Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #91
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I'm coming down on the same side of a disagreement as Wraith Rider for the first time ever.

If you overshoot into an intersection at a yellow light there are NO F***ING EXCUSES!! You screwed up and blaming your brakes is never going to change that.
I'm sorry, I need no excuse, I never shot into any intersection at all. I turned off the key and stopped normally. Another time I steered over to a smoother spot and stopped normally. None of the times the braking didnt work were hard stops at all, no where near any limits of traction. No slippery surfaces involved, not wet, not oily or sandy. Just routine stops, on a routine surface, with slight braking bumps in the asphalt. The same thing happens every time on washboarded gravel roads, whether you are braking hard or just slowing down a little bit. The brakes just don't come on.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #92
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
if there is, for example, a car engine, that is somehow prone to fail, can't there still be another type of car engine, that is not?

I don't get why every ABS system is the same either. They are not. (Even though it does make this discussion a lot more complicated).
Old 02-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #93
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
if there is, for example, a car engine, that is somehow prone to fail, can't there still be another type of car engine, that is not?

I don't get why every ABS system is the same either. They are not. (Even though it does make this discussion a lot more complicated).
I don't think anyone ever said they are all the same. I'm sure some are better than others, some probably work better on snow, some better in dirt, I have not tested them all. New ones seem to be a lot better than old ones.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #94
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Is it possible that you might have been riding over a slick surface and the ABS actually saved your butt, preventing you from locking the front wheel and crashing?
In my case it was not. Like I said, I went around the block to do it over and over, got a similar result each time. It was not slippery. It was not wet. It was not sandy. Very easy stopping when the ABS was switched off.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #95
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
I don't think anyone ever said they are all the same. I'm sure some are better than others, some probably work better on snow, some better in dirt, I have not tested them all. New ones seem to be a lot better than old ones.
But when somebody asks tips for using ABS, then somebody else tells to just switch it off, because his "had failed"?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #96
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
I'm sorry, I need no excuse, I never shot into any intersection at all. I turned off the key and stopped normally. Another time I steered over to a smoother spot and stopped normally. None of the times the braking didnt work were hard stops at all, no where near any limits of traction. No slippery surfaces involved, not wet, not oily or sandy. Just routine stops, on a routine surface, with slight braking bumps in the asphalt. The same thing happens every time on washboarded gravel roads, whether you are braking hard or just slowing down a little bit. The brakes just don't come on.
Get the hell your bike to a mechanic and let him repair it.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #97
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
But when somebody asks tips for using ABS, then somebody else tells to just switch it off, because his "had failed"?
Did someone say that? I must have missed it. What I said it that is should have a switch to allow you to disable it on the fly if needed.

The newer model (2010 or 2011, mine is a 2009) of my bike (F800GS) has this very switch, as standard equipment.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #98
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Get the hell your bike to a mechanic and let him repair it.
There's nothing wrong with it, that's how they work. I have ridden others, exactly the same.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #99
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with it, that's how they work. I have ridden others, exactly the same.
IF your description is correct, it's clearly broken. That's not how ABS works.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #100
jmq3rd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:

According to quite a number of F800 owners, that is indeed how it works on that bike. I personally don't particularly care one way or the other. If I end up with a bike with ABS, I'll test it to decide if I like it or not. If not, I'll disable it.

I wouldn't pay extra for it though.
jmq3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #101
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Again, you prove your lack of knowledge by pretending to know everything.

That is indeed how it works.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #102
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmq3rd View Post
According to quite a number of F800 owners, that is indeed how it works on that bike. I personally don't particularly care one way or the other. If I end up with a bike with ABS, I'll test it to decide if I like it or not. If not, I'll disable it.

I wouldn't pay extra for it though.
I don't disable it permanently, because it's great on snow, rain, slick surfaces in general. The slipperier the surface, the better it works. Usually I leave it on in traffic, turn it off on bumpy surfaces.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #103
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

@jmq3rd
The F800 GS' ABS was tested by the magazine "Motorrad" in 2009 and did well. I prefer trusting professionels providing actual measured data over trusting someone on the internet saying "it doesn't brake".

Really, how tkent02 describes it, no ABS is intended to work. A working ABS on a working bike wouldn't interact at all under the circumstances he describes.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #104
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
@jmq3rd
The F800 GS' ABS was tested by the magazine "Motorrad" in 2009 and did well. I prefer trusting professionels providing actual measured data over trusting someone on the internet saying "it doesn't brake".

Really, how tkent02 describes it, no ABS is intended to work. A working ABS on a working bike wouldn't interact at all under the circumstances he describes.
Again, there is no one as dumb as one who will not learn.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #105
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Again, there is no one as dumb as one who will not learn.
Now that you know you are dumb, try to do better. Do some research on ABS and learn how it works.