Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #16
Toi OP
-

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
Wow...you have one set of BIG balls. I wish you the best and wish I was going with you. Be safe.

Johnnydarock
Thanks Johnny... I measured them and they look quite normal.
I will have a satellite phone, that is a good insurance. The main risk is to break the bike, or to loose it in a river before the Bering. If I don't reach Alaska because of such an issue, I will not be too frustrated, even if I have spent a lot of time to prepare this trip. This preparation is already a nice experience. Trying something new is already a pleasure.
Toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #17
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Is there a way you can send packages to a certain town that you can pick up when you get there? Maybe a hotel? You can hotel it a night to do laundry and get decent rest before pushing on.

When you start your trip, it is unlikely that you will need all of the same gear as when you end your trip.

Figuring out about where you will be and what the weather is at that time might help you pack lighter instead of taking it all with you for the whole trip.

That is just me thinking about solutions to the trip concerns. Riding a bike is fun. Riding a bike so loaded down it feels like a big truck isn't as fun.

I think your trip sounds exciting and it has been fun for me to think about it and research it some.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #18
Toi OP
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Is there a way you can send packages to a certain town that you can pick up when you get there? Maybe a hotel? You can hotel it a night to do laundry and get decent rest before pushing on.

When you start your trip, it is unlikely that you will need all of the same gear as when you end your trip.

Figuring out about where you will be and what the weather is at that time might help you pack lighter instead of taking it all with you for the whole trip.

That is just me thinking about solutions to the trip concerns. Riding a bike is fun. Riding a bike so loaded down it feels like a big truck isn't as fun.

I think your trip sounds exciting and it has been fun for me to think about it and research it some.
I will contact some friends in Russia (I already rode to Vladisvostok 3 years ago) to try to find a contact either in Ulan Ude or Yakoutsk. The idea would be to ship a spare-tire (and possibly some other spare parts) before riding the unpaved "road of bones". On the principle, I know that the frame of this bike is weak, but I would like to carry everything from home, just to prove that it is possible. It's quite heavy, but similar to the weight of a passenger. When I was in Patagonia, my daughter joined me (with her luggage), and was my passenger on a TT600 for 2 weeks of unpaved road (Ruta 40 then Carretera Austral). That was not a problem neither for the bike, nor for me.
Anyway, you are right: the lighter is the safer when riding. But I will not be only on road, and I need specific equipment for water.
Another possibility would be a trailer, but I don't like this idea.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #19
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,503
How are you going to cool the radiator? And how are you going to carry all that weight on a motorcycle without a subframe?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #20
Toi OP
-

Quote:
How are you going to cool the radiator?
It’s still an active issue for me. I already got the red light while trying to plan on a lake. It occurred only once, in a winter day… I was pushing the engine too far and too long.
On the other hand, the temperature in Siberia is cool, even in summer (I expect an average temperature lower than 10°C). And I am still optimizing the propulsion system to go as fast as possible while consuming as low as possible. I still have 10 weeks to reach this target. If I am successful, I believe that I will not need to improve the existing cooling system.
If extra cooling is mandatory, I will have a small spray (for plants). On the boat, I will have time to spray water on the engine/radiator…

Quote:
And how are you going to carry all that weight on a motorcycle without a subframe?
Again an active issue. I assume that if the bike has been designed to carry a passenger, it could carry this load. But it's probably too optimistic.

Now, most of the weight is in/on the panniers that are supported by the rack. The rack passes a part of the weight to the tank, and the remainder to lower part of the frame. I am thinking about transferring some of the load from the tank to the frame through the rack.

Some numbers:

• the boat: 28kg
  • the propulsion system: 15kg
  • the pipes to suspend the bikes on the boat: 5kg
The main issue will be between Bilibino and Egvekinot where I will have to carry a lot of petrol. I am confident for the rest of the trip.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #21
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
This is insane

Can you ship the floating rig to the egde of the continent rather than hauling it all the way?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #22
Toi OP
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
This is insane

Can you ship the floating rig to the egde of the continent rather than hauling it all the way?
Probably I could ship most of this stuff to Egvekinot (at least to Anadyr), but I don't want. I am much more interested by the global trip, than by just crossing a strait. It will be nice to explain to the people I will meet what contains the big bag I carry.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #23
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
How are you going to cool the radiator?
I had the same question.
My 690 is overheating in speeds under 30km/h. Can you reach a speed like that? And get a proper air flow through the radiator? I don't think that spraying water will do any difference.
Anyhow I like your idea, and I'll be follow your progress.
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:08 AM   #24
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Radiator : since you will sail in surely not hot water, why for the longer stretches just dismount the radiator , with longer tubes and submerge it in the water? maybe partially , because the cooling power of coolant/water is much more than coolant/air
Thinking again, could be enough also just a single cooling tube as a loop into the water - maybe set as a bypass using two three-way valves
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #25
Mishutka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Adventure first grade!

ps
Can help with the logistics of spare parts shipments from Moscow towards Chita, Yakutsk, Magadan and Vladivostok.
If you need information or advice please contact me.
Mishutka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #26
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 787
Why not simply ship all the 'amphibian" components to a location near the Bering Straight? That will aloow to travel lighter a enjoy the trip till you get there...

BTW I spent my teenage years in Grenoble, from 1976 to 1979 and only have good memories. Studied at Lycée Emmanuel Mounier. Haven't returned in 25 years...
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 787
Why not simply ship all the 'amphibian" components to a location near the Bering Straight? That will aloow to travel lighter a enjoy the trip till you get there... OUPS!!! Looks like some other members have suggested the same...

BTW I spent my teenage years in Grenoble, from 1976 to 1979 and only have good memories. Studied at Lycée Emmanuel Mounier. Haven't returned in 25 years...
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #28
Toi OP
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishutka View Post
Adventure first grade!

ps
Can help with the logistics of spare parts shipments from Moscow towards Chita, Yakutsk, Magadan and Vladivostok.
If you need information or advice please contact me.
Thank you for your offer. I will contact you by PM. Having a few spare parts (tire/chain/sprocket) in Chita would be great. I have also some good friends at the Vladivostok motoclub (I spent 10 days there in 2010) but I believe it will be too far from my road.

Quote:
Why not simply ship all the 'amphibian" components to a location near the Bering Straight?
Definitely, my pleasure is to travel, not to sail... I will be happier if I succeed to reach the Bering strait from Western Europe than if I succeed to cross it. But I like the combination.

Quote:
My 690 is overheating in speeds under 30km/h.
At the moment I don't go that fast (I still hope to improve my speed before my departure). As answered before, the ambiant temperature at the Bering strait is quite cool, and this is a good advantage. During my trials on a lake (mostly in winter), I don't have so often the fan running.
I had the same idea about derivating my coolant circuit through the water, but I am afraid about the complexity (is the pump strong enough for a longer circuit?). Perhaps I should investigate further if I have the time before I leave. I was also thinking about keeping some water in a "big bag", disassembling the radiator from the bike, and putting it in the bag without modifying the tubes...
Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #29
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toi View Post
I had the same idea about derivating my coolant circuit through the water, but I am afraid about the complexity (is the pump strong enough for a longer circuit?). Perhaps I should investigate further if I have the time before I leave. .
The pump is strong enough to push the coolant through the radiator and the engine , lot of small passages etc. , don't think that will have problems .
I would put two three-way valves to the inlet port of radiator - where hot fluid go into, and connect a 1-metre silicone hose , then go to the nearest ford, stop in the water, put the bypass hose in the water and run the engine checking the temperature (maybe with the radiator cap/temperature gauge, available as an add-on) you'll see fast if it works or not.

KTM 690 rear tank/subframe is notorious for breaking the supports even riding alone with bags - look into Walter Colebatch report on his ride with the russians where its well explained which pieces break and how to solve.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #30
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toi View Post

When I was in Patagonia, my daughter joined me (with her luggage), and was my passenger on a TT600 for 2 weeks of unpaved road (Ruta 40 then Carretera Austral). That was not a problem neither for the bike, nor for me.
I'd be using a DR650 ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote