ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #61
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post

$12,800 seems high for left over ST though. I'm sure the dealers with two year old stock would be very open to lower offers.
I paid less that $12,800 for my new 2012 Tenere when I prepaid for it sight unseen in fall of 2011.

great bike, will keep it for a long time...
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #62
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,103
A while back I got new job that pays well, it involves a longish commute.
And I was in the market for a new to me bike. I got the OK from the wife to get what makes me happy. (she being made very happy with her dream bike of a Ducati Hypermotard S the year before)

I knew I wanted something comfortable and ABS. After looking around I narrowed the search down to a SuperTenere.
I wasn't crazy about the weight, I wasn't crazy about the fuel economy that was getting reported (Mid 30's to low 40s)
But everything else looked good.

The one I was looking at was also a left over, on that the sales manager said "I want this f***ing thing out of here"
To the tune of around 12K OTD

But he then sicked his half wit of a salesmen on my who pulled the typical salesmen bull. I was ready to buy.
And nothing. Bargining and follow though was just something this kid didn't get.

So I walked. I ended up getting a 2012 DL650 that I found slightly used for half the cost of a Super Tenere
(Hidden as it was in craigs list under VStorm, rather then VStrom)

Better fuel economy (I'm getting 48-53mpg)
Lighter, cheaper to insure and all around a great bike.

Plenty of performance for me and my riding, My only wish is that I had more off road worthiness.

I decided mostly based on cost and popularity. I wanted a bike that I could get parts and do dads for, a long time.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #63
LostViking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
GSDonovan,

PM sent,
Old 02-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #64
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Get the Super Tenere.

I've had everything from F800GS, KLR650 (3), Vstrom 650, Tiger, Ktm 950, KTM 990, DR650, Concours, FJR, I could go on, but....

The Tenere is made with quality. It is easy to work on. It is reliable. It handles dirt roads easily and is shockingly composed for a bike of it's weight. I've taken R1200GS's offroad, the SuperTen is so much better.

The BMW's are also nice bikes, I've owned 2 and liked them, but you are paying more, for less. I guess in the end you are paying for an image.
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #65
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Good thread, lots of good stuff in here. I am coming off of a 2007 1200GS and think my next big bike will be a 2014 Tenere. The suspension on the GS was horrible off road, I haven't ridden a Tenere but I think it will suit me better, that tele-lever crap is for the birds.

I own a few Yamaha's and they're great bikes, the Tenere sounds like a low maintenance and reliable bike.

My GS got me quite a few trouble free miles, most recently though the ABS went south costing me $$$. I sold the bike the same week I got it fixed, and the new owner called with some more electrical woes. I hope he gets them sorted out.

I did like the ease of oil changes on the GS. I did not care for the valve adjustment intervals but they were quick and easy.
Oil changes on the Tenere are also a cinch. 2 drain bolts inches apart from each other and a twist-off filter. No need for a valve adjustment till I hit 26,000 miles. Apparently after the first check, checking every other interval is reportedly fine.

Mine has been bulletproof for the past 20,000 miles, only hiccup was the headlight harness melting at the bulb connector, but Yamaha has now upgraded the harness with a much beefier version.

Did the reflash and the bike is a beast now. Mega torque from the basement through the mid-range. Rode it back to back with my friend's LC GS on a tight, twisty road and really couldn't tell the difference in performance. No doubt the S10 would lose to it on roads where top end performance is highlighted, but that's not what I bought the bike for. How's that for a torque curve?

For those who want even more power post-flash, Arrow headers and an aftermarket muffler are supposed to bump it up another 9 hp though.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #66
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post

For those who want even more power post-flash, Arrow headers and an aftermarket muffler are supposed to bump it up another 9 hp though.
The HID lights you talked me into aren't even here yet and you're still finding new
ways to spend my money. Give it a break!
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #67
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The HID lights you talked me into aren't even here yet and you're still finding new
ways to spend my money. Give it a break!
Just scored some used Arrow headers and a PCV, will post up another dyno run after installing.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #68
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,412
Quote:
Just scored some used Arrow headers and a PCV, will post up another dyno run after installing.
LALALALALALALALALA. I can't hear you.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #69
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #70
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,519
That is a sweet torque curve Twinrider! I bet it feels almost "electric". Kinda what Yamaha is known for, no hits or dead spots.

When you guys are talking about the re-flash, I'm assuming you're talking about buying a Power Commander or are you having a motorcycle shop flash it?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #71
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
That is a sweet torque curve Twinrider! I bet it feels almost "electric". Kinda what Yamaha is known for, no hits or dead spots.

When you guys are talking about the re-flash, I'm assuming you're talking about buying a Power Commander or are you having a motorcycle shop flash it?
It's a real arm-yanker right from the get-go, absolute hoot powering out of corners.

The flash is by ECUnleashed. This is the best place to get it, contact is Ed:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/scrip...dproduct=38286
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #72
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,678
Quote:

With auto tune?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #73
Killacurb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I decided to super tenere

I have started my search for an S10, basically trying to decide on color! I will be getting the ecu reflashed as the first order of business. I live in Portland and noticed ecu unleashed has an authorized dealer up in Kirkland WA, 2 Wheel DynoWorks. That might be a fun little road trip but was wondering if any NW guys have had any dealings with these guys, good or bad? Thanks.

06 330i
02 FZ1
Killacurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #74
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killacurb View Post
I have started my search for an S10, basically trying to decide on color! I will be getting the ecu reflashed as the first order of business. I live in Portland and noticed ecu unleashed has an authorized dealer up in Kirkland WA, 2 Wheel DynoWorks. That might be a fun little road trip but was wondering if any NW guys have had any dealings with these guys, good or bad? Thanks.
Are you going to wait for the new '14 model? And the big question for me is whether the throttle response/fueling has changed with the 2014 model or not....ie, will it also need its ECU reprogrammed or not. From what I've read the HP and Torque ratings are higher....so maybe they listened to all the complaints in the forum about response through the first three gears?

GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #75
Teli Rides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41

Hi,

I just got the '14 S-10, I can say that the difference between "T" and "S" modes are like day and night on T the response is gentle and perfect for the city, it feels slower than my previous F 650 GS Twin. on "S" is a whole different animal .

I must say the bike feels slower than it really is, you can be doing 100+ mph in the blink of an eye and feel like you are doing 60, have to be careful with that thing.
Teli Rides is offline   Reply With Quote