ten...my BMW's are older {'86 and '96} but I have ridden many newer GS models and GSA's. My riding buddy ride a newer GSA and we trade a lot.

The Ten may not be every ones cup of tea and I must admit that I bought even without riding it before just on its reputation because I am sick of BMW repairs and the associated cost with that....
When I rode the Ten home I was a bit disappointed, it seemed lethargic, large and docile, until I put a few break in miles and started pushing it...the harder I pushed it the more I liked it.

After 2 months and a couple thousand miles it has done nothing but impress me more and more and does so with NO fear of failure....even if I have a failure I got the full Y.E.S. warranty for 5 years of worry free unlimited mileage...all for $13,300 OTD.....not + tax and yada yada....out the door...best money ever spent. I think I have spent half that on BMW hard parts over 3 years.

Buy whatever you want and what twist your nipples...but the TEN is not boring or Vanilla....if anyone thinks it is, they are not riding it hard enough.
This was/is my experience as well....sort of underwhelming to begin with but slowly growing on me with how amazingly all around competent the thing is.....without the antecedent drama that comes with its Teutonic (translation- unreliable and expensive) rival...

But that's just me....
Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 AM   #41
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
What kinda asshole would load their bike like that.....

Errrrr You and me apparently...!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:33 AM   #42
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
That's just a start. Forum members Ray and Karen just finished a North and South America
tour doubled up on their Tenere out of England. 45,000 miles and hasn't even adjusted the
valves! ..........
Valves ?

Valves, where/what are they ?

Is this something else I have to do ?

Help..... Help.....

As if wheel bearings and headlight bulbs are not enough...... Bloody useless bikes....
Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 AM   #43
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,877
DO NOT BUY AN SUPER TENERE!!!

You were made for BMW's, you need the "good feelings" that the badge penalty gives you. You have to have something to defend, and a BMW is great for that. People will walk by and oh and ahh and you can lean back in your smugnesity (new word) and know you are the master of your domain. 10k is pocket change to you, you simply cannot adventure tour without a proper 20k plus motorcycle with the most prestigious badge ever made...

Enough mean spirted sarcasm…

My best BMW's were made by Aprilia and after being bent over and forced to be a beta tester for my 2000 RT I learned that the badge is just a badge. It’s like the "emperors new clothes” HE IS NAKED!!! And the bike isn’t worth 10k more, except to the vapid masses who must “have the best badge ever made…”

Sheesh…
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #44
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 429
Ride 'em both, the performance differences (power, suspension, handling) will be obvious, then you can mull over the sale price, dealerships, maintenance & parts. The BMW has a few bells and whistles that many Tenere' owners lust after. Quite a few Tenere' folks spend hours personlizing seats, handle bars, swapping windscreens, ECUs, lights. ect. When you add it all up, to get the Tenere' to the level of the off-the-floor BMW would cost thousands in parts not to say anything about downtime and labor.

The Tenere' makes for a great commuter bike (reliable, flexible power and low maintenance) but beyond that...

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #45
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 730
You're very close to Razee's. Why not take the Stelvio NTX for a test ride?
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is online now   Reply With Quote