Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #181
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Actually you won't stop any quicker if the brakes are doing nothing at all.
The ABS on YOUR CHOSEN BIKE sucks in certain circumstances. We get it. Let's move on, hm?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #182
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
You have to re-learn the brakes so you keep pulling when it kicks and let the ABS do the work and you will stop quicker.
Keeping pulling is not that hard for me. But I have to force myself to brake hard enough at all - at least on a homogeneous surface. It's even harder on an unfamiliar bike. Once I was asked to check if the ABS worked on a F650GS. Just didn't have the heart for the front ABS even on lawn stone.
On my VFR 1200 it helps that you don't need much force on the front brake, much better than on her little Sister (800).
Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #183
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
The ABS on YOUR CHOSEN BIKE sucks in certain circumstances. We get it. Let's move on, hm?
What I'd like to move to is to find out how many other chosen models do the same thing. You guys are all happy as clams not knowing, that's fine with me.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #184
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,250
Quote:
What I'd like to move to is to find out how many other chosen models do the same thing. You guys are all happy as clams not knowing, that's fine with me.
Ooh, that's scary....!

Think I'm gonna call you the Washboard Guy.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #185
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
And I think you're not paying attention, as others have addressed that.

My '04 FJR and '12 Tiger800 will cycle the ABS on washboards if I was braking hard, but would behave normally afterward. Haven't had a chance to try on the new FJR.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #186
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,389
I read the ABS section for both the BMW 800 and Tiger yesterday, out of the Owner's manual they are available online for perusal.

Can't seem to get anywhere with the Suzuki manuals....maybe I'll try Hondas or others if I feel like reading the same warnings with different wordings.

So far....they all seem to use the word "potentially".
Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #187
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
... if your tyres loose contact with the surface and lock, ABS will open the brakes and close them again when the tyres touch the surface and start to turn again.
Nothing there about ABS cutting off the brakes for extended periods of time even under moderate braking as you claimed.

I :heart: ABS

...on my present motorcycle. My previous one?

Even from bike to bike, same manufacturer, same model, ABS can sometimes be not exactly the same. In a perfect world it *should* be, but I know for a fact having owned one, it is not.

I know exactly what the guys here are talking about, regarding ABS on certain bikes that Sucked!

I'm not even going to say which bike or manufacturer it was that had me absolutely horrified at how poorly the ABS operated, and did EXACTLY what these other fellows are trying to tell you about. Extended brake release and a stomach turning free wheeling, that would send you past where you had wanted to stop.

Unless you rode my bike, under the conditions I did, and had it happen, for all the years I owned it, saying it doesn't or can't, is a completely bizarre thing to do.

The very fact that the bike I own now has me mega happy with it's flawless ABS, should at least let you know I am not a hater, and only ask you to please keep an open mind that other riders can have something happen that you may not have.

If the others or myself are unable to be wonderfully articulate or write our experiences down in such a way that is understood by you, my apologies, but surely that shouldn't translate into: "you're wrong, and/or: "that can't happen" with such confident disregard.
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #188
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Ooh, that's scary....!

Think I'm gonna call you the Washboard Guy.
Well I do ride on a lot of washboard roads.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #189
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Well I do ride on a lot of washboard roads.
The larger the government gets the more of them there are.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #190
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The larger the government gets the more of them there are.
Yeah the whole annual grading thing seems to have ended.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #191
mcpenner OP
mcpenner

Oddometer: 238
All I can say is WOW this is crazy. I forgot to subscribe to this thread when I started it so I only read the first few replies and then forgot about it. Now that the weather is getting better I looked it up again. 13 pages and almost NOTHING that is actually helpful to my original question!!! Come on people, you can do better then this.

I really do not care what you think of ABS! But I bought a bike with it and asked for some friendly advice about using it properly. I do know how to operate a motorcycle safely without ABS. That's all I've ever ridden.

Anyway, thanks to the few who gave me some useful pointers.
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 AM   #192
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
I'll be riding with ABS brakes for the first time this spring (DL650). Is there anything I should be watching out for or practicing when I start?
Just brake normally…. ABS is there as a back up, not as a substitute for basic skills and common sense.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:08 AM   #193
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,250
yep, just brake normally. And practice braking (& braking+maneuvering) a lot, and on different surfaces, so you get used to how your bike behaves in those situations.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #194
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Get to know when ABS kicks in and how it feels. Mostly so you are not surprised by it.

Other than that, just normal braking runs.
Definitely. I had to try 3 times practice emergency stops to get the ABS to kick in. Once it did it startled me a bit. Get familiar with how it feels and how hard you have to get on the brakes to make it activate.

I've also read you should active it periodically as a maintenance issue. Can't swear to that, though.

2010 Concours 14
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #195
Mika S
JC & MC: Double Freedom

Oddometer: 167
Early (-05 that is) R12GS here. Let me reveal to all how little I know.

When I first bought the bike years back, I took a riding course (on asphalt). We did some braking practices.

My first lesson learned:
The ABS on this particular bike is quite rough and slow. When it kicks in, the front end of the bike would kind of shake up and down (well probably not in reality due the telelever, but it felt like doing it) with the ABS pulsations, which seemed to be far over exaggerated (rough, like maybe releasing the brakes too much during every cycle) and slow (way too low in frequency). The front suspension was at a low preload setting, and setting it to medium made the behavior of the bike in braking much better.

My second lesson learned (very basic to most of you I'm sure):
I learned to use the front brake lever with a firm but "round" grip; don't just slam it as quickly as you can. This allows the weight to move to the front and the tire will have better traction and you're not going to lock the wheel (or get the ABS kick in) as early. Much better control during braking, fast but non-panic stopping.

My third lesson learned:
When taking my ride to gravel roads, I noticed that sometimes, especially at washboards(!) the braking effect was very weak, SCARY! Especially in a slight downhill slope, when you'd expect to have poor braking anyway.

(I'm still using the ABS in all conditions, even gravel and loose surfaces, as
1) it's too cumbersome to turn off in the old models like mine, and
2) I believe that it's still more safe to ride with the ABS on rather than off.)

Reading the above posts of other inmates, I'm starting to think that something needs to be done to keep the front wheel to the ground in the washboards. Maybe it's time for a suspension upgrade or should I at least try to learn to set it up better..??
Mika S is offline   Reply With Quote