ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
Stel67 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thinking about going racing..

I have been ridding dirt bikes since I was a kid. Never took it to serious just love to ride. I have never rode in any type of race ever. I am getting older now (43) and I am wanting to try a race before it gets to late. I was looking at http://weberacing.com seems they have a novice class for 40 plus riders. Kinda looking for some input on others who have raced this. Would this be a good experience for a novice rider who has never raced? I do not expect to be very competitive but I do enjoy competition and the thought of ridding in a event seems real exciting. Again I have no clue how these things work and just looking form some friendly advice, like what to bring to the race as far as equipment gear and the like. Would be ridding my 2012 ktm 300 xcw

Mike

Stel67 screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 09:15 AM
Stel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 660
Pick a local event and go for it. This is also being discussed here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951092

Would it be a good experience for a novice racer? IMO, without a doubt! I started racing at 30YO and as a result have met some of my closest friends through those experiences... GO FOR IT!
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,410
WEBE would be a great place to start. They are a well organized group.

If you can, attend a race as either a spectator or pit support. Being familiar with the format will help keep you calm on your raceday. Good Luck!
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post

Would it be a good experience for a novice racer? IMO, without a doubt! I started racing at 30YO and as a result have met some of my closest friends through those experiences... GO FOR IT!
+1 I raced when I was younger and stopped when I had kids. Stupid, I know, but I started back up at 44yrs old and have been back at it for 3 years now. Check out the CORCS series as well www.corcs.net

I have raced the WEBE series, RMEC series, and the CORCS series for the past 3 years. Terrain on the WEBE races is a bit more rough than the CORCS series and their "C" class (novice) riders are faster in general. There is no disputing that the WEBE series is well run. The first time I showed up to one, I thought I had gone to a national. When I saw Ian Blythe for the first time, I was convinced that he is simply not human.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
...If you can, attend a race as either a spectator or pit support. Being familiar with the format will help keep you calm on your raceday. Good Luck!
Or better yet, volunteer to work a race. It is a good behind the scenes way to determine what it takes to enter, compete, and to finish by watching others (and their mistakes). Hanging out with organizers and other workers will give you insight into the committment and preparation needed before entering a race blindly.

I worked an SCCA road race, and found out that the Formula Ford races live up to their carnage reputation. I worked some MRA road races and found out it is harder than it looks - and every time I was there, someone was helicoptered out. I worked a motocross race a long time ago, and discovered that "old" riders over 30 had a rough time. But it all was a lot of fun, and definitely a learning experience.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Tfogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I've got a couple of buddies that are trying to talk me into racing at the Hare Scramble at Berthoud in March...we'll see how the stars align.
www.tfogwheelsports.com
85 XT350,04 WR250,87 VFR700 (75k miles and counting),01 FZ1 (54K miles and RIP )
Tfogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Toby-CO
Noob is accurate

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfogger View Post
I've got a couple of buddies that are trying to talk me into racing at the Hare Scramble at Berthoud in March...we'll see how the stars align.
Give it a shot. I'm 41 and never raced until this year. I enter the Senior C class and finish middle of the pack and that's just fine. I just want to ride in the winter and this has been great so far, temps at the coldest race which was held (been a couple of postponements) has been low 40's, which is OK when you're pushing hard. The atmosphere is not aggressive, most people are in the same boat, racing for fun and the really fast guys, and there are some, are around you and gone before you know it. Give it a shot
Toby-CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,536
Do it!

Only one way to find out if you enjoy it or not.

There's a pretty strong chance I'll give the snocross/hillcross track a shot in a month or so. I know my sled and I will pass tech, and ... well, why not? They've got a slow-guy-long-track class for a reason, right?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Do it!

Only one way to find out if you enjoy it or not.
^ This. Just make sure your bike is in good shape, grab your gear and a camelback, and enjoy. Sign up for C class and just go with the mindset of finishing and having fun. Rmec, Corcs, Webe.. whatever. My only advice would be to avoid a desert race for your first time unless you're conditioned to hours of relentless whoop pounding.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Stel67 OP
Adventurer

What exactly do they check as for a tech inspection? Does the bike have to be fully saftey wired?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stel67 View Post
What exactly do they check as for a tech inspection? Does the bike have to be fully saftey wired?
You wheeled it in without it falling apart.

For the RMEC ones, it's typically to ensure you have current reg stickers and a USFS approved spark arrestor since most the races are on public lands.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,536
Snowmobile racing requires a working tether on the sled. If the sled's running, that tether had better be attached to a body on it. Some orgs require a snow flap that hits the ground. Check the org's rulebook for studs, track length, number slze/position/colors, ear pro, or any other requirements.
You .... need a helmet/eye pro, vest+shoulder pads, and knee guards. Depending on the org, they may require 144-orange on your body, and/or 50% orange helmet. Neck brace is required for ISOC-sanctioned events as of the 12-13 season. Again, see the rulebook for track/org specifics.
Vest is required if you're on the track at all... 144-orange is recommended, though not always required. I haven't had a problem with my black/red jacket, but I do throw my race pullover in the truck just in case. Then again, RMSR's a pretty small org right now, there's a lot of rules they kind of look the other way on. If they were to enforce every ISOC rule, they'd DQ all but maybe two or three racers. Bigger races like the Jackson hillclimbs are a lot more strict on the rules.

Motorcycles .... does it run? Sparky's the only thing I've ever heard of. May need some more guards for things like ice racing. The track may have sound level maximums.
Helmet and eye pro... other than that, gear's probably up to you. My (albeit limited) experience with moto racing is that the rules there are fairly relaxed, especially compared to snowmobile race orgs. They can get downright nutty about gear/equipment/safety, but then again they're dealing with 400+lb machines pushing 150hp.

Pay attention at the riders meeting. If you've got a question, ask it.
Hold your lines.
The faster guys will find a way around you.
Ride hard, but ride in control. Don't be a danger to yourself or others.
Watch the flaggers.
Rubbing is racing.
And have fun.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #13
Dozer Dillon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post

Merf,

Shave a couple of years off of the age you started racing. You talked me into racing my 1st race at Pikes Peak Enduro in 1987 and I think you had raced before that in Texasss. Anyway Merf and I were around 28 and raced for the next 20+ years.

Utah Shared Alliance

Blue Ribbon

COHVCO

GRMA
Dozer Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer Dillon View Post
Merf,

Shave a couple of years off of the age you started racing. You talked me into racing my 1st race at Pikes Peak Enduro in 1987 and I think you had raced before that in Texasss. Anyway Merf and I were around 28 and raced for the next 20+ years.
Sorry, I didn't count riding an XL250 with street tires on it, "racing"... hell, I *thought* I was racing but I was so, very, unclear on the concept... LOL

My actual first Colorado race was the Swan Fork Enduro... IIRC, I spent the evening of the Pikes Peak Enduro in the ER getting my knee scrubbed out and stitched up... as an aside, that was the very first time the "New England Section" of what is now 717, was run. Aaron Danis (if memory serves) put that trail in just for that race...
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
Stel67 OP
Adventurer

Is this the one you are talking about?
http://www.vdrmx.com/
Looks like it is this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfogger View Post