ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #76
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,798
I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself but, this really is freak weather. If today is gloomy and cloudy and you enjoy Yosemite, this is an option:

Blow off Death Valley. Return through Yosemite after Mammoth Lakes. See it all again. The weather forecast for TOMORROW is supposed to be sunny and 70-80s.

Oakhurst back to Oceanside is 345 miles (5 hours). It's mostly rural interstate after Fresno. Not as scenic as Death Valley but, it will give you a second day in Yosemite. Not the worst way to spend a day. In case the weather turned out really bad for you, this is what the valley looks like on a good day. By the time you read this, you'll remember this corner:

Yeah, you're going through Los Angeles but, if you plan to be back to Oakhurst about 4:00 PM, you'd hit the very start of Los Angeles at 8:00 PM--after the traffic window. 1 to 1.5 hours of LA freeway and you're in Oceanside at 9:00 PM.

It's 78 and raining in Death Valley right now. Man, you have the luck. The hottest, driest place in North America and you're dancing with thunderstorms!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are no reliable weather forecasts for Death Valley itself. Stovepipe Wells has the only weather station and their forecasting is all screwed up (says it's going to be 62 today, even though it's already 78!).

Other weather reports for the park are based on nearby deserts but, not in the park. They're all forecasting high 80s and patchy clouds tomorrow. That may make for some outstanding pictures and at least the weather won't be too hot. Another good option.

So you actually have two good choices for tomorrow. By the time you read this, Yosemite will be in the bag. I hope it delivered for you.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #77
nhbubba OP
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 423
It delivered huge. Weather was great. Slight panik when I arrived at the turnoff for the pass and there was an enormous sign saying CLOSED! Turns out it had just reopened (just for me).

Yosemite is crazy. Tioga pass is even more nuts though. Oh man! This is livin'.

All went to plan. Flurries up in the pass, but nothing sticking. Rain @ june lake and some squirrelly tires, but we handled it. I must have pulled over to layer up or down 500 times today. Only problem to report is they want $5/gal for regular in Lee Vining. I coasted into mammoth and will pay their resort prices instead.

Occurred to me today that I have not oiled the chain on this thing. I should probably do that.

Death valley tomorrow come hell or ... dare I say it ... high water.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #78
nhbubba OP
Internet Tough Guy

Did I not post this spotwalla thing? My bad.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...0eb5818&p=kali

Using the free bubbler gps app for my phone. When offline it only does like 5 points. But whatever. Neat tech stuff.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #79
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Only problem to report is they want $5/gal for regular in Lee Vining. I coasted into mammoth and will pay their resort prices instead.

Death valley tomorrow come hell or ...
Here's fuel in DV 2 weeks ago

At the intersection of 395 & 136(Lone Pine), your most likely turn-off for DV, there is a very informative visitor center. Take a moment and check it out.

I've been enjoying tagging along! Best to you on the continued travels.

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #80
nhbubba OP
Internet Tough Guy

That just ain't right!

Reason #985 it pays to be on two wheels. Although this tiger 800 is a thirsty girl.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #81
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Death valley tomorrow come hell or ... dare I say it ... high water.
It may come to that. We literally had the most insane monsoon thunderstorm of the year TODAY! The whole eastern CA desert has been hit today.

My guess for Death Valley tomorrow, based on nearby weather stations and today's temp at Stovepipe Wells (91), I'm going to guess patchy clouds and 95. Should be fairly good weather for DV in late May.

Any idea what time you're rolling out of Mammoth tomorrow? Morning temp is supposed to be 39. It'll warm up quickly after sunrise.

When you start south out of Bishop, you're going to be riding immediately below the eastern flank of the Sierra Nevada range. There are a bunch of 13-14K foot peaks, including Mt Whitney, above Lone Pine (where you'll turn off for DV). The morning sun against those mountains is amazing.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #82
nhbubba OP
Internet Tough Guy

This 'spensive hotel I splurged on has breakfast at 7. So I probably won't be moving until 7:30 at the earliest. It will be what it is.

Looking over the maps again. Tomorrow is gonna be a slog by the end. That's a lotta saddle time. Especially leaving that late.

Do or die. Do or die.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:34 AM   #83
nhbubba OP
Internet Tough Guy

Made it. That was a long ride. Spent the evening catching up with my friend in oceanside. Some of these clothes are fit to be burned now; I sweat like a pig in that death valley heat. But all went to plan.

nhbubba screwed with this post 05-24-2014 at 09:16 AM
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #84
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

It's going to actually be 5 degrees hotter today and 5 more tomorrow. You got off easy.

Did you make it to Dante's View? Where else did you stop?

Yeah, those distances look easy on the map but, it's a long, long way.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #85
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Made it. That was a long ride. Spent the evening catching up with my friend in oceanside. Some of these clothes are fit to be burned now; I sweat like a pig in that death valley heat. But all went to plan.
Nice!

Now which way?

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #86
nhbubba OP
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
It's going to actually be 5 degrees hotter today and 5 more tomorrow. You got off easy.

Did you make it to Dante's View? Where else did you stop?

Yeah, those distances look easy on the map but, it's a long, long way.
Dantes yes. Not many other stops. Was a man on a mission. I have never ridden such a straight road as that bit of 127. And are they kidding with the 55mph limit?
Old 05-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #87
nhbubba OP
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Nice!

Now which way?
Home to save up for the next trip. Or find a job in cali.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #88
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Dantes yes. Not many other stops. Was a man on a mission. I have never ridden such a straight road as that bit of 127. And are they kidding with the 55mph limit?
Dante's View is a big deal. Did you loop back down and bag Badwater? At least stop for a picture of yourself in front of the sign? Artist's Drive? Even if you just did Badwater road, you got to see much of the valley. I hope you didn't bail out to Death Valley Junction because that just added to...

...that long stretch of 127. If it's clear, it's scenic. Did you see the huge sand dunes off to your left as you headed south? It was gorgeous about a month ago.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. I almost rode out to stalk you on Friday (I was off) but, I figured you were hustling it back to Oceanside and didn't need a tour guide slowing you down with every trivial stop.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #89
nhbubba OP
Internet Tough Guy

When I get back to a real keyboard (on a tablet here) I'll do a real ride report. I did dante. But did not hike around much. I did badwater. No time for artists. Did jubile pass and then 127 to 15. Saw the dunes; straight out of egypt. Wild. Past san bernardino everything went numb and it was jusr 'slab. Now I'm checking out the california beach girls in this infamous 50-60-F, overcast sd weather. Tomorrow I fly back to reality.

Awesome trip can not thank you enough for the pointers.

nhbubba screwed with this post 05-25-2014 at 07:43 AM
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #90
nhbubba OP
Internet Tough Guy

Took me a while, but I finally posted an RR here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985873

Huge thanks to Donkey Hotey. You da man, man!