Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #31
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 106
Get an old iron head sportster. Set it up good and low. Mount a really comfy two up seat. If she goes 25 miles on the back, she will beg to go riding a lot.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #32
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
The trick to riding with a woman on the back is to right off get her to put her arms around you and lean into you. Then tell her to stay with you, lean as you lean. If you have a big heavy monstrosity of a motorcycle where the rider is way back there in her own seat with armrests and a beverage holder, I can't help you, you have the equivalent of a trailer. Missing the entire point.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #33
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
I have a problem. my wife bitches and says I have to many toys and its all for me and nothing for her. which for the most part is true. but when I try to get her to ride on the back of my Dakar (to share a toy) she is scared shitless because for lack of a better word I suck at it.

so do I teach or better yet get someone else to teach her how to ride my XT? Or do I find someone to learn how to ride 2 up with that I care much less about then my wife. any volunteers?

but for real how do you safely learn to ride 2 up?
IF she wants to share the moto experience with you, sign her up for a BRC and a dirt BRC. Then turn her loose in the dirt on the XT to practice. Have her practice her pavement drills until she's competent and confident at them. If she's already a good driver, then let her learn about traffic-riding strategies and have her slowly progress to heavier traffic.

If she doesn't want to ride her own bike, or regardless of that and you want to be better at hauling a passenger, I'd look for a course focused on learning to haul a passenger. If you can't find such a course nearby, start riding dirt, slowly-to-moderately, with a heavier and heavier duffel bag on the seat behind you. Load up until you can carry a military seabag PACKED full of laundry without feeling awkward. Then stand it up and use the shoulder straps. When you're comfortable riding dirt like that, perform the equivalent of a BRC range test in a wide-open paved lot with that same seabag on. Practice the drills until they seem easy like this. Then take on a well-armored passenger, and gradually move into more and more traffic.

This sounds like a lot of work, and it IS...but you asked how to do it safely. A lot of us probably started off as kids, riding bicycles, minibikes, mopeds, or dirtbikes around the farm, woods, or sleepy neighborhoods with another kid occasionally needing a short lift on the back of our 2-wheeled machine. This wasn't exactly the safest way, but many of us probably weren't exactly burning slab or negotiating city traffic the first few times we carried a passenger. We started off slow.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #34
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
The trick to riding with a woman on the back is to right off get her to put her arms around you and lean into you. Then tell her to stay with you, lean as you lean. If you have a big heavy monstrosity of a motorcycle where the rider is way back there in her own seat with armrests and a beverage holder, I can't help you, you have the equivalent of a trailer. Missing the entire point.
this is another... "yea, idk" aspect.

don't get me wrong, I'm all about the wrapping of arms (and other limbs ) around and leaning in... but for a few hundred miles?

time for the armrest and beverage holding.

just don't fall asleep.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #35
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
I'd rather she just stay put. The only person I want on the back leaning with me is another rider. After a while they get the idea that if they feel me lean forward they best follow along, but that is about it.

The one that REALLY gets me is that a lot of women have no desire to mess with things at speed when it wouldn't be an issue. When I'm traffic humping at 5mph THEN they have to putz with their boots, fuss with their gloves and whatnot.....drives me bonkers.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #36
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,525
Years ago, when I worked at an HD store on a tropical island, we sold a LOT of store logo HD shorts as souvenirs. One afternoon a beautiful Aussie woman came in and we got to talking. I picked her up after work and we went for a ride. There's a lookout with a great view that is several miles up a windy twisty road through rain forest, so I told her to hang on and off we went.
I realized a little ways in that I was going faster than I normally would, and she was practically not there. I got into one corner too hot and slid off the seat a little, and she slid right with me. Very smooth, and back onto the seat as we straightened up. Interesting. So I started charging, which was fun given that we were on a big-bore UJM that I raced once a month, on a road that I knew well, with a passenger that was totally into it, and we had a blast.
We got to the lookout and were looking around, and I complimented her on being a nice passenger. Her reply: "Well, I was this year's Aussie women's roadracing winner, so I do know how to ride."
Ego properly deflated, we talked a bit more and I just handed her the keys. Warned her about a few hazardous corners, and she took off without me for a bit of thrashing.
She came back about half an hour later with a huge grin. I don't remember her name, though I do remember what a great day we had. She was an great passenger, though!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #37
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
My wife likes to ride pillion on our KTM 990 in "vacation mode" - Interesting places, nice weather. She is not a real bike person but we have great fun together. Here's what I've learned so far:
- Smooth and steady. Gentle starts and braking; no hard shifts and arm stretching acceleration. I know it's fun for us, but not when you're on the back. If your helmets are bumping you're doing it wrong. If you can't do this, go practice.
- Put your tail bag on the bike as a sissy bar - makes a nervous pillion feel more secure.
- Get her good gear that she looks good in and keeps her comfortable. A warm wife is a happy wife - cold and wet and feeling frumpy - not so much.
- Ride to great places. I'm an adventurer, she's a tourist.
- My wife tends to move around when we're stopping (to get a better look I think), which is disconcerting for me but she can't seem to stop doing it, so I tend to put both feet down to prevent that scary wobble (it's a tall bike)
- Not too fast, and conservative in traffic. I know there are gals who like the thrill of fast aggressive riding, but my wife's not one of them.
- Our bluetooth coms are a big help.
- Twice as many rest stops as you might take on your own.
I've gotta agree that the Dakar is not the worlds best two up bike for the inexperienced - maybe you could rent or borrow a more two up friendly bike to see if she's more comfortable. My wife had her first pleasant two up experience when we rented a Harley in Hawaii - never looked back.
We're off on a ride in an hour or so. Couple of hours to a funky little town for a nice lunch, at 80 degrees F - good times!
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #38
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post

We got to the lookout and were looking around, and I complimented her on being a nice passenger. Her reply: "Well, I was this year's Aussie women's roadracing winner, so I do know how to ride."

Ego properly deflated,

She came back about half an hour later with a huge grin. I don't remember her name, though I do remember what a great day we had. She was an great passenger, though!

1911fan

Great story, thanks

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #39
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,359
My wife and I went through something similar over the last few years, and I found a couple of things that helped.

For 2-up riding:
1. Let's face it, riding pillion is boring and scary at the same time. Helmet to helmet intercoms go a long way toward alleviating the boredom. She can also let you know if you are going too fast, she needs a break, etc.

2. Work on riding smoother, not faster. If the bike feels solid under her, she won't be so skittish. It will help if you increase pre-load on the rear spring to make the bike sit just like it does when you ride solo.

Her own toys:
Are any of your toys under-used? If so, sell them to make room for her interests.

What does she want? If she just thinks you are spending too much money, and wants to remodel the kitchen, there isn't a lot of wiggle room. You'll probably have to scale back and save some dough for home upgrades.

If she isn't into motorcycle riding, you shouldn't force her. You would never forgive yourself if she rode against her will and got injured or worse. My wife wanted her own bike, so we sold my big thumper and bought her a small e-start dual sport. She loves it, but isn't very good at it. The Basic Rider Course helped a lot, but I still worry.

Maybe the answer is a cheap little sports car for her, that both of you can take on weekend trips. Mazda Miata, Audi TT, and Mini Coopers are all coming down in price. Chicks love those things, and they are a hoot to drive. As long as she is with you, nobody will question your sexuality.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #40
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conedodger View Post
I bought my wife an in-ground pool 15 years ago. She doesn't complain much anymore. She has the nieces over to swim while I go out and play.
Yeah, get them something they can entertain with. She had a boat way back in the good ole days. So, now she has a boat again. Let the good times roll.

Good boys get new motorcycles.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #41
Tweakedlogic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
You can't force it either way. My wife chides me for having 9 bikes, but lets me do it because of the little things I do that make her feel like I put her first.

She likes to do the bike night thing with me, but has no interest in long rides. I tried to teach her to ride, even built her a 250 Rebel, but she won't take it over 25 MPH. She doesn't feel comfortable when her mistake could mean her life. She trusts me to know what to do and follows my lead. The only time her presence is known is on the stock Bandit seat every time I decelerate. You could try a scooter. These are simple to operate and maintain, and will get her used to the feeling and will develop muscle memory with seat time.

I emphatically agree that solo seat time is key to 2 up control. You have to know your bike and your limits. You can practice by loading down the bike with stuff that equals her weight, like a stuffed hiking pack or bricks in a tail bag. Then ride the snot out of it. When your real skills match your perceived skills, then ask her to join you. But do not force it. If you go down and injure either of you, or simply scare her, she may make you choose between the bike or her/kids. She must feel that you both are safe or it will cause all kinds of trouble.
Tweakedlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #42
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakedlogic View Post
You could try a scooter. These are simple to operate and maintain, and will get her used to the feeling and will develop muscle memory with seat time.
Not a bad suggestion.

My wife and I have an inside joke about the time she asked why women couldn't join a church baseball team, and the coach began to tell her about this new game that uses plastic balls with holes in them, and plastic bats. I swear she was about to hit him with a real bat.

When she started riding, I asked if she wanted to start on a scooter. She scowled at me, and asked if it had storage space for a Whiffle ball bat.

Even still, she gets a bit freaked out at highway speeds, though you wouldn't know it unless you could hear her in the intercom.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #43
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
I didn't get a motorcycle to spend more time with my wife.
Earth Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #44
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
best answer yet.
my wife and i ride our own bike. we often get asked if we have bike to bike coms. stock answer:then we could just as well take the car!
farmerstu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #45
Tweakedlogic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
Tweakedlogic is offline   Reply With Quote