ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #61
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,092
How much time have you spent in the West, especially in any of the states you have expressed an interest in?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #62
steve68steve OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
I looked back through the posts but didn't see what kind of work you and/or your wife are looking for.
Those three cities are all a bit different. Cortez is probably has the smallest economy due to its size.
Durango has a college and is a bicycle/ski community.
Farmington seems to be growing. I think a lot of it is the gas industry.
My resume is heavy on quality manager or quality engineer in manufacturing. I'm not married to quality, tho, and I have a weird range of skills.

My wife can telecommute with her current employer anywhere in the US. She's currently an insurance call center monkey. She's had a bunch of retail management jobs, started as medical assistant way back ... and has an equally weird range of skills.

We don't have kids, debt, or a fancy lifestyle. We're into self-sufficiency, we're both cheap, and we'd rather be happy than wealthy. All this to say I need A job, not necessarily a 'great' job. I'm willing to take a pay cut to live somewhere we'd love.

'12 Glee
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #63
steve68steve OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
How much time have you spent in the West, especially in any of the states you have expressed an interest in?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
None. Why do you ask? Or rather, what don't I know that I should?

Right now I'm researching to narrow down a few places that tick most of the boxes, then we'll go visit them. We will fall in love with one and start looking for jobs there, or we will decide there's nothing there for us and look elsewhere. Or maybe we'll fall in love and not be able to find jobs.

'12 Glee
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #64
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post
My resume is heavy on quality manager or quality engineer in manufacturing. I'm not married to quality, tho, and I have a weird range of skills.

My wife can telecommute with her current employer anywhere in the US. She's currently an insurance call center monkey. She's had a bunch of retail management jobs, started as medical assistant way back ... and has an equally weird range of skills.

We don't have kids, debt, or a fancy lifestyle. We're into self-sufficiency, we're both cheap, and we'd rather be happy than wealthy. All this to say I need A job, not necessarily a 'great' job. I'm willing to take a pay cut to live somewhere we'd love.
I'd say fly into Albuquerque and take a drive north. I'm gonna guess that Farmington will fit your criteria.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #65
gbmaz
Power Newb

Oddometer: 388
In addition to the shock of a new culture, the landscape is completely different than the east. I grew up in NY and spent several years in the Adirondacks right before I moved out west in the early 90s. I had never been out west and was overwhelmed by the landscape. It was totally different and I fell in love with it, but not everyone does.

I have met numerous transplants where half the couple loves it and the other half is homesick for the trees and water. Be sure to have honest conversations about that because the landscape ain't changing.

Keep in mind that 50 miles can mean a whole new landscape as well.

The advice to fly into ABQ and head north is good. Do some more research and plan out places to visit. Then get on ADV and line up some folks from each place to meet up with for dinner/beers to get the local scoop.

Another possibility is making it out to the WestFest or RMAR rallies this summer to meet inmates from all over the Rockies.

I have lived in NM (Albuquerque, Los Alamos), CO (Pueblo, Boulder), and AZ (Tucson) and would be happy field questions about any of those places.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #66
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmaz View Post
In addition to the shock of a new culture, the landscape is completely different than the east. I grew up in NY and spent several years in the Adirondacks right before I moved out west in the early 90s. I had never been out west and was overwhelmed by the landscape. It was totally different and I fell in love with it, but not everyone does.

+1 on that. Coincidentally, I graduated from Paul Smiths College in '93 (in the Adirondacks). Two weeks later I was working in Telluride.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #67
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
+1 on that. Coincidentally, I graduated from Paul Smiths College in '93 (in the Adirondacks). Two weeks later I was working in Telluride.
bullshit! No one really WORKS in Telluride!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #68
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
bullshit! No one really WORKS in Telluride!
I wish!
Working there is one thing, living there is another.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #69
gbmaz
Power Newb

Quote:
Graduated from North Country Community College in Saranac Lake in '91.

Met quite a few folks from Paul Smiths in my time there.

I love the Rockies and would never move back east, but a part of my heart will always be in the High Peaks and canoe country of the Adirondacks. I was a Wilderness Recreation Leadership major so there are many great memories.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #70
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post
9. Low culture shock - no hablo Espanol. Tambien no se hippy, Mormon, or cowboy.
Maybe you should stay east of the Mississippi.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #71
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 196
I moved to Vermont and then Wyoming from Pittsburgh so I have some relevant life experience to share.

First off, unless you move to Wyoming, where it's just staggeringly white (I mean that, there are almost no minorities here... it's really, really weird to get used to) you'll be involved in a lot more hispanic and native american culture, and you should embrace it.

Utah 3.2 beer seriously is terrible.

Wyoming is cold as shit and windier than the surface of Jupiter in winter.

The front range near Denver is very, very congested. All the way up to Cheyenne and south past Co Springs. It's a lot of people. But it is warm in the winter, I often wish I had that kind of weather when I walk to my truck in 10 degrees with a 40mph crosswind inflating my jacket through my hood as though it's an air intake on a jet aircraft.

Idaho is awesome, but cold. Lots of outdoor recreation and not many people. same with Montana. I'd move to either in a heartbeat.

Northern NM is incredible if you are open to SW culture.

Just pick a place and move, you can always go back to PA if you don't like it. The west is different in the east in so many ways you will not anticipate that you really need to experience it to figure out what you like/don't like and want for your home.

Moto tour perhaps???

And finally, everywhere out here is arid. It's amazing. Last summer I was sitting on my porch having a beer and thoughts "geez, it's kinda humid, I'm sweating." I checked my phone and it was only 48% humidity lol. The arid weather is amazing, I dont think I could deal with the east coast humidity again.
Solo Ride Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #72
gbmaz
Power Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
And finally, everywhere out here is arid. It's amazing. Last summer I was sitting on my porch having a beer and thoughts "geez, it's kinda humid, I'm sweating." I checked my phone and it was only 48% humidity lol. The arid weather is amazing, I dont think I could deal with the east coast humidity again.
You are tougher than me, I start bitching when it gets above 30% humidity. Seven years in Tucson, AZ really messed with my perspective on that.