Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #31
IvanRUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Monsieur, I also advise an unnecessary burden on the Russian transport company, here is a simple and inexpensive between major cities. I usually send a motorcycle from Murmansk to Vladikavkaz, the price along with packaging 200$.
And I think the Russian Maritime Security Service will not release such "ship" at sea.

With my regards, Ivan

IvanRUS screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 02:00 AM
IvanRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #32
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toi View Post

At the moment I don't go that fast (I still hope to improve my speed before my departure). As answered before, the ambiant temperature at the Bering strait is quite cool, and this is a good advantage. During my trials on a lake (mostly in winter), I don't have so often the fan running.
I had the same idea about derivating my coolant circuit through the water, but I am afraid about the complexity (is the pump strong enough for a longer circuit?). Perhaps I should investigate further if I have the time before I leave. I was also thinking about keeping some water in a "big bag", disassembling the radiator from the bike, and putting it in the bag without modifying the tubes...
Extra fan? It's not that big (heavy) or complicated to instal (detachable that would run all the time) .
If my math is correct you will be sailing for at least 10 hours?
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #33
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
I am SO in on this one...

Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #34
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
What can I say other than SUBSCRIBED to this thread and I wish you the best of luck! When you make your way down thru British Columbia I will extend the invitation to use my shop for what ever maintenance you may need.

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #35
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Subscribed!!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #36
Toi OP
-

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by francs View Post
Extra fan? It's not that big (heavy) or complicated to instal (detachable that would run all the time) .
If my math is correct you will be sailing for at least 10 hours?
At the moment, I am supposed to "leave officially" Russia from Provideniya that is still 250km to the strait (350km to Alaska). It's a pure administrative issue (the closest location with border guards). But I still hope to negotiate some arrangements for intermediate stops).

Right now, I am not fast enough: easy to reach 8-10km/h (5-6kts), but more difficult to go faster (or I consume too much petrol and have the engine overheated). Once, it has been possible to plane and to reach 30km/h (18 kts), but a belt broke after a few hundred meters. Now, I am much more confident about the overall reliability, but unfortunately, I can't plan anymore... I hope to solve this problem in the next 2-3 weeks. perhaps earlier.

I will investigate the cooling solution as soon as I will have fixed the speed issue. Thanks to everybody for your ideas. I have now several things to test: derivation through external water, immersing the radiator in a water container, or adding another fan.

Toi screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 10:26 AM
Toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #37
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Is there any way to add a small heat exchanger on the bike coolant hose and run a second radiator in the ocean/lake/river you are on? Or quick disconnects from the bike coolant system, to a second radiator immersed in the ocean/lake/river?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #38
Angus1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Simply spraying cool sea water over the radiator should work, evaporative cooling can be pretty effective. Then either have a pump to remove water from the boat, or get a self draining boat, one of which is probably a good idea anyway given the time you'll be spending on the water.

A dry suit may be an idea as well, worst comes to worst and you fall in, 10c water feels very cold very quickly.

Definitely watching this one

Vietnam and Cambodia 2013
Angus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #39
Toi OP
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus1 View Post
Simply spraying cool sea water over the radiator should work, evaporative cooling can be pretty effective. Then either have a pump to remove water from the boat, or get a self draining boat, one of which is probably a good idea anyway given the time you'll be spending on the water.

A dry suit may be an idea as well, worst comes to worst and you fall in, 10c water feels very cold very quickly.

Definitely watching this one
I am already equiped with a (mandatoy) drysuit, and with a small spray that I can screw on a coca cola bottle. It could be sufficent, but it's not very convenient : I still don't know how often I need to spray, and I don't like so much the idea of spraying salty water. It's why I will investigate also the other solutions.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #40
Angus1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toi View Post
I am already equiped with a (mandatoy) drysuit, and with a small spray that I can screw on a coca cola bottle. It could be sufficent, but it's not very convenient : I still don't know how often I need to spray, and I don't like so much the idea of spraying salty water. It's why I will investigate also the other solutions.

Windscreen washer pump should run off 12v, maybe enough flow?

Vietnam and Cambodia 2013
Angus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #41
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Eek Holly Batman

You are a MAD man
This will be Epic
I am soooooooooo in
Subscribed
Sir you have a safe trip
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #42
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I saw "the video" , you should probably optimize the underwater part of the thrust to go faster (a shape like outboard motors have) .
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #43
Toi OP
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by francs View Post
I saw "the video" , you should probably optimize the underwater part of the thrust to go faster (a shape like outboard motors have) .
I am not a boat expert and I am still learning very slowly. In the next few days, I will try some new configurations: new propeller with a smaller pitch (10" instead of 12"), better orientation for the anti-cavitation plate that goes over the propeller, and the main change: the position (deepness) of the propeller is now easily tunable (before I had to replace the belt to lower/upper the propeller block). I will experiment these changes in the next few days.
If it still does not plane, it would be probably because of the cavitation due to the air brought by the belt. In this case I would try to improve this part (but don't know exactely how).

Quote:
When you make your way down thru British Columbia I will extend the invitation to use my shop for what ever maintenance you may need.
Thanks. I will do the best I can to visit you. We are almost neighbors, just a ride between us.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #44
RandyReider
Kind of a Big Deal

Oddometer: 140
This plan is absolutely badass. LOVE it. I know nothing about boating, but I'll pass along something from a convo with another rider who did something similar.

A few years ago I was crossing the Darien gap from panama to Colombia and happened upon another rider who had just made the journey...in a raft powered by his motorbike. Their plan seemed really haphazard and jerry rigged, but the bottom line is that powering the boat messed up the transmissions on 2 of the 3 bikes.

I wish I knew more details, but unfortunately I don't. I imagine the difference in torque and resistance on the transmission was really hard on it.

I'm no mechanic, but worth considering! Sounds like an amazing adventure. Can't wait to hear about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 03-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #45
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyReider View Post
A few years ago I was crossing the Darien gap from panama to Colombia and happened upon another rider who had just made the journey...in a raft powered by his motorbike. Their plan seemed really haphazard and jerry rigged, but the bottom line is that powering the boat messed up the transmissions on 2 of the 3 bikes.

I wish I knew more details, but unfortunately I don't. I imagine the difference in torque and resistance on the transmission was really hard on it.
I believe that would be Four strokes of Luck

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 11:08 AM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote