Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #76
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killacurb View Post
I have started my search for an S10, basically trying to decide on color! I will be getting the ecu reflashed as the first order of business. I live in Portland and noticed ecu unleashed has an authorized dealer up in Kirkland WA, 2 Wheel DynoWorks. That might be a fun little road trip but was wondering if any NW guys have had any dealings with these guys, good or bad? Thanks.
I was due to get my reflash done there but ECUunleashed had a computer problem and were not able to send the file through. However, they were amiable and friendly. They actually work out of a small cabin and the back of a Truck trailer where their dyno is installed. They are then able to go to race meets with it. A small outfit but they appeared to me to know what they were doing.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #77
Killacurb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post
Are you going to wait for the new '14 model? And the big question for me is whether the throttle response/fueling has changed with the 2014 model or not....ie, will it also need its ECU reprogrammed or not. From what I've read the HP and Torque ratings are higher....so maybe they listened to all the complaints in the forum about response through the first three gears?

Good question. Maybe I should wait and see if the new 2014's are well sorted and not in need of a reflash? That would open my options, new 14, or discounted 13? I have waited this long, another couple months can't hurt.

06 330i
02 FZ1
Killacurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #78
Killacurb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I was due to get my reflash done there but ECUunleashed had a computer problem and were not able to send the file through. However, they were amiable and friendly. They actually work out of a small cabin and the back of a Truck trailer where their dyno is installed. They are then able to go to race meets with it. A small outfit but they appeared to me to know what they were doing.
Good to know, thanks for the info!

06 330i
02 FZ1
Killacurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #79
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teli Rides View Post
Hi,

I just got the '14 S-10, I can say that the difference between "T" and "S" modes are like day and night on T the response is gentle and perfect for the city, it feels slower than my previous F 650 GS Twin. on "S" is a whole different animal .

I must say the bike feels slower than it really is, you can be doing 100+ mph in the blink of an eye and feel like you are doing 60, have to be careful with that thing.
PICS PICS PICS! or it didn't happen.... So Mexico got them before Europe? Awesome.

We would all love to see some dyno numbers if that is something you plan on doing....
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #80
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teli Rides View Post
Hi,

I just got the '14 S-10, I can say that the difference between "T" and "S" modes are like day and night on T the response is gentle and perfect for the city, it feels slower than my previous F 650 GS Twin. on "S" is a whole different animal .

I must say the bike feels slower than it really is, you can be doing 100+ mph in the blink of an eye and feel like you are doing 60, have to be careful with that thing.
Good stuff! Have you also ridden the older model? If so, how does it compare?
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #81
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
With auto tune?
Not for now, I have a map developed by a highly respected tuner for my setup so will see how that goes.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #82
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post
PICS PICS PICS! or it didn't happen.... So Mexico got them before Europe? Awesome.

Columbia had them in December...... I know...I saw it.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #83
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Not for now, I have a map developed by a highly respected tuner for my setup so will see how that goes.
Have you got any other engine mods ??? and I assume you have the Gen 2 flash.

Just asking as I have a PCV that was tuned with the Gen 1 flash and the map will be redundant when I finally get round to getting the Gen 2 done.

It might be a while. With the weather we are having I may have to build an Ark first.

Having just come from the Argentinian summer we were looking forward to cooler weather. What we got was free swimming lessons.

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 02:54 PM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #84
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,005
Quote:
Have you got any other engine mods ??? and I assume you have the Gen 2 flash.
Current setup is a Gen 2 flash and an Akra slipon. I plan to switch to a K&N filter when I add the headers and PCV as that's what the map was made for.

The bike runs great as is but when I came across a good deal on a PCV and header I figured why not try it as the reviews for this setup have been really good, with the top end power getting a good shot in the arm, and the engine spinning up very quickly without the cat to clog things up.

Sorry to hear about the weather, I saw pics of the floods looked pretty bad...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #85
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:

Having just come from the Argentinian summer we were looking forward to cooler weather. What we got was free swimming lessons.
We're burning, you are swimming, California is drying up, The East coast US was freezing, It's a weird and whacky climate.

Hope you are all OK as well. I suppose it may be a good time to start a mouldy cheese factory.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #86
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
It sounds like the OP is used to bigger, heavier ADV bikes, and actually rides a lot so the S-10 probably makes sense. The S-10 hides the feeling of speed, I was usually surprised at how fast I was riding. I didn't like the weight and the power was a little too diesel-like for me.

I'm back on a 650 thumper which suites my riding well. But, if I was going for a big bike again, I would take a hard look at the tiger 800/1200s. The triples are great motors and the 800 is a 100lbs lighter than a s10

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #87
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Cool, I got cool for ya, it was -21 here this morning.

As stated in my PM, I own a Tenere. I have owned a 2005.5 950 and a 2006 1200 GS. I have owned three GSs. An R100, R1200 and an F800. I'd rather the Tenere than any of them.

On top of that I got a very long test ride on a wet head GS last summer. I was ready to pull the trigger on a wet head and then I got a test ride on the S10. No where near the gizmos the GS has. But it just felt good. Plus I was reluctant to be a beta tester for BMW again. But make no mistake the wet head is a drop dead sexy engine especially coupled with the slipper clutch. They also addressed some of the other issues I had with the big GS. Air management was way better too.

The Tenere works everywhere. I would say it slots between the 950 and the big GS. Lets face it the 950 is a hell of a dirt machine. At least for it's size. The S10 suits me fine on the road. Does OK in easy dirt too. Where I think it excells is low maintenance and dependability. Gas and go,

I doubt you would be disappointed. But everyone's expectations are different. I personally think it has enough power in it's standard configuration. I would love to try one chipped and piped though.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #88
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
It sounds like the OP is used to bigger, heavier ADV bikes, and actually rides a lot so the S-10 probably makes sense. The S-10 hides the feeling of speed, I was usually surprised at how fast I was riding. I didn't like the weight and the power was a little too diesel-like for me.

I'm back on a 650 thumper which suites my riding well. But, if I was going for a big bike again, I would take a hard look at the tiger 800/1200s. The triples are great motors and the 800 is a 100lbs lighter than a s10
Thanks for getting back on topic........I looked seriously at the Triumphs before I bought the Multistrada. The 800 wasn't good enough as a long distance tourer (I do a lot of highway riding). The 1200 felt and sounded great, but I was concerned about the number of issues I was reading about on forums, its lack of off-pavement capabilities, as well as the lack of dealer support. There is a Triumph dealer in my area, but they were new and struggling at the time. Obviously, with a Yamaha, dealer availability would never be an issue here in the US of A.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #89
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

So I had an '08 GS Adventure that I absolutely loved...I couldn't imagine selling it until I started running into problems just after my warranty expired. The key features that made it the right bike for me was:

1. Huge fuel range (well over 300 miles)...super convenient...love this, its one of my biggest complaints about the Multi.
2. Wind protection was fantastic...noise was low, no buffeting (I'm 5' 11", 32" inseam)
3. Very tall...I think its safer to sit up high at near eye level with SUV-driving soccer moms....also good for going over rocks, jumping curbs and whatnot
4. Lots of wattage available to power my heated gear, gps and cell phone
5. Pack horse...plenty of spots to use for tie downs...could carry most anything
6. Push-button adjustable suspension...very convenient as I ride in all kinds of conditions...would adjust almost every day.
7. Engine guards...I went down many times off pavement and the bike held up great
8. And, I'm not a farkler per se...I really like that the "stock" GSA has everything I want...I kept my bike bone stock except for the addition of a sheepskin butt pad for the seat.

Reading many posts about the ST, it sounds like it would get me most of the way there to what I really want. Ahhh, decisions decisions...

GSDonovan screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 04:08 AM
Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #90
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
You're very close to Razee's. Why not take the Stelvio NTX for a test ride?

I as a long time BMW rider, I love this bike. The Tenere would be next on my list though.

stevie88 screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 07:31 PM
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote