Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #31
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
The Rocks are just along the side of the road north of Fundy Park. I suppose there is a charge to get in, haven't been there for a couple dozen years. The attraction is the huge mushroom shaped rocks. If you go there do not get caught out by the tide, it comes in fast and can trap you.
http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/
I was there in the fall, they indeed charge. I hate paying to see nature, so I Boycott these tourist traps. Plenty of places to see the tide's rise and fall.
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #32
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I checked out the website and saw the video of the rocks. Very cool, but I think the video was enough. Looks crowded. Probably can skip that huh.

Thanks for sending the link though. I have never seen that before. We might do a drive by and see how busy it is.
dhilt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #33
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
It is out of the way for sure. It depends if you take the ferry from Maine to Yarmouth or come by road both ways. The area west of Fundy Park is the longest undeveloped shore line in North America or the Eastern sea board. http://www.canadacool.com/COOLFACTS/...undyTrail.html

It is neat to see the tide, they are said to be the highest in the world. But you can see the tides in many places along the Fundy shore. Best effect is far inland as you can get. The way they fish around Saint John is shove sticks in the sand and put nets on the sticks, than when the tide is out ride around in a old wagon and pick the fish off the nets. At one time it was horse and wagon.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #34
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

Oddometer: 197
I grew up in PEI, live in NB, and ride central NS extensively every year scouting for rallies.

My advice:

Cross in Calais, follow Fundy coast as far as Saint John, then follow Saint John River or Kennebecasis river on the 700 or 800 series of roads, work your way towards Moncton. Take back roads to Sackville, head down through Parrsboro loop, head back up north in Truro so you get the Cape George loop in, then work your way towards Cape Breton.

On way back home, detour to PEI via ferry, leave by bridge. It's a lot cheaper to leave by the Bridge, contrary to what others say here. If time is limited, limit your PEI travels to a day. Best roads on the island are on the southwest end, but there is still some fun stuff between Ch'town and Summerside.

You can find some more information in the Discover Your Roads section here - it's mostly towards the bottom. There is touring information on NB, NS and PEI there, including some interesting stops, side trips, and pretty good roads.
Kawazacky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #35
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,435
Definitely NS over PEI.

If you do both I would suggest saving PEI for the return. If it gets tossed overboard due to lack of time you won't have missed much. Ferry on, bridge off.

Another option to NS is cross from Lubec over to Campobello then to Deer Island to NB. Head to St John and take the ferry over to Digby. Breaks up the NB slab-fest a little bit.

Don't forget the time change as you cross over. Begins to mean something when it comes to ferry schedules. DAMHIK.

Cabot Trail. Camping at Meat Cove is a 'must do'.

Halifax is actually a cool city to stop in if you can.

A week is plenty of time if you keep moving.

Make sure you try the fish cakes and chow.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #36
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawazacky View Post
I grew up in PEI, live in NB, and ride central NS extensively every year scouting for rallies.

My advice:

Cross in Calais, follow Fundy coast as far as Saint John, then follow Saint John River or Kennebecasis river on the 700 or 800 series of roads, work your way towards Moncton. Take back roads to Sackville, head down through Parrsboro loop, head back up north in Truro so you get the Cape George loop in, then work your way towards Cape Breton.

On way back home, detour to PEI via ferry, leave by bridge. It's a lot cheaper to leave by the Bridge, contrary to what others say here. If time is limited, limit your PEI travels to a day. Best roads on the island are on the southwest end, but there is still some fun stuff between Ch'town and Summerside.

You can find some more information in the Discover Your Roads section here - it's mostly towards the bottom. There is touring information on NB, NS and PEI there, including some interesting stops, side trips, and pretty good roads.
I just finished my preliminary route and it is just about the exact route you suggested. Thanks to everyone here for all the tips. I did realize that I can't see it all in 6 days (which includes 2 travel days to get to NS and back). So I actually only have 4 days to explore. I won't be able to see much of the southern part of NS but think I am hitting the best of the North and Central areas, plus a full day on PEI to check it out.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #37
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
I think you don't have enough time for seeing all you want to see. You could do what almost everyone else does and super slab it through New Brunswick and get to Nova Scotia. You could turn left at Amherst Nova Scotia and go down the coastal route to Cape Breton or stay on the slab and get there a few hours quicker. Once you have done the Cabbot Trail than you decide what to do next. Halifax is a cool city to visit if the weather is good. The distance in the area are not great but back roads are slow, SLOW.

Bottom line is you should come, you will enjoy the hell out of the area. You will be back and than you can see more of the area and it's features.

EDIT: If you went the speed limit from the USA boarder through N.B. to N.S it would take >3.5 hours. It takes about 2.0 hours at the speed limit to the turn off to Cabbot Trail. Than it is single lane highway so all bets are off as to time. Up to that point it is all divided highway at 65 (110 KM/HR) MPH speed limit. Police enforcement is spotty, almost not there most of the time, most people don't speed the cops have given up more or less. You are safe at 6 MPH over the posted speed limit, maybe a bit more.
2004 Honda XR400R

JimmieA screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 01:10 PM
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #38
wr37
Woods Racer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhilt View Post
I just finished my preliminary route and it is just about the exact route you suggested. Thanks to everyone here for all the tips. I did realize that I can't see it all in 6 days (which includes 2 travel days to get to NS and back). So I actually only have 4 days to explore. I won't be able to see much of the southern part of NS but think I am hitting the best of the North and Central areas, plus a full day on PEI to check it out.
Here are a few of the sights on the Fundy Coast form St. Stephen to St. John. But you could slab it if you want.

St. Andrews

St.George

Lepreau Falls

Maces Bay
Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #39
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Great pics. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #40
wr37
Woods Racer

We got some cool dirt too.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #41
dhilt OP
Adventurer

those dirt roads look better than the paved ones here in Maine
Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #42
wr37
Woods Racer

I'm cheating a bit with the bottom pic, the road only goes a mile or so like that.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #43
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Come visit our island...we are pretty nice here and as with any place there can be positives and negatives to visiting anywhere.

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #44
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,694
Just don't discount New Brunswick as part of your route. If you consider NB as the "Drive Thru" Province, you're doing it wrong.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #45
dhilt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO1MX View Post
Come visit our island...we are pretty nice here and as with any place there can be positives and negatives to visiting anywhere.
Dan, I bet you all are very nice. I can't wait to check it out. Thanks.