ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #1
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
What kind of gear in the summer for the hot areas?

What kind of gear do you guys need in the summer? Would somthing like the Rev'It Sand 2 be workable in a Phoenix summer? I've got a long ride this summer, and I need gear that can take me in both Phoenix in the summer and through nighttime San Francisco temps (and Fort Collins and some other cold places), so I can't go full mesh. If that wouldn't work, would something like the Sand 2 pants with a mesh jacket work?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
I like the Tourmaster Flex pants because they have an outer skin that zips off. Most other pants must be taken off to remove a liner for ventilation, that's just not covenant sometimes. The Flex pants must be taken off to use the waterproof liner, but I just use a pair of rain pants and never use the liner. Skin on in the morning, zip it off in the heat of the day, zip it back on in the evening. The Flex jacket works the same way, but has to many zippers to mess with, for a jacket I'd get something with a simple removable liner, next time.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
What kind of gear do you guys need in the summer? Would somthing like the Rev'It Sand 2 be workable in a Phoenix summer? I've got a long ride this summer, and I need gear that can take me in both Phoenix in the summer and through nighttime San Francisco temps (and Fort Collins and some other cold places), so I can't go full mesh. If that wouldn't work, would something like the Sand 2 pants with a mesh jacket work?
I have a Rev it Sand 2 - love it. Good up to mid eighties, then not enough ventilation. Phoenix in summer is well over a hundred daily and that dry heat crap is just that - its friggin hot. You'll be hot riding naked in Phoenix in July. Most of the country is hot in the summer. My two cents - go full mesh and quality under layer(s) as needed. Under layers pack up light and small. I rarely wear my Sand 2 here in the summer months - mesh with a layer or two under that I take off as needed. Pants? I got nuthin'. You'll just be hot. Coast to coast - sounds like a good one.

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,169
I like the Motoport Ultra II jacket in stretch kevlar. You can save some money by getting that in cordura vs kevlar. Mesh allows to much hot air through when it's really hot. You want your sweat or soaked undergarment to cool you with evaporation right by your skin. On really hot days, the hot air flowing over your skin either through mesh or worse, over bare skin acts as a convection oven. Motoport has a zip in waterproof breathable laminate. Being able to remove the laminate makes the Motoport superior in desert heat to all the other jackets with a sewn in laminate. REPEAT: superior in big desert heat, not other more moderate heat conditions.

So if you're going to ride alot in desert heat, I think the Motoport is the best. If you're just going to ride through some desert heat, you can get by with other jackets with combinations of venting and ice, and those jackets may be better for your all around riding.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, my goal here is not what gear should I buy but how miserable is the heat and will I be desperate for mesh on my trip. Maybe my Sand 2 suit plus a Challenger cooling vest would get the job done?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #6
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I use the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket. Great for all temps. Outer shell zips off for a mesh jacket, Add shell and liner and its good down to the 40s for me. Any jacket that just has vents is to warm for me in the desert temps....
Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
I like the Motoport Ultra II jacket in stretch kevlar. You can save some money by getting that in cordura vs kevlar. Mesh allows to much hot air through when it's really hot. You want your sweat or soaked undergarment to cool you with evaporation right by your skin. On really hot days, the hot air flowing over your skin either through mesh or worse, over bare skin acts as a convection oven. Motoport has a zip in waterproof breathable laminate. Being able to remove the laminate makes the Motoport superior in desert heat to all the other jackets with a sewn in laminate. REPEAT: superior in big desert heat, not other more moderate heat conditions.

So if you're going to ride alot in desert heat, I think the Motoport is the best. If you're just going to ride through some desert heat, you can get by with other jackets with combinations of venting and ice, and those jackets may be better for your all around riding.
Sweat is good. I also ride with a Camel back in a tank bag. Mack sure you have a light colored helmet also, A black helmet will make your brain a hard boiled egg
Old 02-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
I found for longer rides the cooling vest works great. If you open up too many vents it only helps for a 1/2 hour then dries out and you gotta keep soakin it. Camel back or some kinda drink bladder comes in real handy I fill it with ice and dump in a gator aid.

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,083
Quote:
Yeah, my goal here is not what gear should I buy but how miserable is the heat and will I be desperate for mesh on my trip. Maybe my Sand 2 suit plus a Challenger cooling vest would get the job done?
Personally, I couldn't do Phoenix summer temps in anything but full mesh. I would just carry a thin impermeable layer and warm sweater to wear under it in San Francisco.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post

This.

It won't be what you're used to - assuming you are in VA. Example: normally around here an open face shield = cooler ride. In the desert it is cooler closed. Open visor for a blast furnace feel.

I remember tucking in behind the tank panniers as it was cooler than having the hot air hit my legs directly.

Quote:
No doubt it'll be hot but as jonz says, too much ventilation does not let your body cool properly - evaporates the sweat before it can cool your body. Results in body overheating.. DAMHIK. This is an issue as temps hover around and above your normal body temperature.

Google it.

edit: FWIW, as a young lad I lived in AZ. In the desert. Remember going to Phoenix and it being fooking HOT! compared to what we were used to in the desert. That was when I was a bit more adaptable. YMMV.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
This.

It won't be what you're used to - assuming you are in VA. Example: normally around here an open face shield = cooler ride. In the desert it is cooler closed. Open visor for a blast furnace feel.

I remember tucking in behind the tank panniers as it was cooler than having the hot air hit my legs directly.

No doubt it'll be hot but as jonz says, too much ventilation does not let your body cool properly - evaporates the sweat before it can cool your body. Results in body overheating.. DAMHIK. This is an issue as temps hover around and above your normal body temperature.

Google it.

edit: FWIW, as a young lad I lived in AZ. In the desert. Remember going to Phoenix and it being fooking HOT! compared to what we were used to in the desert. That was when I was a bit more adaptable. YMMV.
I have experienced that. For highway riding, you are probably right.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Wow, definitely didn't know that! Thanks!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Lived in Mesa and worked in Phoenix for a while, used to put my helmet in the freezer for a while before the 1/2 hr ride home seemed to help a bunch

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
rpclark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I've always worn a well washed and broken in jean jacket. It works well in OH in the 90s with high humidity. Sleeves unbuttoned, one buttoned in front. I've got a half helmet with a half snap on shield for hot weather. (Except in stopped traffic )
Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #15
NomorBills
WesternExplorer

Oddometer: 144
The very dry conditions here require 2 modified sets of gear.
Light and heavy. Modified by under gear

Cold & extreme heat : in the cold you want no air flow into your body like wise in the extreme heat(105 up) A wet heavy t-shirt or sweatshirt will stay wet and cool you longer if the airflow is limited. In a mesh jacket you will be cooked like in a convection oven.

Mesh is good for the 80 thru the 90s over 100 and your better to limit the air flow. Take breaks offen to drink and rewet your under garmets.

The same gear you use for the cold will work against the ex-heat.

Full finger gloves unless you want your knuckles roasted.
NomorBills is offline   Reply With Quote