Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
DempsterResearch OP
Researcher

Oddometer: 18
Dempster Highway Research Project

Phase 2.

Update: The Dempster Highway Adventure Motorcycle Survey is live until August 1, 2014. To fill out the survey, follow this link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Dempster

More information below (post #18)

Phase 1.
The Government of Northwest Territories' Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment is jointly undertaking a Dempster Highway Adventure Motorcycle research project with the Yukon Government. The aim of this research project is to better understand Dempster Highway adventure motorcycle riders and the services, products and infrastructural improvements that are needed to enhance or support this experience.

As most of you are aware the Government of Northwest Territories is committed to the design, development, construction and maintenance of a highway extending the Mackenzie Highway from Wrigley to the Dempster Highway, and extending the Dempster Highway from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk. When these two roads are completed, the Alaska, Campbell, Dempster, Mackenzie and Liard Highways would become an amazing gravel loop.

The first phase of our study involves a telephone interview with people who recently done the Dempster. The interview should take between 30 to 60 minutes to complete and it is confidential and no personal data will be used or shared with anyone outside the research team. A $100 VISA Gift Card will be provided as an honorarium to interview participants. The interview questions are related to all activities involved in organizing and completing a Dempster Highway motorcycle trip.

The second phase of the study will be an online survey. I will provide details of the survey later.

At this point, I would like to talk to inmates who recently rode the Dempster. Please send me a PM with the following information, if you are interested in being part of this project:

Date of travel:
Where are you from (city/province/country)

All our communication is strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone outside the research team. If you have any questions about this research project or either territorial government, please visit our websites or contact me.

Government of Northwest Territories Tourism and Parks:
http://www.iti.gov.nt.ca/sectors/tourism

Yukon Government Department of Tourism and Culture:
http://www.tc.gov.yk.ca/tourism

Thank you for your time.

Andras Lukacs
Research Analyst
Tourism and Parks
Government of the Northwest Territories
P.O. Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
T: (867) 920-3245
E: andras_lukacs@gov.nt.ca

DempsterResearch screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 02:31 PM Reason: Phase 2 link added
DempsterResearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
DempsterResearch OP
Researcher

reserved
Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
keith in alaska
Valley Gruver

Oddometer: 457
dempster project

private email sent.

Good luck with this project.

Keith Hull, owner
Alaska Motorcycle Adventures
www.rentalaska.com

www.RentAlaska.com
keith in alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Andras
I rode the Dempster in June 2012 and arranged a Spanish rider from Malaga to rent a bike here and ride it with me. It ended up 3 of us, 1 american, Canadian and Spaniard. We spent 10 days in the Yukon and NWT's.
I was so impressed I went back to the NWT's in June of 2013 this time up from Alberta and rode to all the cities in the south. I also bought a fishing licence and fished every day for 3 weeks. Went part way up to Wrigley from Ft. Simpson and did a Nahanni flight seeing with Simpson Air.
I will definitely go back to ride the new road to Tuk if it opens and if the road loops to the Dempster from Wrigley.

As it stands now the south of the NWT's is off the adventure riders radar as I only saw 1 other bike in 3 weeks in June.
By the way the fishing is the best I have ever seen, I caught and released fish every single day!!
Cal
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,965
Hi Andras,
Could you post up a map of the loop roads you are proposing and how they fit in with the existing network...

It is nice to see the Yukon government taking a pro motorcycle stance by recognizing the tourism value and actually asking for input from the riders themselves ... I wish more regions in Canada would follow suit...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 843
I'd go north again in a heartbeat! I'd take some time to hike out into the scenery off of the Dempster, something I never really had time for when I was there... I'll never forget it, that's for sure!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
revitup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Interested, PM sent.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
DempsterResearch OP
Researcher

Hi Folks,

Thank you for the interest. I'm working through your emails and messages right now and will contact you soon.

You can find more information about the MacKenzie Valley Highway here:

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages..._Overview.aspx

And a pdf file of the map:

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/docum...view%20Map.pdf

Cheers.

Andras
Old 02-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Well this looks very interesting...

So where exactly does the pavement end? Can I guy ride all the way to Tuk? Is there anything between Wrigley and Tuk? (Food, gas, shelter)

Since I hate riding on the pavement, I could see myself trucking it up to the "end of the road" then take the 690 out on the gravel and see if I could cuddle up with some *real* bears.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
DempsterResearch OP
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
So where exactly does the pavement end? Can I guy ride all the way to Tuk? Is there anything between Wrigley and Tuk? (Food, gas, shelter)
I believe 90% of the loop is gravel (everything but the Alaska Highway). There are communities between Wrigley and Inuvik: Tulita, Norman Wells and Fort Good Hope. The stretch between Good Hope and Inuvik appears to be the longest and may require extra fuel.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 323
Are the communities currently connected by any type of limited use road?
Is the plan to improve a path that exists or cut a new road, its tough to tell
with the current map link.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
DempsterResearch OP
Researcher

They are currently connected via ice-roads.

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages...onditions.aspx

I have no further information about the proposed all-weather road.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,049
Quote:
Well this looks very interesting...

The pavement ends at Klondike River Crossing and the internet remains your friend

Quote:
Since I hate riding on the pavement, I could see myself trucking it up to the "end of the road" then take the 690 out on the gravel and see if I could cuddle up with some *real* bears.
The real risk on riding in the far north is lost on most people.

First of all there is very limited help on the road. The Dalton is a virtual Interstate in comparison to the Dempster and the new road to Tuk will be even more remote.

Seeing the Emergency landing strips is sobering. Riding through the miles of heavy construction conditions brings the thought of one's mortality into clear focus on any motorcycle. Every rider has a different experience because the road changes constantly

If you get into "real trouble" it is very likely that you are now putting others at risk trying to provide help.

There is no doubt you will meet animals. I am delighted that this project is happening and riding the Dempster remains one of our greatest rides ever and I want more riders to experience it but it is far more than most riders can manage when things go wrong.

To share the beauty of the North I have started YT NWT photo thread here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954990
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.

Bill 310 screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 09:24 AM
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #14
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Calgary Herald had a 1/2 page ad this morning from the GNWT looking for civil engineers and a construction manager to help build the 140km Inuvik to Tuk road.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
This is great news, I found it a bit anti-climactic to travel all that distance and not quite make it to the Ocean. I ended up taking a flight up to Tuk.

I'd love to go back up north, especially if they build this road.

What the Dempster needs is a few more self regulated camping locations.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote