User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
PEI or Nova Scotia......for 1 week trip

Hello great white northerners. I'm planning a trip to either Nova Scotia or PEI. I will be travelling from Maine and only have 1 week. I was wondering which would be the better trip. Discuss.....

Thanks in advance.

-Derek
dhilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:19 AM   #2
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
The Province of PEI is fairly small in size. It is a little expensive, and there isn't that much to see. I have been going there every year for a motorcycle rally for a weekend just the same. I show up at a Harley like rally on a XR400 just for fun. There is a $$ charge to cross the bridge, I forget what for a bike, I'm thinking $19 but could be wrong. The people on the island of PEI are really friendly and helpful.

There is supposed to be a new ferry service from Maine to Yarmouth N.S. starting this year. That maybe worth a look see. Lots of others here will chime in this is a common subject on here. Have a good visit to the area.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:20 AM   #3
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
I guess the first question would be, "What kind of riding are you doing?" and the second "What do you want to see?" Give us that info and we can all start giving some better advice. Nova Scotia in a week isn't really practical - and if you want to go to PEI, as beautiful as it is - your choices range from Theme Parks to Beaches.

Soooo... whaddya wanna do?
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
Pay Dirt
panning the web

Oddometer: 301
In my mind there is no question, Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail regardless of what you're riding.. PEI is quaint but the trail is spectacular; Camp at the top...Meat Cove, you won't be dissapointed!!

PD
Pay Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,830
Stained makes good points and there are several ways to skin this cat. I'll throw one out there via all pavement.

Take the ferry to Yarmouth
ride the south east coast thru Lunenburg and Peggys Cove into Halifax
Halifax to Dartmouth thru Lawerancetown up the East coast till you turn inwards into Antigonish
Enter Cape Breton and around the Cabot counter clockwise
Return to the mainland NS and get to Parsborough
Take the Wood Island ferry to PEI
Play around PEI for a day then take the Confederation Bridge into NB

Hope this helps, good luck

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
If you're coming from maine do both. You can ride most of PEI in one day and 3 -4 days will cover most of NS. The cost last year of the bridge for a bike was 27.00 and change, I think the ferry is the same. You only pay to get off the island. That's a lot of money to visit one big tourist trap but there are some neat areas. The ferry is in a different location than the bridge so you can take the bridge from NB and get the ferry to Pictou NS.
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,295
Do you like fresh oysters??? If so PEI for some Malpeques on the dock. Bring Tabasco and fresh lemons.

Darn...been a long time. Maybe next summer????
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,703
I'm from PEI originally, with lots of family in NS. Do both. 2-3 days on PEI and the rest in NS.

On PEI consider staying in smaller, family owned motels or B&B's. The locals can tell you the best places to see and go to, and where to get a feed of local shellfish, etc. The people are amazing, but if you're just passing through it's harder to get past the "you're a tourist" shell. A local recommendation from someone can make a big difference in how you're treated, or some other connection to PEI can start conversations. Tip: the south shore beaches are warmer and more sheltered than the more touristy north shore ones.

In Nova Scotia the must sees are the Cabot Trail loop of Cape Breton (if you can get good weather), Halifax, the south shore/Peggys Cove and the Annapolis Valley. You can probably squeeze those in a few days.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Maggot's plan is a good suggestion, but I think he meant to say Pictou instead of Parrsboro (sp). You may want to check out dualsport.ca for some ideas and local intel, and also check out some of Kelsow's excellent reports both there and here on ADV.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
Maggot's plan is a good suggestion, but I think he meant to say Pictou instead of Parrsboro (sp). You may want to check out dualsport.ca for some ideas and local intel, and also check out some of Kelsow's excellent reports both there and here on ADV.
Correct Pictou. Been away from NS for 5 years now, I think with every bottle of NF Screech I drink since being away, I forget more about it.

To the op, for each leg mentioned, most can be done in a half day along with eating some seafood, taking some pics and having a brew.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
falcofred
aka Beer Scout

Oddometer: 195
I'm planning a Father/Son trip to Nova Scotia for July of this year. We'll be trucking from TN up to Stowe VT and riding from there across NH and into Maine avoiding asphalt as much as possible. After spending one night in Maine we ride to St. Andrews or St. John and spend the night, then we are riding the Fundy trail, see the tide, Hopewell Rocks and stuff. Then onto Nova Scotia along the Northcumberland Shore and then onto Cape Breton Island and the Cabot Trail.
We'll be on DR650s. Looking forward to scenic rides and lots of seafood and beer. I'd also like to take a zodiac whale watching trip. I'm taking two weeks vacation to do this.
Any suggestions on routes from locals appreciated.

2010 Ducati Multistrada, 2007 KTM Superduke, 2005 DR650
falcofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Thanks everyone. I wasn't getting any updates to this thread so I didn't think anyone responded. Silly me. :-)

As for what I am looking for. I will be riding a KLR with a friend that will be on a Tiger. So, mostly pavement but no issues with getting off the beaten path and hit some dirt, but won't be doing anything too rough.

We are looking for scenery for the most part. Good camping. Not interested in tourist traps or lounging on the beach. Pretty much want to have good riding and sights to see.

I know a week isn't very long for NS, but maybe consolidate the best routes and sights and fit in as much as we can. I have done a 900 mile trip on the coast of Maine on a bicycle in just over a week so I have seen all that so we will cruise pretty quick to NB. So we could probably have 4-5 days to explore Nova Scotia or PEI.

Looks like the new Ferry from Portland will be expensive. Could be close to $400 round trip with a vehicle. So, I'd rather lose some time and ride.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcofred View Post
I'm planning a Father/Son trip to Nova Scotia for July of this year. We'll be trucking from TN up to Stowe VT and riding from there across NH and into Maine avoiding asphalt as much as possible. After spending one night in Maine we ride to St. Andrews or St. John and spend the night, then we are riding the Fundy trail, see the tide, Hopewell Rocks and stuff. Then onto Nova Scotia along the Northcumberland Shore and then onto Cape Breton Island and the Cabot Trail.
We'll be on DR650s. Looking forward to scenic rides and lots of seafood and beer. I'd also like to take a zodiac whale watching trip. I'm taking two weeks vacation to do this.
I'm going in Aug. but if you want suggestions on Vt/NH/Maine roads or need a stop over in the midcoast area of Maine, let me know!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Ravenmad
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm from PEI, a lifetime ago. i agree with a couple others here to do the bridge-ferry route. i use this site for route ideas http://www.motowhere.com/
it has gps tracks and google earth tours. highway conditions, traffic etc.

have fun and safe travels
Ravenmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcofred View Post

To see the Rocks you need to know the tide times. It is good if you could see them at high tide and than at low tide to appreciate the tides differences. If you could see the Rocks close to night time, sleep and come back in the morning that would save a little time waiting around. If you need tires Moncton has some of the lowest cost in the area. You can get a good map from MapArt Publishing called Atlantic Canada Back Road Atlas. It is basically county maps made small. It is possible to go on backroads and logging roads from Saint John to Fundy Park entrance. Fundy Park/Alma is a nice little area, there isn't much at the Rocks site area. Hillsbrough is the nearest town or Moncton.

I think you have a good plan.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote