Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
South to Patagonia or east through Paraguay?....

....Im currently in Cochabamba and taking stock of my situation. I think I have about 5-6 weeks left to ride. The original plan was to go south through Argentina and to get as close to Ushuaia as possible. But the prospect of Paraguay, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires, and Uruguay intrigues me as well. Dont know how the weather is going to be either.

Having a tough time with this one, but Im definitely going to the salt flats at Uyuni so I have until then to decide.

What would you guys do?
brecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
South, but you don't have to reach ushuaia if time is not enough. Ushuaia is just a milestone. Nothing spectacular.

First of all, I would try to enjoy the bolivian altiplano as much as possible. That place is IMHO the most amazing place in South America.

As you go south, the closer you stay to the border line of Argentina-CHile and on the Andes, the greater the ride is. High mountain passes, totally rugged environment, fantastic national parks.
But after Torres del Paine that's pretty much it. Nothing more to see (on a motorcycle that is)... just a boring ride to tiera del fuego.

south america trip
roadspirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,452
BUT.......when you get to tdf and ride the last 20 miles through the National Park you will get such a feeling inside it can be most overwhelming..........................

It's the end of the road going south.............how cool is that?

Depends on your goals.................for us to ride as far as one can was the goal........................................

If you are on vacation and just looking around you need go no further......there is TONS of stuff to see right were you are.........

If you want to ship from Ushuaia to California we have a container there or I can give you a great contact there for other shipping.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
dolickc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Is it raining much there now?
I'm hoping for a rear shock fix on my klr in Salta Arg right now and then may head north.
With a similar amount of time I headed south and crossed to Chile and to Usuia from there. Many say that there is nothing there and for me that was the attraattraction. I'm glad I did it. I would be very disapointed had I not. I understand that it is not for everyone though. Can be tough riding with wind and weather but look at where you are! If you appreciate the far north in North Amer then this has similar qualities.

I've spent many months traveling around South America using storage in Montevideo Uruguay.

Craig
dolickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecchi View Post
....Im currently in Cochabamba and taking stock of my situation. I think I have about 5-6 weeks left to ride. The original plan was to go south through Argentina and to get as close to Ushuaia as possible. But the prospect of Paraguay, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires, and Uruguay intrigues me as well. Dont know how the weather is going to be either.

Having a tough time with this one, but Im definitely going to the salt flats at Uyuni so I have until then to decide.

What would you guys do?
I'd say take the road less traveled and discover Paraguay. There's a report somewhere from a gringo riding local bikes in Paraguay. A pain to find it in my phone from where I'm posting. Good luck wherever you decide to go

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
marksgone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
After heading down south and now north up near Iguazu I know what I would do again. For what it is worth, following the Andes down the spine of the continent is a must. The Paso de San Francisco, ruta 7 in Chile, Lakes District near Bariloche and the Moreno Glacier (National Park) were true highlights.
Your adventure however will differ from mine, enjoy the ride!
marksgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I just crossed over into Bolivia from the South, currently in Tupiza, Bolivia.

Has anyone ridden offroad from Tupiza to Uyuni, on the direct route? I am wondering if I should take the opportunity to change over to my Dunlop D606s from here northward. I keep hearing about the rainy season, and see evidence of mudslides.

I loved the lake region in Chile near Puerto Varas and Lago Llanquihue. Be careful in Bariloche. It seems that this is a bad year for tourists being held up and having bikes messed with. El Bolson, Argentina has good beer.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,776
I would spend my time flogging Bolivia, Peru, Northern Chile, and Northern Argentina.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
lalo

do what Lalo did -

Enjoy Salta (great 400 year old city) and then make your way south to Mendoza (wine country) and maybe Bariloche, then cut across the Pampas to Bs As and Uruguay if you want, and enjoy Argentina at it's best !

malbec and asado till you choke, then wash down with mate :)

you only live once
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As cool as I think the Paraguay - Iguazu, BA - Uruguay idea is, I think I will try to do what hwunger says. I would be missing great things either way, so I figure Ill stick with the original plan and head south - but maybe Ill be kind of forced to cut across to BA if time and weather are not on my side as far as riding all the way to Ushuaia.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
mamboman
n00b

Oddometer: 7
You can't go wrong whichever route you choose, but, if you want my 2 cents worth... there's something haunting about the desolate, flat, semi-arid plains of Patagonia...

Wind is a problem, but riding early in the morning avoids the strongest winds.
My moto adventures in Patagonia click here

mamboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
I went all the way to Ushuaia and what has been said before, the ride through the gates there is totally amazing BUT when and if I ride SA again I will not go there. As a tourist spot it's not really worth all the wind, bad roads and very large effort to get there but I did like riding the pampas for awhile.

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Hey, Ben,

It was great meeting up with you in Sucre. When you mailed me, I had already left the condor (first gringo in the door this morning), and was en route to Cochabamba. You were right, it was nine hours of silt and cobbles. Man, pity the laborers who built that 60 miler cobblestone road, eh? Not quite the Road of Bones, but it must have been prison labor.

One of the great loops that i did was Southern Chile, Lago Llanquihue and Puerto Varas,

Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Mike, just saw your reply on here. Yeah - the road to Cochabamba! I hope you had good clear weather, Im sure you enjoyed it as much as me. Im still in Sucre for 1 more night - still loving it here. I hope you are digging Cochabamba
Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Man, I had an offer of lodging for as long as I wanted, just cook and keep providing wine, in Surcre. I was about to get trapped, and I needed to maintain my inertia.

Cochabamba was fun. I decided to look at oururo, but the half million people descending for Carneval, with almost all lodging pre-booked and 500% upcharge for what was left, made me push to La Paz.

Unfortunately, I picked up a rock that cored my radiator, as well. So, I arrived in La Paz, in the dark, amid ten thousand of my closest friends, all driving homicidal collectivos. It was the worst driving day of the last five years.

So, I have been in La Paz the last three days, fixing my bike before Carneval shuts businesses down for a week. Happy to say, everything appears to work, now. And, I am an expert in KLR radiator removal and reinstallation.

Have a great time. Uyuni, next?