Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #16
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhilt View Post
Thanks everyone. I wasn't getting any updates to this thread so I didn't think anyone responded. Silly me. :-)

We are looking for scenery for the most part. Good camping. Not interested in tourist traps or lounging on the beach. Pretty much want to have good riding and sights to see.

Looks like the new Ferry from Portland will be expensive. Could be close to $400 round trip with a vehicle. So, I'd rather lose some time and ride.
The island of PEI is a tourist trap in my humble opinion. It's main business is tourists and of course potatoes, fields and fields of potatoes. You of course could take the loop that has been discussed above, wouldn't add a lot of time to your trip. For a motor biker there isn't a lot to see on the island.

Regards to the ferry cost, you would only take it one way. You would come back by road. It gives you a chance to see a part of NS that you would otherwise not see.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #17
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
The island of PEI is a tourist trap in my humble opinion. It's main business is tourists and of course potatoes, fields and fields of potatoes. You of course could take the loop that has been discussed above, wouldn't add a lot of time to your trip. For a motor biker there isn't a lot to see on the island.

Regards to the ferry cost, you would only take it one way. You would come back by road. It gives you a chance to see a part of NS that you would otherwise not see.
Thanks! Good idea about the Ferry, one way. Could be a good option.
dhilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 226
I would recommend Nova Scotia over PEI for sure.
A week riding around the back roads would not disappoint, and with a whole week to explore - well, I'm jealous.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #19
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingtazz View Post
I would recommend Nova Scotia over PEI for sure.
A week riding around the back roads would not disappoint, and with a whole week to explore - well, I'm jealous.
No need to skip PEI though, on the way back from CB get the one way ferry to the island, spend a day playing around then cross the bridge the next day. Very little time would be lost as one is still travelling in the right direction. He'll get to see some of PEI, while having an opportunity of crossing the bridge.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #20
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

The bridge is impressive in a way but while on the bridge you can see nothing. Like being on a highway. I think your 300 feet in the air but you wouldn't know it from what you see on the bridge. I guess you can see a little but not much, see a bit of water etc. It is a remarkable engineering feet though.
2004 Honda XR400R
Old 02-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
dhilt OP
Adventurer

I think a day cruising around PEI could be arranged. I don't know anything about this bridge you speak of, but sounds intriguing. I think I will plan on most of the time on NS and a day to tour PEI. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. If anyone has specifics on where to go and what to see...I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Derek
Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #22
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
The bridge is impressive in a way but while on the bridge you can see nothing. Like being on a highway. I think your 300 feet in the air but you wouldn't know it from what you see on the bridge. I guess you can see a little but not much, see a bit of water etc. It is a remarkable engineering feet though.
+1 on the bridge crossing.

Check out the end of my ride report - there's pictures of crossing the bridge.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #23
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
River Hebert, Advocate Harbour, Parrsboro loop, 'nuf said. Fantastic roads, great scenery, particularly along the Parrsboro coast, and most importantly, virtually NO traffic. If you want to explore backlands, turn left at any time and head into the hills for miles and miles of logging roads criss-crossing the penisula. Stop at Cape D'Or lighthouse for supper, and authentic lighthouse on the Bay of Fundy with a spectacular restaurant. All it takes is a hard right turn at Amherst.

The Confederation bridge is very cool if you enjoy engineering wonders. To me it's worth the side trip by itself.

Cape George, near Antigonish (on the way to CB) is also a worthy detour. Cabot trail is very nice, but congested. I'd avoid weekends. If you camp in Meat Cove and early morning start down the west side the Cheticamp will help minimize the "anti destination league" crowd.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #24
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
River Hebert, Advocate Harbour, Parrsboro loop, 'nuf said. Fantastic roads, great scenery, particularly along the Parrsboro coast, and most importantly, virtually NO traffic. If you want to explore backlands, turn left at any time and head into the hills for miles and miles of logging roads criss-crossing the penisula. Stop at Cape D'Or lighthouse for supper, and authentic lighthouse on the Bay of Fundy with a spectacular restaurant. All it takes is a hard right turn at Amherst.

The Confederation bridge is very cool if you enjoy engineering wonders. To me it's worth the side trip by itself.

Cape George, near Antigonish (on the way to CB) is also a worthy detour. Cabot trail is very nice, but congested. I'd avoid weekends. If you camp in Meat Cove and early morning start down the west side the Cheticamp will help minimize the "anti destination league" crowd.
Sounds great. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #25
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 478
Have you considered the dirt logging road that goes up to Cape Clear? Good way to get off the highway in Cape Breton and see the interior of the highlands. You enter at Maragree Forks area and can exit at Wreck Cove or Cheticamp and continue on to Meat Cove. Cape Clear is a great spot to spend a night.
Directions in are easily found on Google.

The roads are well marked for snowmobilers

The main road is in good shape, easy riding

Cape Clear

fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #26
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

PEI is worth visiting, not for a week though, a day or two max. You only pay to leave PEI so it doesn't matter if you take the bridge or ferry, price difference is negligible. Most travellers I know go through Cape Breton, take the ferry to PEI on the way back through, then take the bridge to New Brunswick to get off the island.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #27
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Quote:
To see the Rocks you need to know the tide times. It is good if you could see them at high tide and than at low tide to appreciate the tides differences. If you could see the Rocks close to night time, sleep and come back in the morning that would save a little time waiting around. If you need tires Moncton has some of the lowest cost in the area. You can get a good map from MapArt Publishing called Atlantic Canada Back Road Atlas. It is basically county maps made small. It is possible to go on backroads and logging roads from Saint John to Fundy Park entrance. Fundy Park/Alma is a nice little area, there isn't much at the Rocks site area. Hillsbrough is the nearest town or Moncton.

I think you have a good plan.
Add to that, it is a money trap to get to the rocks, you can see the tide at any fishing port along the road and use the money for something else.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #28
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Fredgreen: Great Pics. We will check out those dirt roads! Sweet!!! Thanks!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #29
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhilt View Post
Fredgreen: Great Pics. We will check out those dirt roads! Sweet!!! Thanks!
You're welcome. If you decide to go up there and need better directions, just post it and I (or another local) will help you out. Cheers
Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #30
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Add to that, it is a money trap to get to the rocks, you can see the tide at any fishing port along the road and use the money for something else.
The Rocks are just along the side of the road north of Fundy Park. I suppose there is a charge to get in, haven't been there for a couple dozen years. The attraction is the huge mushroom shaped rocks. If you go there do not get caught out by the tide, it comes in fast and can trap you.
http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/
2004 Honda XR400R