User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
CanadianX OP
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,327
Canadian Int'l Car Show

Took in the show this weekend and have come to the realization that I am not the car guy I once was. Cool to see the new models and shiny cars but there wasn't anything that I was thinking I wanted to go out and buy. Did see the new WC GSA that BMW had on display. Once annoyance was the people who let their rug rats run wild, climb over cars sit in them for ever despite lines of people wanting to get a look inside and rip off buttons and knobs like little kleptos. I think if I were to go to a show like this again I would bring bags of chocolate covered coffee beans in the future and hand them out with cards saying the kids are getting free puppies or ponies. Let the parents deal with that.

Did get to see the new Audi A3 sedan, potential replacement for the wife's car. Meh it was alright but she and I liked the Q3 better which then brought us full circle to thinking the Subaru Forester is a likely replacement.

Some of the exotics were neat. Here was a sobering moment that occurred when walking by the Maserati display. All the vehicles have displays with tablets giving their spec and prices. One was listed at $67k - yeah ok it is a Maserati, exotic etc...the sobering thought - most of the pickups I saw upstairs were close to the same price. Unbelievable that somehow the price of a pick up has climbed through the roof and we keep buying them.

I'll be keeping my 2003 car and 2006 SUV for some time to come.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,262
Thanks for sharing... I wanted to take this in but never had the chance. Will definitely try next year.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
CanadianX OP
Oh!? That is deep.

Not an expert but I think that if you could go on a weekday during the day the experience would be better given that there will likely be a lot less people. Some cool cars to be seen but most of it can be seen on the dealers lots.

Was intrigued to learn chevy will launch their mid size pick up (canyon) with a diesel next year or the year after. Interesting. Brought this up with the toyota guy who smiled and said I was the 20th person to ask if toyota would bring the Hilux here. His response was: "depends on California, the California market and emissions requirements dictates the models that are sold in North America." I think that was a "no"
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
... I'll be keeping my 2003 car and 2006 SUV for some time to come.
I'll be keeping my 1986 minivan for some time to come.

If I could afford something new, I think I'd get something old as in pre-emission controls/computerized, fix it up and hardly drive it; just like I hardly drive the minivan.

The moto is 2009 and the mountain bike is 2011.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
1200GSCanuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Thanx for the overview. Going Wednesday morning. Heading in by viaràil. Hoping to see a 2015 convertible mustang which I could be quite interested in buying if it strikes a chord
1200GSCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200GSCanuck View Post
Thanx for the overview. Going Wednesday morning. Heading in by viaràil. Hoping to see a 2015 convertible mustang which I could be quite interested in buying if it strikes a chord
For what it's worth, there is no 2015 convertible Mustang at the show... just the red fastback that we've seen in the press in recent months. It is (still) marked as a prototype, so you cannot climb in and around nor open the hood, etc.

Here are my pics from Saturday:

EmmEff screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 09:14 AM Reason: Added pics
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
CanadianX OP
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
For what it's worth, there is no 2015 convertible Mustang at the show... just the red fastback that we've seen in the press in recent months. It is (still) marked as a prototype, so you cannot climb in and around nor open the hood, etc.
You beat me to it. I thought the prototype was a good looking car, kind of reminded me of a Aston Martin.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
1200GSCanuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post

Here are my pics from Saturday:

Hey. Thanks for the pics. Nice. You saved me a trip as it was a rag top I was really wanting to check out. Maybe I will simply buy like a five year old mx5 or mini instead, save all the big bucks and get a couple more bikes,
1200GSCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote