Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #91
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Lex,
Your photos certainly catch the mood ....great stuff. Too bad about the bike problem, but if you have the time and $$$, it's just a matter of time and delay....looks like you are using the time well.
I was just bumped out the first few days but after a little...errr a lot of tequila things didn't seem so bad.....
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #92
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
Great pics!

As much as I prefer the smaller towns north of PV (Sayulita, Guayabitos, San Blas) I love the old section in the south end of PV and could happily spend a couple weeks "stranded" there.
Me too and the old section of PV was full with people and the newer part of PV was empty as you can see from the pictures I took of the beach.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #93
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano619 View Post
very nice pics-----+1

Thank you
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #94
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
Me too and the old section of PV was full with people and the newer part of PV was empty as you can see from the pictures I took of the beach.

I noticed the same thing 3 weeks ago when we did a one week family vacation to PV.

Your pics are making me wish we had not come home.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #95
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

lexluther11 screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 09:20 AM
Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #96
Vic5491
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Great Photos! Route followed?

GREAT PHOTOS! You have a very good eye for composition! What kind of camera did you use to take these?

I am planning a trip to Mexico right now and would love to see maps showing your route with any commentary you might share about high points, places to skip, where to stay, etc.

Glad you have had a great trip so far and hope your return is equally satisfying!

Vic

[QUOTE=lexluther11;23427710]Hi all,

I just got back from riding to Mexico yesterday. I left Vancouver Dec 23, 2013 and left my motorcycle in Zihuatanejo.
Vic5491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #97
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

[QUOTE=Vic5491;23480737]GREAT PHOTOS! You have a very good eye for composition! What kind of camera did you use to take these?

I am planning a trip to Mexico right now and would love to see maps showing your route with any commentary you might share about high points, places to skip, where to stay, etc.

Glad you have had a great trip so far and hope your return is equally satisfying!

Vic

Quote:
Hi all,

I just got back from riding to Mexico yesterday. I left Vancouver Dec 23, 2013 and left my motorcycle in Zihuatanejo.
Hi Vic,

I use a Pentax WG-1 for my pocket, it's dust proof, waterproof, crush proof and a Pentax K-5 that's also waterproof so great cameras for adventure riding. As for my planning I get all my info here in Ride Planning. http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57
The guys there have a wealth of information. As for myself riding I never plan to where I'm going, if I like a spot I'll stay if not move on. The only place I planned ahead to stay was Cabo San Lucas because at New Years it's hard to find a place at a reasonable price so I booked that condo way ahead. I haven't been to as many places yet that I would of liked to because of my motorcycle breakdown. I do enjoy staying in the smaller Ma and Pop Hotels and also like to get all the gear off my bike a go explore the surrounding areas. I have just been riding the coast hwy #15 and #200 so far. I spent a week in Zihuatanejo before I returned home.........Love it there!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #98
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,354
Where did you stay at in PV? Also did you have to take the bike to a shop for repair?

Rode down to PV in Jan. Had a great trip and loved the weather. My phone camera pics just don't compare....
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #99
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #100
Vic5491
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Thanks. Did you ever run into trouble finding acceptable lodging on your trip?

On average, what is did your trip cost you no a per day basis while in Mexico? I'm trying to figure out how long I can afford to stay! :)

Other than that one time you went where you were told not to go, did you ever feel in danger?

Vic
Vic5491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #101
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Where did you stay at in PV? Also did you have to take the bike to a shop for repair?

Rode down to PV in Jan. Had a great trip and loved the weather. My phone camera pics just don't compare....
I stayed at the Costa Del Sol the first two nights.

Then I worked out a deal at the Hotel Hacienda da Vallarta for the rast of my time in Puerto Vallarta.

I took the bike to a Mexican shop called Gilo Motorcycles. Great help and I would recommend them.

lexluther11 screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 01:37 PM
Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #102
Morocco
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Great pics

Quote:
Yes I was in the same area and did venture off the main road into a secluded place that maybe I shouldn't have been. I had passed a few real small villages down to a river, took a few pictures and was on my way back out when I noticed a SUV behind me. It pulled along beside me and all I seen were machine guns. The SUV pulled in front cutting me off and 3 young guys jumped out stopped me at gun point. I had my GoPro camera rolling and right away they took it away from me. They asked if I had drugs and searched my bike looking for drugs? I explained I was just a tourist and did not have any drugs so they eased up and put the guns down. After talking with them a bit I managed to get my camera back minus the SD card. They really didn't want their pictures taken. They were never mean to me but yes I was scared being in the middle of no place with no one knowing where I was. I have to admit too I was told not to go into that area and did anyways so I lay the blame on myself for getting into that situation.

Apparently they are vigilantly squads fighting the Cartel and I did get stopped again at a road block but was let through right away. They are looking for drugs, guns and Cartel members not tourists. In no way am I discouraged from riding in Mexico and can't wait to return.

Unfortunately information is correct and those particular States (Michoacan and Guerrero) are not safe right now, but if you have to go across them just stay on the main roads, try not to ride when dark and there should be no problem (you will find military checkpoints often).
As for the rest of Mexico, is as safe, fun and enjoyable to ride as it has always been. Welcome back to Mexico in 6 weeks and Ride Safe!!
Morocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #103
lexluther11 OP
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic5491 View Post
Thanks. Did you ever run into trouble finding acceptable lodging on your trip?

On average, what is did your trip cost you no a per day basis while in Mexico? I'm trying to figure out how long I can afford to stay! :)

Other than that one time you went where you were told not to go, did you ever feel in danger?

Vic
No you can find Hotels most every place you go, ranging from 100 pesos to very expensive hotels at the major resorts. My average was 300-400 pesos a day for that price you get a nice Hotel. No matter where you stay it's always a clean room. You'll notice that most hotels are sadly empty so that's why I like to stay in the family run hotels not any hotel chain. My average is about $70-100 per day but my bike likes the gas and I like to go out for dinner....... and my tequila......visiting the bars. If you like beer it's 10-15 pesos for a Corona..... Cheap Cheap!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #104
Alaska Pat
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Heading to Panama…need company

Hola

I just finished a trip from Santa Fe to Puerta Vallarta on my 2013 BMW 800 GS. I parked my bike there and flew back to Kotzebue, Alaska. I plan to return to PV, Mex, in March sometime (I'm pretty flexible) and will ride to Panama and back, about 6,000 miles total.

I'm looking for travel partner(s)!!!!

Here is how I like to roll:
-Average about 300 miles a day with a few days off here and there
-My preference is to stay in cheap motels, but I'm prepared to camp
-I like staying on the back roads, taking my time and appreciating and experiencing my surroundings.

I'm open to any advise from veteran Central America travelers regarding routes, safety issues, and key things to see along the way.

If there are other forums that you might know of where I can find a travel partner for this trip, please chime in.

If you are interested in this adventure, my email address is
patrickh03@hotmail.com

drop me an email and let's start planning!
Alaska Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #105
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Pat View Post
I'm open to any advise from veteran Central America travelers regarding routes, safety issues, and key things to see along the way.

This thread has been around awhile.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141751
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote