ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #31
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post
It sounds like you're saying "Utah is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." Is it easy to explain why not? It looks great on paper - what am I missing?

St George and Reno are a lot different to ME, too. You're seeing the difference between my wife's preference (Reno) and mine (Cedar City, UT). I'm a little wigged out to live in a place with legal prostitution and gambling, she thinks we'd be "freaks" in UT because we're not LDS...or church-goers at all, FTM.

Your wife answered the question for me. Your not LDS or church goers. St. George is probably better than some areas in Utah.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #32
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,144
I'm not offended, I just thought his initial wording was a bit rough. You really need to come visit these areas more to get a feel for what works for you, what is important. Anything will come with change, but I don't see any of these areas as somewhere hard to fit in. With the Mormon thing, some towns may be more exclusive. Might be harder to break into some of the social circles not being in the "church", from what I have been told. Moab doesn't have that feel, to me at least, but it is not exactly a mecca of great job opportunities either.
I have always liked Flagstaff when going through. Big enough to have a good variety of opportunities, and a lot of recreation and open space around it, from mountains to desert.

What type of job are you looking for, ideally? That may narrow down your search a bit as well.

Good luck in your relocation!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #33
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,078
No thanks. . . we're all full out here!!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #34
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Colorado is a place where you can fulfill most of your adventurous. Boating is ok.....but as far as moto go...for three months a year...nothing beats it.

If I could change one thing out here, it would be the weather. It can be nice. It can also be bone chilling cold, brutally hot, windy, snowy...etc. All in one day. Paint jobs fade fast if not garaged. Hail damage is a way of life...etc. Folks flee to the mountains on hot days or inside with industrial AC. I like summers here...at 8500 feet or higher. School buses here...many have limo tint. I have used AC in every month of the year.

That said, everyone who has visited me here from other states loves the place. I think most of it is the mountains and the wide open spaces. The sense of adventure and wide open spaces/places with a hospital on every corner.

However, Colorado is popular and as long as the Left Coast and East Coast transplants are not allowed to tax the hell out of everything...we might just remain popular. That said, we are losing the tax battle. Give it a few decades and taxes will double. Same for every other freedom...there seems to be a war on that too....but you are from PA so probably used to that.

It's a nice place with mostly accepting people-don't take this forum as a sample size. Most everyone I have met is from somewhere else. It's a transplant state. Colorado still has a "bootstrap" kind of feel to it. Not like Oregon where I came from where a application for foodstamps practically comes in your "welcome to the state" packet.

Depending on which County move to...will dictate the mood of the place. I like Douglas...but get annoyed at how much money and things drive the area along with the hatred of any new idea. Want the diversity of life, mountains, hippies, taxes and Priuses? Boulder county is your new home. Want something in between? Your choice is here. Colorado isn't (yet) homogenous...

Come on out and bring your sense of adventure and motorcycle. It's a great place. Just make sure to pack gloves, sunscreen, force field, jacket, pants, umbrella, shorts in your panniers. :)

MeterPig screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 10:54 AM
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #35
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post
It sounds like you're saying "Utah is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." Is it easy to explain why not? It looks great on paper - what am I missing?

St George and Reno are a lot different to ME, too. You're seeing the difference between my wife's preference (Reno) and mine (Cedar City, UT). I'm a little wigged out to live in a place with legal prostitution and gambling, she thinks we'd be "freaks" in UT because we're not LDS...or church-goers at all, FTM.
Marijuana is legal in CO and there have been some fairly strict firearms regulations put on the books recently. Gambling is legal on on the Ute and Navajo Nations within the state. I'm sure someone is working on the prostitution bit. The John Wayne movie "The Cowboys" was partially filmed near where I grew up in Pagosa Springs. Many of the counties, cities, streets, and landmarks have Espanol names, as do many of the residents. You likely wouldn't be able to get directions to a restaurant two towns over without having to hear some Spanish.

Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #36
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
I'm from Delaware.

Colorado is not a low to zero snow state.
Even on the warmer front range, there are still plenty of winter storms with sometimes deep snow that lasts. Unlike the mtns, however, it does warm back up and melt out...but there can always be another storm. Expect a wide variation in daily temps over the winter.

I'll give ya my perfect.
-Summer & fall in Steamboat, Crested Butte or Telluride...ideally rotating to the next one each year.
-Winter & spring on the west coast of Mexico (from Sayulita south to Zipolite). 80s daytime, 60s night, sunny & no rain, beaches bikinis and beers. That's not gonna happen in Colo., unless you count some end of the ski season partying.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 01:49 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #37
eakins
Butler Maps

9. Low culture shock - no hablo Espanol. Tambien no se hippy, Mormon, or cowboy.

sorry you're not gonna find your ultimate white chocolate melting pot out here and the places that are closer to that also are much colder and snowier.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #38
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Your wife answered the question for me. Your not LDS or church goers. St. George is probably better than some areas in Utah.
I was in St George not long ago. It's very LDS influenced or you are a snowbird and there for the season only and not really part of the community. If you live full time expect alot of LDS interaction as it's where mormons live when they hate cold and snow.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #39
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Your considering moving back to the 1950's I assume?

Not sure how the latest time travel machine is coming along.

(dont even consider nor-cal,nothing to be seen here,keep moving)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #40
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
northern new mexico such as Santa Fe is a pretty good match for your criteria.
i don't think he likes places where people are not all white & like him.
NM has a ton of spanish and native influence ie people with brown skin.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #41
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
I like your list, and am feeling the same need to relocate............soon.

For your consideration, Flagstaff, AZ, Prescott, AZ, Durango, CO, Grand Junction/Fruita, CO.

Happy hunting.
that's a good list. i'd say GJ is at the top.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #42
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i don't think he likes places where people are not all white & like him.
NM has a ton of spanish and native influence ie people with brown skin.

Si Senor...

wee like it here meester.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #43
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
9. Low culture shock - no hablo Espanol. Tambien no se hippy, Mormon, or cowboy.

sorry you're not gonna find your ultimate white chocolate melting pot out here and the places that are closer to that also are much colder and snowier.
Quote:
... NM has a ton of spanish and native influence ie people with brown skin.
When I first moved to CO, I met someone who said she was a 6th generation native Coloradoan. She is highly educated, from a Hispanic background, and is 74 now. Some quick math says her family was living in Colorado LONG before it became part of the US or even before English-speaking people arrived here.

The show "How the States Got their Shapes" said that New Mexico's borders purposely included most Spanish-speaking peoples. Santa Fe was founded in 1610, 10 yrs. before the Pilgrims arrived, and was a regional capital. Taos Pueblo is 800 yrs. old.

I think the Native Americans and Spanish-speaking people were here first, and they are the ones experiencing "culture shock".
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #44
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42 View Post
When I first moved to CO, I met someone who said she was a 6th generation native Coloradoan. She is highly educated, from a Hispanic background, and is 74 now. Some quick math says her family was living in Colorado LONG before it became part of the US or even before English-speaking people arrived here.
I have a good friend here whose family first moved to the area a little over 300 years ago. He is an old Hispanic cowboy, about 80 years old and lives on the old original family land grant. He still a little wild and terrorizes the cute girls at the Diamond Belle saloon when he comes to town. His family is very interesting; his cousin was somewhat famous for being one of the head wranglers for all the John Ford westerns filmed around 4 corners in the 30s to the 50s.

If someone wants to avoid different cultures, you miss out meeting some wonderful and fascinating people who might have a story you've never heard.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 03:59 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #45
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post

If someone wants to avoid different cultures, you miss out meeting some wonderful and fascinating people who might have a story you've never heard.
+1000