Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #46
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 339
I'm divorcing mine.....simple, faster and i keep the toys!!!!!!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #47
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
I'm divorcing mine.....simple, faster and i keep the toys!!!!!!
Half of them...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #48
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
If he's lucky.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #49
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
I didn't get a motorcycle to spend more time with my wife.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #50
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,823
That's both funny and sad, I think. We enjoy our solo rides, and our rides together. We have Sena SMH10Rs and often ride along chatting. I'm very happy to have a wife with common interests. We talk about what we're seeing, I warn her about hazards (I usually lead) and often she tells me where we are going to camp.
Sure, solo time is great, but so is together time. I work about 260 hours a month so our time together is limited. Weekends together are nice, weekends riding and camping together are the best.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #51
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,570
Well said, 1911.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #52
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Where I went wrong.

I get it now. When the other motorcyclist were getting run off the road, getting tickets, getting injured, I was getting girls to hop on the back, hold on tight and move with me.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #53
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Get the right gear.

The first time I took Ann for a ride it was a fairly short one. She was pretty nervous for about 15 miles, then she settled in. Once she realized she liked it I bought her some "cute" boots and a "stylish" jacket. Then I got an intercom system and she was happy that we could communicate. I gave her copies of Blue Ridge Country so she could pick out destinations. Making her part of the planning process gets her involved.

Biggest trip was to Barber Vintage festival. Did the track while we were there, she loved it. We went straight there but she picked the way back through Helen Ga. We did do Colorado but I flew her there and back. I enjoyed the quiet time out and back and she loved the mountains.

I think its all about making her part of the experience and letting her pick out her own safety gear.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #54
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
R1200rt

Forgot to mention that we ride a R1200RT. She loves the heated seat and I can adjust the windshield to her liking. I have a VStream and she likes it more than the standard.

The more comfortable your rider is the happier you both will be!!!
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #55
inline4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
Cool2 Gold Wing

Buy a Gold Wing, they have a sofa for her.

I don't have one, but the ladies love the back seat.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #56
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
My wife and I went through something similar over the last few years, and I found a couple of things that helped.

For 2-up riding:
1. Let's face it, riding pillion is boring and scary at the same time.
Not for all of us! I'm a happy passenger who is rarely bored or scared. Of course, that may be due to the fact that I'm the one who usually figures out the route, and I try to choose the wriggliest and most narrow road on the map.

I concur with having a good communications system (we listen to music but don't spend a lot of time chatting away). Other things mentioned that make for a happier passenger are good gear, having a back rest, and relatively frequent breaks. Also, I took and passed the MSF course before hopping on the back of the bike.

We have an R1200GS and have been across the country and back twice, and last summer went to Alaska. I've got a southwest trip planned for April.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #57
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
That's both funny and sad, I think. We enjoy our solo rides, and our rides together. We have Sena SMH10Rs and often ride along chatting. I'm very happy to have a wife with common interests. We talk about what we're seeing, I warn her about hazards (I usually lead) and often she tells me where we are going to camp.
Sure, solo time is great, but so is together time. I work about 260 hours a month so our time together is limited. Weekends together are nice, weekends riding and camping together are the best.

1911fan
It was just a joke. We have young children and my wife is not going to be riding with me anytime soon. She's not interested now, but maybe someday. My daughter is 7 and she loves it, though. But for now, it is my getaway.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #58
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
The size of the woman is really important.

My GF is a big girl at 6'1", I dunno how much she weighs but between 150 and 200 would be a gentlemanly guess, probably somewhere in the middle but she's over 6' and a strong woman.

I've had other girls on my bike, a legal dwarf at 4'7" that weighs 70-80 soaking wet(not weirdly proportioned, she's hot) and an average sized girl at 5'4" weighing maybe 110, a girl about 5'6" and 130, and a girl about 140.

I've found with my 220 pound ass on the bike a girl over 140 or so begins to affect the handling significantly on my KLR with hard luggage.

The dwarf girl affected the handling less than riding with a heavy backpack, I could barely tell she was there except for her pressing against my back.

So it's simple. If you have a smaller bike you simply need to get a smaller girl, or at least find one to take on rides with that bike.

If I find myself single in the future I'll be looking for a girl under 130 or so that likes to ride, bigger girls may keep you warm in the winter and make for shade in the summer, but they make the bike handle like crap.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #59
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 779
some great advice and good stories.

let me break it down for you all. I have been riding for 2 years mostly dual sport with a 60/40 split of dirt to pavement. but I have been riding and racing mountain bikes since I was a little kid and also rode and raced quads till I sold them to get dual sports.

she has rode and jumped horses competitively her whole life and can also hold her own on a manual clutch quad. plus she grew up on a farm so she is pretty tuff.

the problem lies in our driveway and any slow speed maneuvering. our driveway is about 200 yards long all gravel and the Dakar headshakes something terrible when she hops on the back and that sets the tone for the ride right off the bat. out on the open road or dirt side roads she follows right along with me and we are fine. then we get to a destination and try and park and its wobble city again.

I have tried jacking the preload up but it don't seem to help. not sure what to do? I ride it loaded up for a week trip with side boxes a top box and dry bag on the pillion seat no problem even on super sketchy stuff.

I sold her on the Dakar purchase as bike we could ride together and she is convinced that its not big enough and this and that. she has said many times she wants to learn how to ride the XT but that I am not aloud to teach her because we would just fight.

I think that I might just try and talk her into a cruiser for us to ride. we have ridden those together just fine on a few occasions. but I don't want a HD it will have to be a triumph.

and as for getting rid of my toys or buying her jewelry or a pool. none of those things are happening right now because we don't know how long we are staying in this house and she has enough shiny shit she doesn't wear! I don't even have a lot of toys (IMHO) I have my two bikes, we have a RZR900 that she loves to rip around in and I have a oversized lawn tractor that is my weekly therapy session.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #60
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
she has said many times she wants to learn how to ride the XT but that I am not aloud to teach her because we would just fight.
That happens more than you would think. Its usually not a good idea(for most couples) to teach your SO how to ride. If shes interested in riding the XT sign her up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic rider course. Let someone else do the teaching. It will be well worth the money.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote