Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
990/Mr. Peanut intervention, need info

Hey guys,
Tried using the forum search function, but it sucks, so sorry if this is (most likely) a re-hash. Feel free to direct me to older threads if they apply.

Just signed onto the LED lighting thing- preordered the Cyclops H4 replacement module for the main headlight, ordered a set of quad aux lights from LEDRider, and so now need to address that pathetic Ray-O-Vac 1950's dying flashlight bulb that so heinously insults the rest of this fine machine with it's very existence, much less it's sorry attempt at producing photons. The manual says it's a W5W parking light; a little googling shows this might also be a 194 wedge-based bulb. Going to superbrightleds.com shows lots of options to replace the 194 type of bulb, but they list 'W5WB' as the only 'W' series bulb they replace. So, my questions are:

- Will a 194 wedge based bulb swap in for the OEM W5W?
- If so, I noticed some of the replacement options (at superbrightleds) state they are 'error free' for CANBUS equipped vehicles, but not to use in a non-CANBUS environment; which is right for my 2011 990?
- If not, where should I look for this W5W?
- Are there any other (better) sources for this replacement?
- What was your solution for a replacement, if you, like myself, were unable to stomach this amazingly incongruous (and downright cruel) choice for a secondary light source on what is otherwise one of the finest motorcycles ever constructed?
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, nobody has done this? Pretty hard to believe...
2002 Concours (sold)
Old 02-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Decepticon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Eek Nop

I need 55W halogen comparable LED bulbs in H7 basemount. Do you know where I can get them?

A lot of bad things have been said about me, all of them are true
Decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
I need 55W halogen comparable LED bulbs in H7 basemount. Do you know where I can get them?
The H4 LED replacement I'm getting is a first production run pre-order for H4/H6 base applications only right now. I believe they plan on addressing other base sizes in the coming months, including H7's, but they're not committing to any kind of schedule at this point. Check out this thread.
2002 Concours (sold)
Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 595
The W5W is a direct replacement for the 194. I couldn't find any warnings about use with CANBUS systems.

Got a link?
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
The W5W is a direct replacement for the 194. I couldn't find any warnings about use with CANBUS systems.

Got a link?
Thanks for the reply; I don't remember exactly how I was searching originally, but it was something similar to 'w5w 194 wedge base', which produced this as one result among quite a few, roughly half of which had the 'CANBUS' warning.
2002 Concours (sold)
Old 02-22-2014, 05:07 AM   #7
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
I'm asking my trusted local KTM guy if KTMs use CANBUS or not. I think that it does not because the KTM has a fusebox. Assuming not, this is probably the LED to use in place of the 194 bulb in the headlight. I'm thinking of ordering one as soon as I get clarification.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ase-tower/397/
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I'm asking my trusted local KTM guy if KTMs use CANBUS or not. I think that it does not because the KTM has a fusebox. Assuming not, this is probably the LED to use in place of the 194 bulb in the headlight. I'm thinking of ordering one as soon as I get clarification.

Hey Brad, thanks for checking. I didn't think the '11 990 was CANBUS, but wanted to get confirmation; I'm probably confusing it with something I read about the 1190's. Got any rides planned for this year yet?
2002 Concours (sold)
Old 02-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,913
No CANBUS for general wiring on a 990 (IIRC the immobiliser stuff is CANBUS).

Post some pics up of the LED replacement bulbs if you get a chance I am interested in how they work in a standard reflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
phycospecialties
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

It will not work! You have to make sure the outer circumference of the light you order will fit in the hole in the head light assembly for the park lamp. I ordered a few for my 2012 990 in Amber. I don't have the pn# but the 13 led wedge bulb is the largest that will fit.
phycospecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #11
phycospecialties
Adventurer

Quote:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ase-tower/208/

This is what you want. The other is to large to fit in the hole In the head light housing. No need to worry about can bus specific bulbs. I put this in my 2012 990 and it works great.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys for the replies and info. Phyco, that bulb is actually one of the ones I was looking at originally, thanks for the link back to it.

It will be a bit of time before the weather here lets up and I can get the new bulbs ordered and installed, but I will post back some before/after pics.
2002 Concours (sold)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
phycospecialties
Adventurer

Two LEDs

If you look at the housing there is an empty hole for a 194 bulb in the lower part of the head light. I installed one there and one in the upper light too. You will have to locate a socket for it though. Wish I could figure out the pic thing it looks really

http://justinpics.smugmug.com/Bike-s.../M/image-M.jpg
When I switch off the HID the whole headlight glows bright amber like the top section. But when on the HID washes it out and it's like the LED isn't even there.

phycospecialties screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 08:58 PM
Old 02-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
krumgrinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phycospecialties View Post
If you look at the housing there is an empty hole for a 194 bulb in the lower part of the head light. I installed one there and one in the upper light too. You will have to locate a socket for it though. Wish I could figure out the pic thing it looks really

When I switch off the HID the whole headlight glows bright amber like the top section. But when on the HID washes it out and it's like the LED isn't even there.
Now that's interesting... Did you add a switch to turn off the low beam? Don't see where that's possible with the bike in an OEM state, but I'm still in my first year with her so I might be missing something!
2002 Concours (sold)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
phycospecialties
Adventurer

Switched

Yes I ran a completely new headlight harness to my HID. Switched from a micro switch on the left bar switch assembly. An easier solution would be to install a euro switch. This will allow you to control your lights as you want. US law prohibits the turning off of MC lights. But as you can see two amber LEDs are more than adequate for visibility. With the added bonus of less battery draw when off-road. Read lots of starting and stoping, extended fan operation and so on.

phycospecialties screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 09:05 PM