Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #16
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
Get used to turning it off! ABS is a triumph of marketing over common sense. I've had it three bikes, it's as dangerous as bolting knives to your dashboard. On the first, a BMW R1200gs it kicked off on road and the brakes failed and I overshot the line by a few meters, enough to mean I had to swerve to avoid an oncoming car. Second, BMW F800gs, the brakes kept skipping every time I went over a bump, I nearly stacked it a number of times. It seems to work fine on my little BMW 650 but I switch it off routinely.
On my friend's KTM Adventure it failed in Bulgaria where the roads are very smooth. He overshot the stop and rode into the middle of three lanes of oncoming traffic. He was very nearly killed.
Just learn to ride and pull the fuse.
Based on your descriptions, I don't think the ABS is the problem.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #17
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
Some people like the computers to do all the work of riding a bike for them. Personally I think that's funny. If you need ABS you shouldn't be allowed on a bike. If you think you need it, you probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.
for example Honda, the biggest 2-wheel manufacturer on the planet, seems to fully disagree with you, since they have declared several years ago they will be equipping all their road-going models with ABS.

But they of course have not got a clue about anything related to bikes, they just design & build them..
Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
for example Honda, the biggest 2-wheel manufacturer on the planet, seems to fully disagree with you, since they have declared several years ago they will be equipping all their road-going models with ABS.

But they of course have not got a clue about anything related to bikes, they just design & build them..
I guess I won't be buying any Hondas.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #19
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,296
Another ABS vs non-ABS thread in the making????
Old 02-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Not from me, I don't mind having it. I just wish you could shut it off on the fly, like a kill switch. Maybe I should rewire my kill switch to disable the ABS as well as killing the engine, being able to brake can be important more often than killing the engine.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #21
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,092
I've never had any issues with the ABS on my BMW 1150GS, it just works when it's needed without any drama at all. I leave it turned on all the time (yes, even on gravel roads, wet roads, sand-covered roads, etc.) and never really notice it. This is my 3rd Beemer with ABS and I had the same experience with the other two as well. If used properly the ABS is not intrusive at all.

That being said, I've been riding for over 5 decades and learned to ride on bikes with shitty brakes, crappy brakes, good brakes without ABS, no brakes (flat-tracker, wooot!!!), and now brakes with ABS. The best advice I could give anyone new to ABS is to turn it off, learn to ride the bike without the ABS in all kinds of situations, then turn it on and let it be a safety margin like it was meant to be. If you are riding with full situational awareness, good skills, use engine braking, and can stop the bike within a safe distance without the ABS firing then it will be there when you need it in an emergency.

Enjoy your new toy!

Doug
Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #22
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

"Some people like the computers to do all the work of riding a bike for them"

you have misunderstood something. The computer does nothing, unless you're about to lock a wheel. Also controlling the motorcycle, leaning, using throttle and gears, etc, the ABS computer has zero to do with any of those. It's just an emergency brake assist. And actually it does not brake for you, it cannot do that. All it can do, is release brake pressure from the hydraulic circuit momentarily.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #23
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
there was one not so long ago.

I'd vote for an oil thread instead.

...Or HEY: what hydraulic fluid (other than what they recommend, of course) should I use on my ABS brake system??
Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #24
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And actually it does not brake for you, it cannot do that. All it can do, is release brake pressure from the hydraulic circuit momentarily.
Usually at an appropriate time, sometimes not.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #25
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Usually at an appropriate time, sometimes not.
yes, for people like you it would be good to have an off-switch, so these useless systems would not get in the way of your superior skills.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #26
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Not from me, I don't mind having it. I just wish you could shut it off on the fly, like a kill switch. Maybe I should rewire my kill switch to disable the ABS as well as killing the engine, being able to brake can be important more often than killing the engine.
Well if you don't mind the annoying flashing lights, that may be easier than you think on a BMW and probably most other brands. But then if that BMW has the servos you sure don't want to disable that at the same time.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #27
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well if you don't mind the annoying flashing lights, that may be easier than you think on a BMW and probably most other brands. But then if that BMW has the servos you sure don't want to disable that at the same time.
Don't know about any servos, mine has no lights flashing, just a steady red light if ABS is disabled. The problem is you can't do it on the fly instantly, like when you need to brake and the ABS isn't letting you.

I think on the later ones you can. (F800GS)
Old 02-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #28
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
yes, for people like you it would be good to have an off-switch, so these useless systems would not get in the way of your superior skills.
Has nothing to do with skills, sometimes on bumpy roads, paved or not, the ABS does not allow braking at all. Read what I wrote.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #29
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Has nothing to do with skills, sometimes on bumpy roads, paved or not, the ABS does not allow braking at all.
one thing to keep in mind is that 'ABS' is not one single thing. It is a common name for a system, that has many different generations and versions, and also the bike, that it is installed to, affects everything. So you can't generalize very much.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #30
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Has nothing to do with skills, sometimes on bumpy roads, paved or not, the ABS does not allow braking at all. Read what I wrote.
Is your rebound dampening adjustable???