Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Is she genuinely interested in riding motorcycles? Solo? If so sign her up for a MSF course. If not, you'll have to get her some toys of her liking.
What about getting her own toys for herself?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,936
Sign her up for the MSF course and get her a tiddler to learn on. Mrs1911fan rides her own 650 when we go out, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's great!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Does she have any athletic skills, even as simple as bicycle riding, tennis etc? Teach her how to ride the XT.

Does she do anything involving adrenalin? Roller coasters, bedroom wrestling , etc.

Is this your idea or hers? Does she complain when you're gone? Most women don't do adrenalin, reading a book is just fine with them. My buddy and I would take a week long riding trip, once or twice a year. My wife would pat me on the butt on my way out the door and tell me to have a good time. My buddy's wife would go postal, thinking we were going on a week long fck fest at the nearest brothel.

Decades ago I was a new rider (dirt only), my girlfriend (later my wife) wanted to go for a ride. I told her right up front: "I've never ridden two up, are you sure?" As all girlfriends will do, she said yes, wanting to impress me. So we went for a ride around the parking lot and I didn't hurt either of us. We went a little farther on each ride, jeep roads first and then onto the easy single track that I usually rode. No problems, this is good. By the end of that summer, I was pushing my 360 two stroke (light & pretty fast), as fast as I could make it go, with her on the back. She had bigger balls than I did. Next summer we bought her a DT-175 and we rode the White Rim Trail, one of the biggest accomplishments of her life.

I never dropped us, she believed in my skill. Best passenger in the universe. Then she asked me for a divorce.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #19
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
I have a problem. my wife bitches and says I have too many toys and its all for me and nothing for her. which for the most part is true. but when I try to get her to ride on the back of my Dakar (to share a toy) she is scared shitless because for lack of a better word I suck at it.

so do I teach or better yet get someone else to teach her how to ride my XT? Or do I find someone to learn how to ride 2 up with that I care much less about then my wife. any volunteers?

but for real how do you safely learn to ride 2 up?
Take a class.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
HOW MUCH FUN CAN IT BE SITTING ON THE BACK OF SOMEBODY ELSES BIKE?

seriously.
Chicks are wired differently.
My wife rides her own bike on dirt roads, easy Jeep trails, forest service roads. She's pretty good at it, good enough to have fun. Will not ride in traffic. She has seen too much crap the cars try to do from the back of my bike, doesn't want any part of it. Very happy riding on the back, looking at the mountains, animals, pretty flowers, traveling long distance or just zipping around town, whatever.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #21
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
What about getting her own toys for herself?
Whatever works...tough crowd tonight.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #22
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,530
I found the Dakar to be a good 2 up bike. Stepped seat and no complaints from my passenger. I took an old girlfriend off reading in Death Valley on that thing. Somewhere out there is a piece of that rear fender deal that came off while cruising down a dirt road.

All about the comfort level of the rider with the dynamics of a passenger. Practice more.

Although my brother's old girlfriend would only ride on my bike since my brother never really became fluent in the motorcycling vernacular. He scared me when he was riding solo.

Consider setting your preload and tire pressures for the scenario and always make sure you give extra room for all maneuvers. Also focus on coming to a stop balanced and in control helps.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #23
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Have a social gathering with a friend who also has a wife and let the girls talk about riding and then ask your wife what would she like to try out, and if she is not interested, find out about something she likes and gift to her.

Take the MSF course together if she is interested.

This is a 2up lifetime riding, you got find the most comfortable ride for your wife or you be riding solo.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #24
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
There is a huge difference in who's on the back. My wife, you can't tell she's on there, ever. Even going fairly fast in the twisties, or on dirt, you can't tell. My daughter, much bigger stronger girl, is almost as good, but not quite. You can tell she's there, but it's not a problem. My other daughter, much lighter than the other two, is terrible. Pulls the bike all over the place, you just can't ever relax when she's on the back. I don't know what she's doing back there, we have talked about it, but something is different.

+1

Assuming the OP has the riding skills, all passengers are not created equal. Some you will have no idea they are there, some you wonder how the fuck that 110 pound chick is making herself feel like a 400 pound gorilla back there.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #25
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
+1

Assuming the OP has the riding skills, all passengers are not created equal. Some you will have no idea they are there, some you wonder how the fuck that 110 pound chick is making herself feel like a 400 pound gorilla back there.
And if your GF is a 400 pounder, you better hope she's one of the good ones!
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #26
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
I love riding 2up, but take it very seriously. My S/O is always wearing good gear, and I add an extra safety margin. We met riding bicycles, and I used to double her home, so riding 2up on an m/c is luxurious:) When I think about the implications, I cringe. She's fine with me riding so I never push it with her. If she doesn't want to learn to ride, I am not gonna push it. At all. She rode around a parking lot and really liked it, but I said that any training after that had to come from a professional. It's just not a priority for her. Have you asked what she would like to do? Practice is how you get better, but as mentioned before, some passengers get it, some don't. I think the more relaxed your passenger, the better. Just not drunk or asleep. That's bad. Does she ride a bicycle? It sounds more like a $ thing than a riding thing.

woofer2609 screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 08:17 AM
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #27
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
And if your GF is a 400 pounder, you better hope she's one of the good ones!

.....well you know she can cook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #28
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
.....well you know she can cook.
Around here, it's the one that doesn't know how to cook that goes up to 400lbs. McDo and the like can do wonder on the scale...
Old 02-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #29
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Dakar will be fine two-up. I and others here do it frequently, some for great distances.

Get her good safety gear. Make sure she knows the risks.

Take breaks early and often. Dessert places usually go over well.

Start out around town on quiet roads if you can. Build distance slowly. Even the best two-up bikes take some time to get used to physically.

Go the speed limit and ride extra safe.

At some point I will get a two way comm system. I like the silence; she craves words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #30
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 225
Even if she isn't interested in riding her own bike, a MSF course will help her understand what us going on with the bike. If she decides not to ride, she will still be better on the back.

The guy who taught me MSF course also did custom classes for people who already know how to ride. He would totally do a 2 up class if I asked. You might want to ask around where you are.

I ride the F650GS, and when I first bought it, my friend and I rode 2up through a nearby national monument. I think it's a great bike to ride 2up on, but if you have a top box to use as a "back rest" for her, that might help give her a little more confidence.

A word of warning here--she may LOVE riding after she takes the course. Boy did that blow up in my husbands face. I now have more bikes than he does and if we have a weekend off together and the weather is nice, I sure as hell don't stay inside and clean the house. Luckily for him, I usually let him tag along.

And if she has questions--like someone else said on here--hook her up with a woman who rides, alone or pillion. And she is always welcome to contact me.

Good luck dude.

Sent from my device upon which I can access nearly all knowledge in the world, yet which I actually use to look at pictures of motorbikes and cute dogs.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote