User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
Ack535
FJR Pilot

Oddometer: 93
Dziękuję za dzielenie!

No I can't speak or write Polish. I used Google Translate!
2005 FJR 1300 R.I.P. 9/2012
Ack535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 AM   #17
wilq.bb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack535 View Post
Dziękuję za dzielenie!

No I can't speak or write Polish. I used Google Translate!

Believe me - I can see it, because it's almost polish but very nice any way.

Let's go back to RR.
Next story will be divided into few parts. This time we will be riding in NE nad E part of Poland.
In June 2013 in Kal near Wegorzewo Transalp Club Poland made a big (ca 300 riders) meeting.

"Hania" (it's mean Hanna - it's name of my TA) and my tent.

Campsite in Kal

Calm water in the morning - I just like that photo.

After breakfast had chance to ride around Mazurian Lake District - there was touristic route, off road route and navigation rally. Of course I've started in the last one with friend from Warsaw (we have already started together in that kind of competition during Magar Transalp Rally (Hungary)). Organisers prepare not only very nice track but also some competition btw

Like this, other was shooting to the target in abandoned mill etc.
We have reach the finish line:

and had a great party.
As is in our (TA club) tradition group photo was made (I put link beause it's panoramical photo)
http://www.transalpclub.pl/danetcp/i...TCP-Kal-01.jpg

as You can see - there were people not only from PL, but also from Germany, Sweden, Norway and I'm not sure but probably from Hungary - just everybody is welcome.

Sudany welcome us with the rain but about 10 am weather start to be better - it's high time to start my long way back (4 days) home - You can make it in 1 day but I want to see some places, and just have a nice ride.

First day I was riding with other TA 650.
We visit Gizycko with unique turning bridge in addition its powered by human force:

Here You can see how it's work (film is not mine I just link to YT):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq8N_0Z_spQ

In Gizycko is also very interesting fortress from 19th century - called Feste Boyen

There is museum inside, but I don't have photos.

From Gizycko we went to Wilczy Szanice (Wolfsschanze) - the headquarter of Adolf Hitler in years 1941-1944. The place where attempt to kill him took place.

It's the place where bomb exploded.

Buildings hidden in forest.

Collapsed wall - pleas notice thickness of concrete (more less 2 meters)!

Other bunkers - tour around all complex it's about 1,5-2 hours.

Next place I relay want to see was Mazurian Canal - it's unfinished canal which in plans should connect Mazurian Lake District with Baltic Sea.

By the way we saw windmill:

Teutonic Knights Castel:

Old Church:

Road in the wild meadows:

And finally the Canal appear:

I saw what I want - we ride east along Russina Border:

To famous in Poland - Stanczyki Bridge:

From Stanczyki we ride to see point where 3 countries Poland, Russia and Lithuania borders meet:

You cannot cross Russian border - in moment Russian solders will appear and You have to pay high ticket - even that photo is a bit illegal

5 km later we stop in Wizajny (it's village called polish pole of cold) in place called "U Pani Krysi" - it's agroturistic hostel with amazing regional food - if You go there ask for "Kartacze" yummmie.

And map in the end - toady we were riding in that region:

It will be continued.
wilq.bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #18
Czawaj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
O witam witam!

Fajne przygody, świetnie się ogląda i czyta!
Oczywiście będę tu zaglądał!

Pozdrowienia także z Krakowa

Tomek
Czawaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #19
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,436
What a healthy looking group in the linked photo. I'd be the guy on the left with a cast.

Watched a couple of Stanczyki Bridge vids on utube. That is a very impressive piece of work for the early 20th century.

Teutonic Knights were sent by the Vatican out of Germany(forgot the city) to convert the pagan Prussians.
Deals were struck, conversions made.

(Side note: My father's name was Norbert and he acted so holy my mother called him St. Norbert )

Looking forward to more. Thanks in advance.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #20
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,962
Poland - what a fascinating and tragic history you have!

When I was serving with the US Marines we met some Poles serving in the Royal Marines. Their parents had flown their aircraft to Great Britain when the Nazis invaded, and continued to fight the Germans in the RAF. It was fascinating to hear their longing for their native Poland, even though all had been born in the UK.

I had always hoped to visit someday when the Iron Curtain fell
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 AM   #21
wilq.bb OP
Adventurer

NE corner of Polnad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
I had always hoped to visit someday when the Iron Curtain fell
Iron Coutrain fell 25 years ago - long time, if You really want to visit PL You are welcome - if You have question about... travel, tracks, places must see etc fell free to ask - I do my best to answer.

Let's go back to RR.

In the morning I opened my eyes and see heave rain - I'm not in hurry, I will ride..but about 11am weather start to be better - so, I've started engine.
First point on my list - must see was Cisowa Gora - Yew Mountain. It has very characteristic shape - something like volcanic cone and it's great spot to see surroundings.

First You have walk to the top.

Than You can see:

Next point on my list is orthodox church in small vilige Wodzilki

Suwalszczyzna (name of that region where we are now) is very hilly and beauty even during rain:

This like You can see on the first look is not special - but it's Hancza Lake - it's the deepest lake in Polnad (a bit more than 106 meters of deep)

You can ride around it on tracks like this:

Now I ride to the NE point - border with Lithuania but notice how nice that region is:

Pass next to forgotten cementary:

And it is - border:

Along border is nice, new tarmac:

Perfect adv track:

After dinner I ride to Wigierski National Park.
It's view form my hostel balcony:

In the end of the day clouds went out, and Sun was shining - I've made nice long walk around.

Half an hour later sun set, I had a local beer - next nice day of travel finished.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #22
wimj
Wannabee adventurer

Oddometer: 105
One day...

I will visit Poland, never thought about it but after reading your RR and seeing the pictures I made up my mind.
Thanks for the report!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:12 AM   #23
wilq.bb OP
Adventurer

Let's go!!

Sorry I had very hard week at work that the reason of long break in RR.

We finished on the bank of Wigry Lake, so next day started with visit in Wigry Monastery.

View from clock tower:

Main church:

After that I ride to Sejny ( there is also very famous church, but I don't have nice photo). From Sejny I started to ride in direction of Augustowski Canal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August%C3%B3w_Canal

Suwlaszczyzna (it's name of the region) is amazing, fields, forests, lakes - just perfect territory for ADV:

Nice gravel highways:

That region was importat (we are about 5 km from border with Belarus) during September Campaign (first month II WW) - me can met some monument and places of memory:

And again nice tracks:

Finally - there is one leg of Canal:

Main leg, and one of many locks:

Churches by the way:

Canal is border. On the left side Belarus - right Poland

Me :)

Border lock:

Low water side of lock (Belarus)

Other lock:

Where I should go?

I don't know why, but for me it the best foto of 2013 season:

Manor house, where the direction of Augustowski Canal works:

Night I spent in this same place like the previous one - near Wigry.

Edit:
I forgot to place the map:

wilq.bb screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 12:38 AM
Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #24
Viking from Denmark
VikingRider

Oddometer: 20
Thumb

Nice Pictures and stories :-)
Viking from Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #25
Wal2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
nice pics, thanks for posting, great to see some of Poland.....
Wal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #26
wilq.bb OP
Adventurer

Along east border

Let's start next day.

I wake up early - breakfast and go.
First few km was boring - main road, but of course there was adventure
When I was tuning left I rolled TA - exactly in the middle of crossroad and I blocked main road between PL and LT. Driver of truck want to help me, but before he want out of cabin of his MAN, bike was horizontal - any way sometime there are situation when You can get help.

I left main roads and proper tracks for me started.

Again small church in village:

Next very important point is here:

This small (here) river is Biebrza - river which makes a lot of swamps, oxbow etc... try to google for : Biebrza or Biebrzański Park Narodowy.

Surface change:

Again churches - one catholic second orthodox.

Villages lost somewhere in the meadows:

Gravel highway again:

Orthodox church

Catholic one

Next photo need some explain - You can see dircetion Palestyna it's in polish Palestine :) - just 0,5 km.

Tatatr mosque in Sokolka:

Windmill (rest of) somewhere by the way:

Some village:

Highway again

In one moment I spoted HD biker cleaning his jeans and bike from dust - I ask what happen - he try to turn round but rolled bike and now have problem. Some screws get loos in addition he has no tolls (and knowledge). Of course I have - I've service HD - we had a "lunch" in front of local shop - that situation make me fell that something like bikers spirit exist - one day I help You - second one You help me.

Other orthodox church:

The most famous Tatar mosque in Poland - Kruszyniany:

Here I mat rider on XJ - short talk, where are You going etc - we had exactly this same plans - we will ride together, but first dinner in Tatar restaurant and lest go:

Near Boborowniki we divided - XJ rider need petrol, so ride on tarmac - I choose gravel.

We set meeting place near nice church:

We ride to Siemianowka Lake:

In Białowieża we found camp site - buy some local beer and had long riders talks.

Map of today:
Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #27
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 504
Great report and photos! Love the building designs! Thanks!

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #28
NonstopBanana
Thumper Rider

Oddometer: 129
Great stuff, thanks so much for sharing!
NonstopBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #29
Jim K in PA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
Thank you for the great pictures, reference maps, and explanations. My grandparents grew up in Poland. They are gone now, but I heard many stories about city life (Warsaw - grandma) and country/farm life (Dziadzia). I still have relations there, of course (Dzik and Korczak).

I hope my Sicilian wife and I can explore there someday.
Viktor - Coming to a thread near you - eventually
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:02 AM   #30
wilq.bb OP
Adventurer

Bialowieza is in heart od Bialowieski National Park - they protect old natural forest (only one in Europe that in kind) and also polish Bison (Żubr).
Morning welcome us with sun - so lets go :)

There is one spot called "place of power" after testing local beers we need power, so we ride through forest:

Park our bikes and have a walk to "Miejsce mocy" - place of power:

Full of positive energy we want to see bisons:

Few km later we decided to say "goodbay" - ride in other dirctions. There is beautiful legal road across national park - I like it :

I get main road (for a moment - to get petrol), and returned on small one:

Visit small villages:

Chapels lost in forest:

With next photo funny (but also quite serious story is connected). As You can see (or read) I have garmin etrex venture model with internal memory only. In that place where the photo was taken maps finished - I need to connect gps with PC in the middle of nowhere (technically no problem) - You can see laptop connected - maps were uploading, but there was only one but... we are 200m from border with Belarus. In moment when I made that photo border guards came - I had to explain what am I doing - and in first moment they don't believe.

Everything finished fine I was able to ride further. I want to see some orthodox churches:

Last gravel highway during that nice trip:

Last spot which was on my list "must see" was Grabarka - this the most importat place for polish orthodox, also called "mount of crosses".
If You want to thanks God or ask for something You have to carry cross (like Jesus) to the top:

I ride to Mielnik (to see orthodox church - but after that nice wooden - concrete is nothing special):

Short break on bank of Bug river:

It was ca 2 p.m. - and if I wanted I was able to ride stight home (I will be in Krakow about 10 p.m), but what for I have one spear day, so take a look on the map and I made decision. Today I ride only to Warka (campsite which I visti every summer - there is a big kayaking meeting).
By the way there is place called Jezural - but in Polnad is known as Wilkowyje - its arena of very famous and very nice sitcom called Rancho (You can what it here http://ranczo.tvp.pl/, but it is only in polish.
Church in "Wilkowyje"

and the the most famous small shop in PL and bench:

As I planed I sleept in Warka on campsite http://www.kemping-nad-pilica.pl/.

Map as usual:

About noon I was back home in Krakow - nice trip was finished, but it is not the end of polish adventures.