User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
canoeguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I want to cross rivers...tell me how.

So let's talk about river/creek water crossings. I want some advice on techniques and some idea of how deep I can push my KLR(up to the intake I assume).

So "slow and steady" or "hold my beer and watch this"

And..... go...
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeguy View Post
So let's talk about river/creek water crossings. I want some advice on techniques and some idea of how deep I can push my KLR(up to the intake I assume).
Put the bike in your canoe.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
canoeguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Put the bike in your canoe.
There is barely room for me in there! I am a white water boater...but I like your thinking.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Ive done many creek crossings in my 40 years of trail riding,they can go smoothly or the wrong rock can be found at just the wrong time and you can be swimming, with no bike visible in a matter of seconds.
I personally will go almost any amount of distance to avoid deep water crossings,they can be a deal ender if the bike sucks too much water.
Especially a 4 stroke.

Normal 1.5' of water splash through crossings are no biggie.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
There is barely room for me in there! I am a white water boater...but I like your thinking.
You got the wrong sort of canoe then - I put my Yamaha in a dugout canoe to cross the Bangui river from the C.A.R. to the Congo, fast flowing, deep and wide.

Lots of dugouts for rent on the banks of the river so no need to carry one with you on top of the bike.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,429
Talking Dakar 2014

Sometimes you just can't help but get wet.
This is how the best in the world do it:
http://youtu.be/EQHqXSn2MMI
Old 02-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
You got the wrong sort of canoe then - I put my Yamaha in a dugout canoe to cross the Bangui river from the C.A.R. to the Congo, fast flowing, deep and wide.

Lots of dugouts for rent on the banks of the river so no need to carry one with you on top of the bike.
yabba, yabba, we want to see that.
Can we? Please, please, can we?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,023
Your odds of succeeding improve if you can see the bottom.
If in doubt walk the crossing first. Sure your boots will get wet but, that is better than pushing your drowned out bike for miles with wet boots. Or possibly spending an hour disassembling your bike to get the water out.

Otherwise, if you are skilled, just carry your speed and let momentum and your ability to react get you thru.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
canoeguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Your odds of succeeding improve if you can see the bottom.
If in doubt walk the crossing first. Sure your boots will get wet but, that is better than pushing your drowned out bike for miles with wet boots. Or possibly spending an hour disassembling your bike to get the water out.

Otherwise, if you are skilled, just carry your speed and let momentum and your ability to react get you thru.
So let's talk about what to do in the case of drawing in water. Obviously kill the bike as soon as possible. So where do I go from there. Not having horizontal heads on my thumper makes pulling the plug and draining water impossible.

Any good sources for obtaining a base knowledge on some enduro skills to apply to adv riding?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
Quote:
So let's talk about what to do in the case of drawing in water. Obviously kill the bike as soon as possible. So where do I go from there. Not having horizontal heads on my thumper makes pulling the plug and draining water impossible.

Any good sources for obtaining a base knowledge on some enduro skills to apply to adv riding?
Just go riding with some of the people on here that do this stuff all the time.

Really nothing to it up to the gas tank. If the bike is set up for it, you don't find a deeper spot, and you don't hit that big rock.

And if there's not much current. Or too slippery. Or the bank is too steep.

Slip the clutch, you can't go fast enough in deep water to keep the engine running without slipping the clutch. Keep it reved up some, it takes quite a bit of power to go forward, even slowly.

Was riding with this one guy, makes a big deal about this big water crossing, scouted it out to see where it was deepest, but we couldn't see it. Muddy water, thin film of ice on top, a few chunks of wood stuck in the ice. Didn't look like much but he was concerned. Finally he went, and got across with dry rims. Two inches deep, max.

The opposite has happened too, you get in there and find out it was much deeper than you thought… This probably happens a lot more often.

Have ridden a 1976 Honda 750 up to the gas tank for about a mile, down a flooded highway, back in about 1978. It ran fine.

tkent02 screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 06:05 PM
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
The most important rule in deep water crossing.

1. Always let someone else go first
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
bigdog99
CJ's bitch

Oddometer: 267
Much technique depends on what you're doing. If you're on an "adventure" ride, alone, far from help, and -have- to cross, then I'd probably park and walk through the crossing with a stick, etc. and find out just how deep it is. If it's too deep to ride, you can often "push" it down stream-ish with the engine idling or off, and the bike leaned against your hip. If you're out with your buddies, then the "hold my beer..." method can make for a fun afternoon. Cover the kill swith with your thumb, if the engine intakes water under power it's easy to bend a rod.

Early season scoured rocks or sand: easier
Late season mud and mossy bottom: put on your snorkel
bigdog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,834
Quote:

So "slow and steady" or "hold my beer and watch this"

And..... go...
The others covered many good points. Generally:

- Ride with others.
- Let somebody else go first.
- Scout it out on foot first, otherwise.
- Carry a tow rope/strap.
- Give it a bit of gas.
- Cover the killswitch and push it if the intake is going under. Drain the airbox and blow out the cylinder before trying to restart.
- Pull the sparkplugs and crank it to blow out water.
- Check your oil for water contamination.
- Be mindful of crocs/gators, snakes, hippos, or other critters that may not like you in their swimming hole.
- If it's moving fast, even if it's pretty shallow and just up to the pegs, consider your other options. Fast-moving water can be very dangerous.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237

Well, obviously not like this.

Or like this.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #15
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote