Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #91
NSpooner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I'm also considering the Tenere but I also am looking at the Tiger 800xc. I've taken a very short ride on the tiger but never riden the Tenere. Once it gets warm out I will take some test rides but I need a bike that will do several hours a day comfortably with a lot of highway but I have to go down some dirt roads occasionally. I do want the bike to be fun to rip around on and I'm a little nervous that the S10 would feel huge running around town, plus I'm 5'9" so not super tall. And I've ridden a big parallel twin a bit but it didn't have the same crank rotation that the Yamaha has but I hated that motor. Anyone have a bit of time on both bikes that can chime in? I think the Yamaha has a little more bang for the buck with adjustable suspension and the electronics and shaft drive but being an ex-road racer I get nervous having a bike I can't change gearing on if I don't like how it is stock.
NSpooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #92
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post
Thanks for getting back on topic........I looked seriously at the Triumphs before I bought the Multistrada. The 800 wasn't good enough as a long distance tourer (I do a lot of highway riding). The 1200 felt and sounded great, but I was concerned about the number of issues I was reading about on forums, its lack of off-pavement capabilities, as well as the lack of dealer support. There is a Triumph dealer in my area, but they were new and struggling at the time. Obviously, with a Yamaha, dealer availability would never be an issue here in the US of A.
Ya, the Tiger 800XC is a great compromise bike (does touring and mountain passes but not ideal for either, does need a screen and seat mods for touring duties) but based on your original post, probably not the right bike for you.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #93
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Local to me:
>>> NEW 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - $11499
https://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcd/4318621211.html

Seems like a heck of a deal if there are no hidden fees, besides tt&l.

I have to wonder about life after a multistrada though... Its like your thing with tomb raider chick didnt work out, so now youre ganna try to chose between pretty woman and judge judy. Hmmm... maybe u should take rosie odonel out on a few dates just so u can figure out what your real priorities are

(j/k)
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #94
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSpooner View Post
I'm also considering the Tenere but I also am looking at the Tiger 800xc. I've taken a very short ride on the tiger but never riden the Tenere. Once it gets warm out I will take some test rides but I need a bike that will do several hours a day comfortably with a lot of highway but I have to go down some dirt roads occasionally. I do want the bike to be fun to rip around on and I'm a little nervous that the S10 would feel huge running around town, plus I'm 5'9" so not super tall. And I've ridden a big parallel twin a bit but it didn't have the same crank rotation that the Yamaha has but I hated that motor. Anyone have a bit of time on both bikes that can chime in? I think the Yamaha has a little more bang for the buck with adjustable suspension and the electronics and shaft drive but being an ex-road racer I get nervous having a bike I can't change gearing on if I don't like how it is stock.
I've tested both the tiger 800xc and the Tenere (as well as many others...). I really liked the triumph, but it didn't feel like it would work for me (I'm 6'5"). The bike I tested had a very high frequency buzz at highway speeds. And the transmission gearing is extremely close together. Shifting from 4-6, rpm drops are very small. I liked how light it felt, and it seemed to handle very well. My test was about 30 minutes and included highway, city, and rough roads. The bike already had an Arrow slip on, but it still didn't sound as good as I thought it should've. To me, the best sounding triumph is the 1050 speed triple.

The Super Tenere was very comfortable for me. The one I tested had about 3000 miles on it, so throttle modulation was very smooth and I never had any of the stalling issues. Wind protection was much better, but I still need a bigger screen. The seat was very comfortable, almost as comfy as the Stelvio NTX (king of comfort in this genre). The transmission had very wide ratios, so I was chugging along at 3500rpm at 75 mph instead of 6000rpm on the triumph (which I find crazy!). The torque is extremely linear on the yamaha. No slingshot feeling like my BMW. It just rolls on like an electric motor. Vibes? What vibes? When the engine is idling along at low speeds, it reminds me of a golf cart. At higher rpm, it sounds pretty good to me. Lastly, the weight of the Tenere is EXTREMELY LOW, unlike a fully fueled GSA. The GSA feels like piloting a water tower. Yes... Excellent wind protection, suspension adjustment, etc, but not worth the hassle of "what if...".

I've made up my decision. I'll be getting the Super Tenere. I'm REALLY curious to see the new and improved '14s when they come stateside.
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #95
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
The GSA feels like piloting a water tower.

I agree but I would never thought anyone would believe it. You just have to be polite about it, but they do have their redeeming features, from memory, but I lost interest a while ago. I thought they felt weird but apparently weird is good so I have been told.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #96
TealLA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Never rode the ST, but just got off the 2014 GS and GSA and they are awesome bikes!! They are not cheap, but you get a lot for the money in my opinion. By far two of the best bikes I've ever ridden.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #97
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealLA View Post
Never rode the ST, but just got off the 2014 GS and GSA and they are awesome bikes!! They are not cheap, but you get a lot for the money in my opinion. By far two of the best bikes I've ever ridden.
Then the S10 is not for you.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #98
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post

I as a long time BMW rider, I love this bike. The Tenere would be next on my list though.
I would be interested to test the Stelvio, but it is a bit too exotic for me, I think...and I don't dig the looks at all. Moto Guzzi dealerships are pretty far and few between when you're out on the road.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:58 AM   #99
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Local to me:
>>>
I have to wonder about life after a multistrada though... Its like your thing with tomb raider chick didnt work out, so now youre ganna try to chose between pretty woman and judge judy. Hmmm... maybe u should take rosie odonel out on a few dates just so u can figure out what your real priorities are

(j/k)
OH yes...the Multi is one hot and sexy Italian princess. Addicting to ride and listen to, but a little high maintenance.

BTW, if any one is interested in owning my Multi, I can hook you up.

GSDonovan screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 04:12 AM
Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 AM   #100
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

I agree but I would never thought anyone would believe it. You just have to be polite about it, but they do have their redeeming features, from memory, but I lost interest a while ago. I thought they felt weird but apparently weird is good so I have been told.
I think it might depend on what you're coming from perhaps...Its a big tall bike, but "piloting a water tower" was never how I felt except in mud and sand which is a rare situation for me. I think even the ST would feel the same in such circumstances. On the twisties the GSA is very flickable and nimble, IMHO. The new 2014 is supposed to be even more so.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 AM   #101
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,488
Quote:
I would be interested to test the Stelvio, but it is a bit too exotic for me, I think...and I don't dig the looks at all. Moto Guzzi dealerships are pretty far and few between when you're out on the road.
Looks are subjective, I think it's the best looking of the adventure bikes. Of course, we are talking adventure bikes and looks in the same post.

I'm 325 miles to my nearest BMW dealer, it's another 25 or so to the Guzzi dealer. The Guzzi is a hell of a lot easier to service though so I do all that myself, takes about an hour to change fluids, adjust valves if needed and sync the throttles. The final drive they use has been solid, unlike the boys from Germany.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:21 AM   #102
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,902
Quote:
I think it might depend on what you're coming from perhaps...Its a big tall bike, but "piloting a water tower" was never how I felt except in mud and sand which is a rare situation for me. I think even the ST would feel the same in such circumstances. On the twisties the GSA is very flickable and nimble, IMHO. The new 2014 is supposed to be even more so.
Two of my friends own GSAs and I had an opp to ride one's 2008 back to back with my S10 on some twisty roads. Felt really unwieldy compared to the Tenere due to the longer suspension and huge fuel tank way up high. Even he commented on how much easier the S10 was to ride and how quick revving it was. He especially liked it in the dirt compared to the beemer.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:30 AM   #103
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Two of my friends own GSAs and I had an opp to ride one's 2008 back to back with my S10 on some twisty roads. Felt really unwieldy compared to the Tenere due to the longer suspension and huge fuel tank way up high. Even he commented on how much easier the S10 was to ride and how quick revving it was. He especially liked it in the dirt compared to the beemer.
Did they mean unwieldy when moving it around their garage? There's no way you would notice "a gas tank up high" when you're moving at speed anywhere except in the mud, sand or very slow parking lot speeds maybe. I also don't agree with the "quick reving" comment either, granted I only test rode the ST....but the thing I noticed the most about the ST was a general lack of gusto or spirit about the engine compared to my GSA and especially the Multi. Many reviews out there concur on this point. Anyway, the new water-cooled GSA is supposed to have significantly amped up the engine's peppiness, so maybe these comparisons to the old engine is purely academic. And for that matter, maybe so are the comparisons to the 2013 (or earlier) STs...the new 2014 ST model is supposed to have more HP and torque. I can't wait to test ride it!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #104
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
So I had an '08 GS Adventure that I absolutely loved...I couldn't imagine selling it until I started running into problems just after my warranty expired. The key features that made it the right bike for me was:

1. Huge fuel range (well over 300 miles)...super convenient...love this, its one of my biggest complaints about the Multi.
2. Wind protection was fantastic...noise was low, no buffeting (I'm 5' 11", 32" inseam)
3. Very tall...I think its safer to sit up high at near eye level with SUV-driving soccer moms....also good for going over rocks, jumping curbs and whatnot
4. Lots of wattage available to power my heated gear, gps and cell phone
5. Pack horse...plenty of spots to use for tie downs...could carry most anything
6. Push-button adjustable suspension...very convenient as I ride in all kinds of conditions...would adjust almost every day.
7. Engine guards...I went down many times off pavement and the bike held up great
8. And, I'm not a farkler per se...I really like that the "stock" GSA has everything I want...I kept my bike bone stock except for the addition of a sheepskin butt pad for the seat.

Reading many posts about the ST, it sounds like it would get me most of the way there to what I really want. Ahhh, decisions decisions...
This is where the answers lie, specifically numbers one, two, and six. The bikes weight or motor seem to matter less to you as they weren't mentioned in your list. What matters to me or any of us here may not necessarily matter to you. Buy the bike that fits your riding needs and wants, best.

Have fun with the decision making,
Old 02-13-2014, 04:43 AM   #105
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,488
Quote:
Did they mean unwieldy when moving it around their garage? There's no way you would notice "a gas tank up high" when you're moving at speed anywhere except in the mud, sand or very slow parking lot speeds maybe. I also don't agree with the "quick reving" comment either, granted I only test rode the ST....but the thing I noticed the most about the ST was a general lack of gusto or spirit about the engine compared to my GSA and especially the Multi. Many reviews out there concur on this point. Anyway, the new water-cooled GSA is supposed to have significantly amped up the engine's peppiness, so maybe these comparisons to the old engine is purely academic. And for that matter, maybe so are the comparisons to the 2013 (or earlier) STs...the new 2014 ST model is supposed to have more HP and torque. I can't wait to test ride it!
No, the comments about the GSA are spot on. I put 50k miles on my 08 before going the Stelvio rout last year and there is a noticeable difference in their handling at both slow and high speeds. The GSA is more difficult to handle off road and it isn't as nimble in the twisties.