User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
fatboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Texas dealership ?

I have been to 2 ktm dealerships in central Texas. Neither one of them sell twins. Where is everyone finding bikes? I can only find off-road thumpers and have yet to see a dual sport. Does anyone know of a ktm dealership that sells all the ktm models?
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Achange
New and Improved

Oddometer: 123
Cycle Town South

1620 S. I-35E
Lancaster, TX 75146

Owner - Curtis White
972-230-1870

Located just south of Dallas and well worth the trip.

Life Doesn't Suck
Achange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achange
1620 S. I-35E
Lancaster, TX 75146

Owner - Curtis White
972-230-1870

Located just south of Dallas and well worth the trip.
THE best.

Hands down.

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #4
fatboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely go check them out.
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
kerker
Escape Artist

Oddometer: 42
What achange and scottr said, Curtis is the best. Whatever you do, DON"T let TJ's work on it. They (Brian) gave me my 950 in pieces when they couldn't fix it and charged me $70 for one hour labor while it was under warranty. As it turns out, they created the problem doing the 600mi. service. The tech/janitor/dog connected the right side tank vent to the fuel pump vent which caused the fuel pump to fail intermittently. Also the valves were way too tight and I (among others who shall remain nameless) suspect the 600 mi. service was not done correctly either. Curtis did a complete 600mi. service, replaced the fuel pump and KTM picked up the tab since I was not the first person to bring in a bike that TJs could not repair. And no Im not bitter at TJs. They just dont have any business working on a 950.
kerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
scottr
Banned

Talking

Dog I love the internet. s can't get away with their anymore.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
TEXASYETI
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,881
Fellow Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
Dog I love the internet. s can't get away with their anymore.

Scott, give me a shout (PM) when you get ready to go. I'm in Arlington amd have been wanting to go check them out. Be nice to meet another Adv'er in the area.

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #8
AndrewY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
TJ s again

Hmmmmm.... I bought my 950 from TJs used. It had problems: a rear brake that dragged (they replaced it at no cost after repeated attempts to fix it), the battery was marginal and died after two rides, and the fuel pump died after about ten rides. Since I bought the bike "as is" I guess I can't complain, but now one of the posts on this thread worries me: MY bike had the fuel pump breather routed to the right side tank breather as well. So, when I installed the new fuel pump, I just duplicated this. What, then, is the correct routing for the fuel pump breather?
AndrewY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #9
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating

Oddometer: 515
KTM has 2 types of MC dealership options - one for the small, off-road bikes only, that DOESN'T include the LC4s or LC8s, or any street-legal bikes; and one that covers the whole line. Cycle Town South is a full - line dealership.
I have had mixed experience with Curtis - he is not an "over & above the call of duty" guy, but if you stay on top of what you need done, it gets done right. He basically has a monopoly on the LC4/LC8 market in Texas (other than Houston or Lubbock), so take that into consideration. Curtis rides a 950 Adv, so he ain't no fool.

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #10
kerker
Escape Artist

Oddometer: 42
Good point soundasleeprecording, but I still won't take my 300exc to TJ's for service. I am still pissed about taking a fully functional working bike in for repair, under warranty, receiving it back in pieces, non-functional and charged for the service. Maybe I just have issues.

Hampsterboy,
Basically from what I remember Curtis showing me (he had/has a 950 on the showroom floor w/ the tanks off) the fuel pump vent has a tube that is tie strapped to the frame. It goes up the frame for a few inches and loops back down. I believe it is routed this way to keep water out when you ride streams and such. The tank vent goes down in between the clutch cover and the motor cover that protrudes in front of it. I hope this helps
kerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
AndrewY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thanks, just in time!

I'm putting everything back together right now. And, as I'm doing this, I wonder: why do the tanks have a top vent (right near the turn signals) and a lower vent halfway down the tank?

Just asking.
AndrewY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
The vents hoses at the front of the tank and looped up thru the fairings are the tank vents. I cut out the inside liner of the fairings near the elbow and ran those two hoses to a " T " in the center than ran a hose up to the top of the fairings and put a vent cap from an MX bike on it . A lot of people leave it short and put a vent cap directly at the elbow . This makes it a lot easyer to remove the fairings with out a hose looped thru it , also with a little triming you can put a spare tube in each fairing . You just have to remember witch side the front is in and witch side is the back . Or take both sides off like I do . The vent on the inside of the tank further back is the drain for the gas cap reccess , if you overfill or splash a little gas it will drain thru that hose , it should drain out the bottom under the bike . The fuelpump drain is a safty , if the pump seals fail the gas should drain away from the engine , If it does you need a pump anyway . Hope this helps . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #13
scottr
Banned

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAREERSTDNT
Scott, give me a shout (PM) when you get ready to go. I'm in Arlington amd have been wanting to go check them out. Be nice to meet another Adv'er in the area.
So sorry. I missed your post. Was up there all day today. Picked up my bike. Will be back up there Thursday most likely for first service.

Lets try again.